Great Bike Deal @ Supergo.com

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Great Bike Deal @ Supergo.com

Post by RJSVermont »

If anyone out there is looking for a good deal on a mid level component bike looky here:

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?lsto ... D_ID=25875

I know many of you more advanced riders will flame all over this, I am just offering others the chance to get a great frame with pretty decent components and a pretty good wheelset for half of what a bike this level should cost. Price shown is $549 but rumor has it there is a Supergo coupon code worth 15% off which brings the price down to about $460. (Google it?) The Hayes HFX hydraulic brakes (Same that I have on my $1700 bike) are worth over $200 dollars alone and the WTB wheelset alone sells for almost a couple of hundred beans.

Edit: I’m all about supporting your local bike shop, so posting this does pose almost a conflict of interest especially since almost all my bike gear has come from small family type bike shops. Biking however is very expensive and with many trails closing (Due to land preservation, etc.) and the sport itself losing popularity (Statistically) I think it’s great that someone can pick up a bike like this and still be able to compete on the amateur level at their local bike races without really breaking the bank. The more people out there riding, the greater the support for things like advocacy, trail maintenance, etc. I’m sorry if by posting this I have stepped on any bike dealer’s toes it is not really my intention.
Some things just can't be bought......
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

that is a killer deal if you kile the old school hard tails.
supergo is a great place 2 find deals.
fo a little more cash this is what I would sugest 4 an entry level bike.
http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=26078

Deore/lx drive train.
but as soon as the rear shock goes bad i would go with a Fox Raceing air shock.
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Bling Skier wrote:that is a killer deal if you kile the old school hard tails.

Deore/lx drive train.
Good call, I looked at that bike and it is a great bike for the price, along with shocck upgrade I would also go to a hydraulic brake when the original wears out.

Bling, anyway to measure for size (with out getting into a custom fit), just something to get in the right ball park then fine tune with stem and post changes if needed.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

shortski wrote:
Bling Skier wrote:that is a killer deal if you kile the old school hard tails.

Deore/lx drive train.
Good call, I looked at that bike and it is a great bike for the price, along with shocck upgrade I would also go to a hydraulic brake when the original wears out.

Bling, anyway to measure for size (with out getting into a custom fit), just something to get in the right ball park then fine tune with stem and post changes if needed.
Hummmm, with a slopeing top tube like that it is a bit harder 2 size some one without haveing the person and bike present.
With straight top tubes it easer 2 find the right size bike 4 the rider.
(Just straddle the bike and pull the bike up into your crotch...The looks on the gurls faces when U do this is priceless....but i digress...once it is pulled up. check the distance the front and rear wheel R off the floor.
it should B 1 inch) now U see why it is hadrer to size a V/slopeing top tube.

if U R going 2 go 4 that bike call supergo and give them your height/inseam mesurements and they will help U with sizeing.
(the s-g cust-service ppl are realy good folks 2 deal with).
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

Yeah that seems like a good deal as well if you're looking for something more downhill oriented. Wouldn't recommend it for any type of XC riding though. That single pivot rear suspension design would be uberly inefficient. Not sure if a propedal shock would even make a world of a difference. Too many people drool over full suspension when they are looking to just do general biking. I love my FS bike (Because it's a middle-higher end bike and is almost as efficient/light as a hardtail) but like DMC mentioned there's just something about a nice hardtail (I think stormchaser said something like this also but in a different context)

Good luck with the bike purchase Shortski
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

RJSVermont wrote:Yeah that seems like a good deal as well if you're looking for something more downhill oriented. Wouldn't recommend it for any type of XC riding though. That single pivot rear suspension design would be uberly inefficient. Not sure if a propedal shock would even make a world of a difference. Too many people drool over full suspension when they are looking to just do general biking. I love my FS bike (Because it's a middle-higher end bike and is almost as efficient/light as a hardtail) but like DMC mentioned there's just something about a nice hardtail (I think stormchaser said something like this also but in a different context)

Good luck with the bike purchase Shortski
Let me say this first i am not here 2 pick a fight....But U wrote: "that single pivot rear suspension design would be uberly inefficient."
I know there R better linkages that will make XC rideing smother.
But I have been rideing(off and on 4 over 10 years) a San Andres by mtncycle. and with the right rear shock I realy cant feel much of a change between a 4 bar linkage and a single pivit.
(i Know that most DH bikes run a Single piv rear but that does'nt make all XC bikes that run that setup any worse or better than 4 bar links...after all its the rider and not the ride...kind'a like skis, eh?}
Btw, I use to race an Amp Research B-5( Horst Link witha risse raceing air shock on the rear)(Now i run Fox Raceing on both the front and rear)
and for smooth race courses I would dust off my Ritchey P-21 hard tail.
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

what a joke - my schwinn rocket 88 has a WAY big difference between it and a single pivot.... .but i also splurged on a custom stratus rear hydracoil (air/oil/coil) rear shock w/ lock out etc.

But yea that Iron horse will really kick your ass on an uphill, but uphills suck anyways 8)

"Rock Shox Judy SL" :lol: They still make those?!?!! At the least is should have a phsylo etc. I'm more of a marzocchi man.
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

mogulmouse wrote:what a joke - my schwinn rocket 88 has a WAY big difference between it and a single pivot.... .but i also splurged on a custom stratus rear hydracoil (air/oil/coil) rear shock w/ lock out etc.

But yea that Iron horse will really kick your ass on an uphill, but uphills suck anyways 8)

"Rock Shox Judy SL" :lol: They still make those?!?!! At the least is should have a phsylo etc. I'm more of a marzocchi man.

Yeah, Marzocchi makes some nice forks along with Fox. I've ridden the judy SL before and it's actually not too bad compared to other $200 junk out there.
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

mogulmouse wrote:what a joke - my schwinn rocket 88 has a WAY big difference between it and a single pivot.... .but i also splurged on a custom stratus rear hydracoil (air/oil/coil) rear shock w/ lock out etc.

Zokes r great front shocks!
I use 2 run one on my old San Andres. untill I swiched over to a Fox raceing front shock , the fox shock has no flex and paired up with a chris king head set makes 4 a smooth ride.
Btw any rear shock with a lock out will make up hills a snap! even a Huffy!