Smoke

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Smoke

Post by daytripper »

Was just outside for 15 min here on LI and my eyes are burning. How's the smoke at K?
RustyK
Whipping Post

Re: Smoke

Post by RustyK »

Looks real smokey on the North ridge cam.

well...taking a closer look, :shock: it might be fog too...

FAA issues ground stop at LaGuardia Airport in New York due to smoke
From CNN's Pete Muntean

The Federal Aviation Administration has implemented a ground stop for flights bound for New York’s LaGuardia Airport due to smoke.

Flights going to LaGuardia are being kept at their departing airports until 2 p.m. ET, according to an FAA bulletin. The FAA says the chance of an extension is “low,” but delays could follow.
Where is Happy Hour ?
irab82
Black Carver

Post by irab82 »

Drove down the NY Thruway earlier today from the Berkshires down to NJ. It was like a scene out of a post apocalyptic movie.
http://www.IraSez.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Air quality alerts the past few days ended at midnight last night. Winds have shifted smoke further west and south.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

RustyK wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 13:03 FAA issues ground stop at LaGuardia Airport in New York due to smoke
From CNN's Pete Muntean
The Federal Aviation Administration has implemented a ground stop for flights bound for New York’s LaGuardia Airport due to smoke.

Flights going to LaGuardia are being kept at their departing airports until 2 p.m. ET, according to an FAA bulletin. The FAA says the chance of an extension is “low,” but delays could follow.
This is blowing smoke up somebody...

Airlines routinely land and take off at visibilities under 1/4 mile. Recent runway visibilities:

Teterboro: 1 ¼ mile, worst it's been all day
Newark: 1/2 mile, worst it's been all day
La Guardia: 1 full mile, worst it's been all day
White Plains: 1 mile
Bridgeport: 1 mile

Newark is worse than La Guardia, no idea why LGA issued a ground stop.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mister Moose wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 14:45
RustyK wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 13:03 FAA issues ground stop at LaGuardia Airport in New York due to smoke
From CNN's Pete Muntean

Airlines routinely land and take off at visibilities under 1/4 mile. Recent runway visibilities:

The particulate matter in smoke probably far worse for jet engines than water vapor. La Guardia likely has more trans Atlantic flights, less opportunities to divert if there are engine issues. Red Rider would be the expert, though.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

From CNN's Pete Muntean

How pilots can understand the chatter here from the tower, i have no idea: https://cam.airlive.net/lga/
I did think the normal vis was around a 1/2 mi at the least, but you'd know better.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 16:06
From CNN's Pete Muntean

The particulate matter in smoke probably far worse for jet engines than water vapor. La Guardia likely has more trans Atlantic flights, less opportunities to divert if there are engine issues. Red Rider would be the expert, though.
I'm sure there is some quantifiable amount of increase wear in smoke, but I never heard of suspended operations. The time you saw that was volcanic, the airborne ash was a no-fly zone. I guess they think the smoke in Queens is more abrasive than elsewhere. And JFK has far more international arrivals and departures.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

LaGuardia has zero trans Atlantic flights as it is not an international airport.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

^ coming late to this;you beat me to the correct answer ;0]
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

irab82 wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 13:56 Drove down the NY Thruway earlier today from the Berkshires down to NJ. It was like a scene out of a post apocalyptic movie.

yup, it's been looking a little too much like the earth scenes in Interstellar lately.

thankfully r*in is coming. hopefully reaching the sources of so much smoke

unsettling images from NYC here:
https://www.wsj.com/video/watch-million ... 8C604.html
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

daytripper wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 12:10 Was just outside for 15 min here on LI and my eyes are burning. How's the smoke at K?
There was more smoke in the air today in NJ than on a Sat night at your ski house! This afternoon I couldn't see Metlife Stadium from route 17.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

G-smashed wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 17:32
daytripper wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 12:10 Was just outside for 15 min here on LI and my eyes are burning. How's the smoke at K?
There was more smoke in the air today in NJ than on a Sat night at your ski house! This afternoon I couldn't see Metlife Stadium from route 17.
The smoke at the ski house smells better! :Toast
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

im originally from there, just got off the phone with my mom and also spoke to a friend whos still there, it sounds like the air quality is much worse there than here. and its not good here. my mom said you cant go outside without coughing, my friend sent me pictures that looked apocalyptic. here i was debating wearing an n95 because i was working outside all day yesterday (and the work i was doing certainly called for it) but i absolutely hate wearing them and chose not to because im dumb but also occasionally when really drunk ill smoke cigs so theres that... it looks like yesterday was worse than today, but hard to tell because today was overcast and unsettled sprinkling on and off all day whereas yesterday would of been blue skies and instead was light grey skies and eerie red sun. a friend compared the eeriness to that of a solar eclipse.

i think nows a good time to remind people of two things -

nowhere is safe from climate change

and

vermont has been very dry all spring, with where i live (edge of the national forest) being at high fire risk pretty much all of april and may. it just recently went down to moderate risk. on the last day someone lit off fireworks on top of superstar after last chair - very stupid move given the conditions. people need to be mindful of their surroundings when it comes to sparks as the last thing we want to be doing is setting off a forest fire in vermont when we dont have enough fire fighters locally to fight something that goes out of control (not to mention the fire dept drama...) and backup help nationally and internationally are already occupied by fighting other fires.