Smoke

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Re: Smoke

Post by ANGUS »

First world problems for aviation and travel. Nova scotia is taking it hard. Quebec too. The haze is bad here in NH. A member of my fire duty company was deployed last week, 1 of 20 sent north from New England task force. Imagine loosing your home?
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Mister Moose wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 16:19
rogman wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 16:06
Mister Moose wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 14:45
RustyK wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 13:03 FAA issues ground stop at LaGuardia Airport in New York due to smoke
From CNN's Pete Muntean
The Federal Aviation Administration has implemented a ground stop for flights bound for New York’s LaGuardia Airport due to smoke.

Flights going to LaGuardia are being kept at their departing airports until 2 p.m. ET, according to an FAA bulletin. The FAA says the chance of an extension is “low,” but delays could follow.
This is blowing smoke up somebody...

Airlines routinely land and take off at visibilities under 1/4 mile. Recent runway visibilities:

Teterboro: 1 ¼ mile, worst it's been all day
Newark: 1/2 mile, worst it's been all day
La Guardia: 1 full mile, worst it's been all day
White Plains: 1 mile
Bridgeport: 1 mile

Newark is worse than La Guardia, no idea why LGA issued a ground stop.
The particulate matter in smoke probably far worse for jet engines than water vapor. La Guardia likely has more trans Atlantic flights, less opportunities to divert if there are engine issues. Red Rider would be the expert, though.
I'm sure there is some quantifiable amount of increase wear in smoke, but I never heard of suspended operations. The time you saw that was volcanic, the airborne ash was a no-fly zone. I guess they think the smoke in Queens is more abrasive than elsewhere. And JFK has far more international arrivals and departures.
100% guessing here, but i bet the smoke changes the physics of getting enough lift to actually fly as smoke would likely change how heavy air is... like flying may be possible, but the speed/weight/etc to make a plane fly in these conditions might be beyond what the planes are engineered for. not to mention visibility being like fog.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Taken at 2 PM today. NJ is out there somewhere.
IMG_5607.jpg
(2.79 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Then later at 7 PM. If you zoom in, you might see the Chrysler Building.
IMG_5613.jpg
(2.61 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

fwiw, tonight's yankee game was postponed. a friend in nyc said that the AQI reached 377 (300+ considered hazardous) this afternoon - the worst level in nyc history. she went out a few mins with a blue mask and was choking. replaced it w an N95 to water her plants and in a few minutes her eyes were burning. said her neighborhood was a ghost town.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

ANGUS wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 20:11 First world problems for aviation and travel. Nova scotia is taking it hard. Quebec too. The haze is bad here in NH. A member of my fire duty company was deployed last week, 1 of 20 sent north from New England task force. Imagine loosing your home?
wish your company colleague safety and success. as of this morning 126 canadian fired are out of control.

i never imagined a fire that far north could wreak so much havoc over so much of the US...but of course that's how the cold and snow gets down our way.

and nyc has the worst pollution on the planet right now, with smoke getting down to the carolinas. be safe, all.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

NYC had the worst pollution on the planet yesterday, no where near as bad today. Still hazy and you can vaguely smell the smoke but incredibly better conditions than yesterday when it looked like the apocalypse. From about noon to 3 the world outside my window was orange.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

^* glad to hear. the mars-like images of nyc were pretty disturbing.
TheRat
Blue Chatterbox

Post by TheRat »

twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

NW CT cleared enough to see a normal sun this afternoon. the whole wrap around appeared to have shifted a bit north, but think it
was a temporary clear spot here. hard to say what's normal cloud cover vs smoke via radar.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

buckethead wrote: Jun 8th, '23, 09:09
ANGUS wrote: Jun 7th, '23, 20:11 First world problems for aviation and travel. Nova scotia is taking it hard. Quebec too. The haze is bad here in NH. A member of my fire duty company was deployed last week, 1 of 20 sent north from New England task force. Imagine loosing your home?
wish your company colleague safety and success. as of this morning 126 canadian fired are out of control.

i never imagined a fire that far north could wreak so much havoc over so much of the US...but of course that's how the cold and snow gets down our way.

and nyc has the worst pollution on the planet right now, with smoke getting down to the carolinas. be safe, all.
I just heard from my fellow brother. Mapping out perimeter. They got some r*in. Digging out hot spots. So they don't rekindle.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

^^ glad to hear. noble work he's doing and wish him and all the other brave firefighters safety and success.

we got clear skies this afternoon in NYS though now philly is at epicenter. and next - who knows.

hope all the philly area kzoners are safe and well - and that your skies clear next.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

just read this article and thought of your comment. vermont was only able to send two firefighters due to a lack of people. scary to think of, should we be hit with fires ourselves. not to veer too far into political but i cant help but wonder if the proliferation of short term rentals and second homes has led to people who would be volunteer firefighters / first responders to move out of state and volunteer elsewhere, or be unable to volunteer due to working longer hours to make it work here economically. i also wonder if this is a problem nationwide - less volunteers per capita than in decades past, due to the ever burdening squeeze placed on those who partake in wage labor where they dont have the time or energy to volunteer.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

asher2789 wrote: Jun 9th, '23, 15:36
just read this article and thought of your comment. vermont was only able to send two firefighters due to a lack of people. scary to think of, should we be hit with fires ourselves. not to veer too far into political but i cant help but wonder if the proliferation of short term rentals and second homes has led to people who would be volunteer firefighters / first responders to move out of state and volunteer elsewhere, or be unable to volunteer due to working longer hours to make it work here economically. i also wonder if this is a problem nationwide - less volunteers per capita than in decades past, due to the ever burdening squeeze placed on those who partake in wage labor where they dont have the time or energy to volunteer.
My town in NH had to hire 2 full time fireman to cover pretty much the whole week due to lack of volunteeres espically during normal working hours. Our chief is also now a paid position. The next town over is also hurting for volunteers and has to rely on mutual aid from surronding towns. They cannot send anybody during certain times of the day. Public works employees are also in short supply. If you have a CDL B and know how to drive a plow truck you can start at $25.00/ hour to lean on a shovel most of the year. So, yes it is also a problem in non resort areas in New England.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

daytripper wrote:LaGuardia has zero trans Atlantic flights as it is not an international airport.
It is international, but no transatlantic. 1500mi radius to/from LGA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

random1 wrote: Jun 11th, '23, 08:11
daytripper wrote:LaGuardia has zero trans Atlantic flights as it is not an international airport.
It is international, but no transatlantic. 1500mi radius to/from LGA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are no customs at LaGuardia, I do know of the 1500 rule but not sure on international outside of Canada and us territories in the Caribbean.