2024 Election

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

2024 Election

Post by Bubba »

The opening event was last night's Town Hall with Trump on CNN.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/11/us/p ... c9f306a005
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: 2024 Election

Post by Bubba »

A little more on the fallout from the Town Hall

https://www.axios.com/trump-cnn-town-ha ... 5a8b1.html

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

What an absolute embarrassment to our country.

Shame on anyone who has ever or continues to support this vile piece of trash.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote: May 11th, '23, 21:24 A little more on the fallout from the Town Hall

They’ve made their bed and will lay in it … again.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Bubba wrote: May 11th, '23, 21:24 A little more on the fallout from the Town Hall

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), asked about Trump teasing pardons for a "large portion" of the Jan. 6 defendants, responded: "If you're asking me do I think you should pardon the people who engaged in rioting in here, no."
wasnt this dude part of the j6 planning??

btw, in general, the 2024 election terrifies me. the democrats need to get rid of biden yesterday. the republicans for all their faults are at least not a complete gerontocracy. i f*** hate the democrats (feinstein is a corpse who's heart is magically still beating, pelosi isnt far off from that, biden is a demented moderate republican), and i hate the republicans even more. what a mess of a country we have, ruled by people who work for billionaires and will be dead in a decade. i hope trump is the nominee over desantis for the republicans... only because desantis is actually competent at enacting his fascist agenda.

im so fed up with voting. ive been voting since i was 18, and this country just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. and i am not alone. people of all ideological beliefs are fed up and heavily armed. shits gonna get real spicy by 2025.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

"Happy Mother’s Day to ALL, in particular the Mothers, Wives and Lovers of the Radical Left Fascists, Marxists, and Communists who are doing everything within their power to destroy and obliterate our once great Country. Please make these complete Lunatics and Maniacs Kinder, Gentler, Softer and, most importantly, Smarter, so that we can, quickly, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!"

If my family had an older relative acting like this, we'd be discussing putting them in an institution. Yet, tens of millions of Americans worship this insane loser like he's a god and he is the leader of the GOP. WTF Trumpers? Seriously, what is wrong with you to support this?

Yes, the Democrats suck for not pushing Joe to step aside for a younger candidate, but at least Joe is not clinically insane.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

deadheadskier wrote: May 15th, '23, 05:49 "Happy Mother’s Day to ALL, in particular the Mothers, Wives and Lovers of the Radical Left Fascists, Marxists, and Communists who are doing everything within their power to destroy and obliterate our once great Country. Please make these complete Lunatics and Maniacs Kinder, Gentler, Softer and, most importantly, Smarter, so that we can, quickly, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!"

If my family had an older relative acting like this, we'd be discussing putting them in an institution. Yet, tens of millions of Americans worship this insane loser like he's a god and he is the leader of the GOP. WTF Trumpers? Seriously, what is wrong with you to support this?

Yes, the Democrats suck for not pushing Joe to step aside for a younger candidate, but at least Joe is not clinically insane.
Large swaths of American society resent and envy others. A subset of this swath is vindictive. Democrats have this too, but have thus far kept the real crazies at bay.

Has been and always will be a heart issue, but I digress ...

I think a lot of folks are able to put aside the diarrhea of the mouth as just noise and focus on his policies (e.g., talk/bluster vs action). I just have a hard time identifying a Trump policy that had an overwhelming positive impact - maybe the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act - but this came at great cost and added to an already ballooning debt. How great a cost? Well the tax cuts account for 1/4 of our nation's entire debt.
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on May 15th, '23, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Doesn't matter what his policies are because he lacks the skill to implement those policies even when he has the political capital he needs via controlling all three branches.

How people think he has the management chops to put action behind the bluster is astonishing. You have to be a total moron to believe in his abilities
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Ron DeSantis Has a Problem. It’s Florida.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... e-00098444

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I mean technically, Trump is a Florida man now, too.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 25th, '23, 10:33
easyrider16 wrote: May 25th, '23, 09:57Right now DeSantis v. Biden looks like it favors DeSantis, but I suspect that might change. DeSantis has done some really kooky stuff in FL what with banning books and don't say gay etc., and I doubt that will play well on the national stage.
Meanwhile, we can only hope ... unfortunately he will be seen as a RINO.

Chris Sununu Mulls Launching Doomed GOP 2024 Bid
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/05 ... 4-bid.html
Chris Sununu is accelerating plans to run for president, with close allies telling The Dispatch the New Hampshire governor wants to seek the Republican nomination and is exploring avenues for mounting a viable 2024 campaign.

In telephone calls and in-person meetings, Sununu is pitching a potential White House bid to wealthy Republican donors in New Hampshire who have backed his four gubernatorial campaigns—and to top GOP financiers across the country. The response is encouraging the governor to move forward. Sununu’s political operation has conducted polling to test messaging and political competitiveness with Republican voters and is holding conversations with prospective campaign staff in the key, early primary states.
I like Sununu a lot. Unfortunately, he is an outlier in today's republican party.

I'm also not sure I'll vote for a Republican for president until the supreme court is more balanced out to where it was before.
Maybe this fits more in the Election 2024 thread. As saying, I do like Sununu and would absolutely vote for him for Governor if I were in NH. In prior years he would also be 100% the type of candidate I would prefer to back running for president. But as mentioned, as long as the supreme court is so lopsided, I'm not supporting a Republican for president.
Don't Killington Pico
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I listened to a bit of DeSantis on Twitter today. I would say generally that he did a pretty good job. He seemed articulate, on point, and coherent, every bit a counterpoint to Trump's crazy. On the other hand, it seemed like it was pretty scripted. He was in a very friendly forum, with just a handful of people asking questions, and all of them were giving him softballs. There was no push back on any of his claims and no real back and forth exchange of ideas.

Most interesting to me was his criticism of private equity making decisions not to fund other private companies based on "woke" ideology. He seems to think this is some kind of violation of people's fundamental rights. It was hard not to feel the extreme irony as he is using the power of state government to punish Disney because of their ideology.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Hmm... looks like it's a strategic decision by DeSantis to only go on friendly forums:
DeSantis' insular operation has turned down interview requests from national media outlets while prioritizing access for conservative outlets — including a tiny Florida publication, the Florida Standard, that reports suggest was cooked up by DeSantis donors.
I wonder if that will backfire since Trump is willing to go on decidedly unfriendly forums like CNN and take the media head-on.

https://www.axios.com/2023/05/25/desant ... x-news-cnn
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Instantly disqualifying …

DeSantis says he’ll consider pardoning Jan. 6 defendants, including Trump
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... trump/amp/
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

deadheadskier wrote: May 15th, '23, 05:49 "Happy Mother’s Day to ALL, in particular the Mothers, Wives and Lovers of the Radical Left Fascists, Marxists, and Communists who are doing everything within their power to destroy and obliterate our once great Country. Please make these complete Lunatics and Maniacs Kinder, Gentler, Softer and, most importantly, Smarter, so that we can, quickly, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!"

my brain hurts. "radical left fascists" is literally impossible. fascism is a right wing ideology by default, it centers on a strict social hierarchy and in groups vs out groups with the in group dominant and every other group subservient at best or eradicated at worst. left wing ideology in contrast is much less hierarchical (taken to the extreme, anarchic like myself) and less in group vs out group stuff, more inclusive overall. totally f*** wild and im sure the public will eat that sh*t up because weve defunded education since no child left behind's focus on endless pointless testing (i was the first year of that!). anyone with an ounce of political awareness regardless of their beliefs would know such a phrase is an oxymoron.

joes not clinically insane although he is 100% part of the problem. im still mad at AOC and the squad for calling him the "most progressive president since FDR" while he forced the train strike to not even begin and does all sorts of anti labor sh*t, not to mention being the architect of the 1994 crime bill and the whole student loans cant be discharged in bankruptcy sh*t that earned him the nickname of senator mastercard.

if were serious about preventing fascism in this country JOE HAS TO GO. hes going to lose. i just hope he loses to trump over desantis, because defascist will find away to legally gas people like me. over my dead body, of course.