The Trials Of Donald Trump

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: The Trials Of Donald Trump

Post by easyrider16 »

Fancypants wrote: Aug 15th, '23, 21:05 Glad you're all enjoying the destruction of our judicial institutions and the erosion of our constitutional rights. Repent before it's to late.
Connect the dots for me on this one. Each of these indictments followed the normal process of investigation, grand jury, and arraignment. Trump has all the rights any other criminal defendant has, including the right to attorneys (of which he has some of the highest paid), the right to remain silent (which he regularly chooses not to exercise), the right to move to dismiss for lack of probable cause, the right to a jury trial, to cross examine witnesses, to present evidence in his own defense, etc.

What rights has Trump been denied? How is it that following the normal process that would apply to any one of us suspected of committing crimes is eroding our constitutional rights?
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

So much WINNING!
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: Aug 16th, '23, 05:40
Fancypants wrote: Aug 15th, '23, 21:05 Glad you're all enjoying the destruction of our judicial institutions and the erosion of our constitutional rights. Repent before it's to late.
Connect the dots for me on this one. Each of these indictments followed the normal process of investigation, grand jury, and arraignment. Trump has all the rights any other criminal defendant has, including the right to attorneys (of which he has some of the highest paid), the right to remain silent (which he regularly chooses not to exercise), the right to move to dismiss for lack of probable cause, the right to a jury trial, to cross examine witnesses, to present evidence in his own defense, etc.

What rights has Trump been denied? How is it that following the normal process that would apply to any one of us suspected of committing crimes is eroding our constitutional rights?
How about his first amendment right to free speech including political discourse. Since when did that become a felony offense? These indictments are worth nothing more than a ham sandwich if brought to a court system somewhere outside of NYC, DC and Metro Atlanta. Call me what you will but, all 4 of Trump's prosecutions are littered with legal overreach and overcharging. Hope you can find your way out of the wilderness to realize that these are only distractions from the real corruption committed for years by Joe Biden and the Biden family.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Fancypants wrote: Aug 17th, '23, 21:42 How about his first amendment right to free speech including political discourse. Since when did that become a felony offense? These indictments are worth nothing more than a ham sandwich if brought to a court system somewhere outside of NYC, DC and Metro Atlanta. Call me what you will but, all 4 of Trump's prosecutions are littered with legal overreach and overcharging. Hope you can find your way out of the wilderness to realize that these are only distractions from the real corruption committed for years by Joe Biden and the Biden family.
I typed a thorough response, but then I realized you wouldn't believe anything I said anyway. So I'll just quote what Trump's own attorney general said about the Jan 2020 case.
"It's certainly a challenging case, but I don't think it runs afoul of the First Amendment," Barr told "Face the Nation" on Sunday. "From a prosecutor's standpoint, I think it's a legitimate case."

Trump's legal team argues he was indicted for political speech that was protected by the First Amendment. The indictment itself acknowledges that Trump "had a right, like every American, to speak publicly about the election and even to claim, falsely, that there had been outcome-determinative fraud during the election and that he had won."

"If that was all it was about, I would be concerned on a First Amendment front," Barr said.

But Trump's alleged actions went beyond political speech, he said.

"This involved a situation where the states had already made the official and authoritative determination as to who won in those states and they sent the votes and certified them to Congress," Barr said. "The allegation, essentially, by the government is that at that point, the president conspired, entered into a plan, a scheme, that involved a lot of deceit, the object of which was to erase those votes, to nullify those lawful votes."

"The other elements were the substitution of bogus panels — that were not authorized panels — to claim that they had alternative votes," he said. "And that was clearly wrong and the certifications they signed were false. But then pressuring the vice president to use that as a pretext to adopt the Trump votes and reject the Biden votes or even to delay it — it really doesn't matter whether it's to delay it or to adopt it or to send it to the House of Representatives. You have to remember a conspiracy crime is completed at the time it's agreed to and the first steps are taken. That's when the crime is complete
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-barr- ... he-nation/

Here's what he said about the documents case.
“This was a case entirely of his own making,” Mr. Barr said. “He had no right to those documents. The government tried over a year, quietly and with respect, to get them back — which it was essential that they do — and he jerked them around. And he had no legal basis for keeping them.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/18/us/p ... ussia.html

If you want to argue the Stormy Daniels case is legal overreach, you might have a case. As for the others, I don't see any basis for what you're saying. It sounds to me like you're just parroting what the right-wing media is saying about these cases, but if you actually read the indictments, you'd see they're lying. Don't fall for it like so many who fell for the Fox Domininion voting machine lies.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Fancypants wrote: Aug 17th, '23, 21:42
easyrider16 wrote: Aug 16th, '23, 05:40

How about his first amendment right to free speech including political discourse. Since when did that become a felony offense? These indictments are worth nothing more than a ham sandwich if brought to a court system somewhere outside of NYC, DC and Metro Atlanta. Call me what you will but, all 4 of Trump's prosecutions are littered with legal overreach and overcharging. Hope you can find your way out of the wilderness to realize that these are only distractions from the real corruption committed for years by Joe Biden and the Biden family.
It sure is amusing watching you Trumpers melt over the Bidens about potential financial gains from China and Ukraine, yet you never say a word about the hundreds of millions in contracts that Ivanka signed with China and Kushner did with Saudi Arabia while Trump was in office. Why is that?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

It's off topic, but Kushner's Saudi Arabia deal makes what Biden is being accused of look like chicken feed. It includes a $2 Billion investment from the Saudi wealth fund with Kushner's asset management firm. The firm charges an annual 1.25% management fee, which equates to $25 million *every year* that the funds remain with his company. It's been almost three years now. Keep in mind, this was a brand new company Kushner formed, the Saudis are his biggest investor, and they invested with him against the recommendation of their own due diligence advisors.

I think all of these politicians are finding ways to profit from their positions. Biden, Trump, Obama.. they all have done it. It's all bad and Congress should do something to make this harder to pull off without being prosecuted. But to try to derail the discussion of Trump's indictments with this matter is just trying to distract from the main issue at hand.
Last edited by easyrider16 on Aug 18th, '23, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Aug 18th, '23, 06:46 It's off topic, but Kushner's Saudi Arabia deal makes what Biden is being accused of look like chicken feed. It includes a $2 Billion investment from the Saudi wealth fund with Kushner's asset management firm. The firm charges an annual 1.25% management fee, which equates to $25 million *every year* that the funds remain with his company. It's been almost three years now.

I think all of these politicians are finding ways to profit from their positions. Biden, Trump, Obama.. they all have done it. It's all bad and Congress should do something to make this harder to pull off without being prosecuted. But to try to derail the discussion of Trump's indictments with this matter is just trying to distract from the main issue at hand.
It’s no secret US politicians are for sale. The Kushner thing seems to be the most extreme example of this. Saudi’s didn’t give this to him for nothing - wonder what they got in return.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I think we can have a pretty good idea:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nation ... a-n1026926

I don't think there's much overt quid pro quo in the real world. What I think is that these politicians are courted by business people, and offered sweetheart deals (e.g. Kushner) from which they can profit. The problem isn't bribery, it's undue influence. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. In most cases, it's not illegal. What Kushner did is technically not illegal. But I think you'd be incredibly naive not to recognize that Kushner did favors for the Saudis because he wanted to score a deal with them later. This is why I think conflicts of interest are such a problem, and we need better rules to prevent conflicts of interest between politicians and business.

Trump had so many conflicts of interest it was insane, and if people really cared about corruption, they would have considered those conflicts to be disqualifying. Unfortunately, people don't seem to care. When your political position is based on your identity, rather than what you want the government to do, it doesn't matter how corrupt the politician is. All that matters is that he's on your team and he's scoring goals. That's U.S. politics today in a nutshell.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bill Barr on why he thinks Trump's current legal woes are entirely self-inflicted, and he was warned not to do the things he is indicted for:
"I also didn't like the way he was spouting the 'Big Lie.' I thought that was irresponsible, but he took it much further than even I expected or anyone expected," Barr said during an interview appearance with Fox News. "And during this time, he was being told by lawyers in the White House that if he kept on doing this, he would spend the rest of his life tangling with the criminal justice process and that's exactly what's happened. He shouldn't be surprised and no one else should be surprised."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA1frUcn

On Fox News no less. Why can't you Trump people see this for what it is? Trump is not being prosecuted because of his politics. He's being prosecuted because he broke the law.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Aug 18th, '23, 11:10 Bill Barr on why he thinks Trump's current legal woes are entirely self-inflicted, and he was warned not to do the things he is indicted for:
"I also didn't like the way he was spouting the 'Big Lie.' I thought that was irresponsible, but he took it much further than even I expected or anyone expected," Barr said during an interview appearance with Fox News. "And during this time, he was being told by lawyers in the White House that if he kept on doing this, he would spend the rest of his life tangling with the criminal justice process and that's exactly what's happened. He shouldn't be surprised and no one else should be surprised."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA1frUcn

On Fox News no less. Why can't you Trump people see this for what it is? Trump is not being prosecuted because of his politics. He's being prosecuted because he ALLEGEDLY broke the law.I
Fixed it for you
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Will we see a superseding indictment? Or is this just a conspiracy theory?

https://x.com/capitolhunters/status/169 ... 02067?s=46
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I doubt it. It's further evidence to support the conspiracy charges already indicted, but I think Smith is being very careful in trying not to overreach.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

In today's edition of, you don't have to believe me about Trump's indictments, just ask your fellow Republicans, here is what Senator Bill Cassidy has to say:
Sen. Bill Cassidy described the federal case against former President Donald Trump over his retention of classified national security documents as “almost a slam dunk” on Sunday — and for a second time urged the Republican front-runner to drop out of the 2024 race.

The Louisiana Republican, who voted to convict Trump following the 45th president’s impeachment over his attempts to reverse his 2020 electoral loss, said the 40-count indictment brought against him in South Florida by special counsel Jack Smith was “a very strong case.”

“They have a tape recording of him speaking of it,” Cassidy told CNN’s “State of the Union.” “If that is proven, then we may have a candidate for president who has been convicted of a crime.”

“I think [President] Joe Biden needs to be replaced, but I don’t think Americans will vote for someone who’s been convicted,” added Cassidy. “So, I’m just very sorry about how all this is playing out.”
https://nypost.com/2023/08/21/sen-cassi ... slam-dunk/
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: Aug 21st, '23, 06:23 I doubt it. It's further evidence to support the conspiracy charges already indicted, but I think Smith is being very careful in trying not to overreach.
No he's not, overreach is Jack Smith's modus operandi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_McDonnell
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

With this link, are you suggesting SCOTUS will find Trump’s alleged crimes are actually part of his “official acts” as POTUS and all charges will be dropped?
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Aug 22nd, '23, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.