The Trials Of Donald Trump

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: The Trials Of Donald Trump

Post by easyrider16 »

I'd replace him with someone who is center-right. Romney, Weld, Baker, etc. Of course none of them are electable because the GOP base thinks they are too liberal, which is kind of funny and sad at the same time. I remember when Romney and McCain represented what the GOP stood for, and back then I was happy to be a Republican. More recently the GOP has taken this crazy sharp turn to the right and I find it nauseating.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 3rd, '24, 18:53 I'd replace him with someone who is center-right. Romney, Weld, Baker, etc.
If Romney Weld Baker is center right, who is the left-of-center right?
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 3rd, '24, 18:53 I'd replace him with someone who is center-right. Romney, Weld, Baker, etc. Of course none of them are electable because the GOP base thinks they are too liberal, which is kind of funny and sad at the same time. I remember when Romney and McCain represented what the GOP stood for, and back then I was happy to be a Republican. More recently the GOP has taken this crazy sharp turn to the right and I find it nauseating.
I agree with you on those names to replace Trump - but I think Fancy was asking who you would replace Joe with? For me that might be someone like Roy Cooper, Seth Moulton or Andy Beshear.

Reality is though, apart from being a pretty uninspiring speaker, it is hard to disagree with much of what Joe Biden stands for. Chips Act, Infrastructure, Veterans bill are all good accomplishments. He will prove to be on the right side of history on social issues such as women's reproductive care etc.

Ironically now, despite all of the blather from Republicans on immigration and the border, Biden is actually the one who supports things like more funding for border barriers and detention facilities, hiring more border, customs and immigration agents and judges, as well as supporting the end of "catch and release" and increasing the standards to claim asylum. Republicans voted against all this. They don't want a solution to the border. Biden does.

In this election, the choice could not be clearer. Biden is the right man for the job.
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

Mister Moose wrote: Mar 3rd, '24, 20:18
easyrider16 wrote: Mar 3rd, '24, 18:53 I'd replace him with someone who is center-right. Romney, Weld, Baker, etc.
If Romney Weld Baker is center right, who is the left-of-center right?
Joe Manchin or LIsa Murkowski maybe?
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

The vast majority of the Democratic Party including Biden are Center Left. Republicans and Conservative media have done a fantastic job convincing a large swath of America that the Democrats are radical left. That's total BS. Hell Biden would be Center Right in Western Europe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Oh I thought he was asking who I'd want as President. If you're asking who I'd want as the democratic nominee, I'd go with someone center left, like Manchin or Murkowski.

I agree Biden is fairly moderate, but he's too old and frankly I've never liked him as a leader. Also, I think he is a little too willing to indulge the more left leaning people in his party with his appointments. For example, what his people at the SEC and DOJ are doing with ESG and business regulation is not good in my opinion (Amazon lawsuit, new BS disclosure requirements, etc).

I think most American's political views are moderate, ranging from center left to center right. Unfortunately the weird political party system we have seems to favor the extremes of each party more than the moderates, at least lately.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

While I know this is a discussion on the USA, what party would Biden be in in the UK? I think he'd more likely be part of their Conservative party than their Labour Party.

The majority of (and primary governing) Democrats aren't making a hard push for common left principles like the rest of the world. Some common global examples being

Universal Healthcare
Universal Basic Income
Nationalization of Industry
Heavy taxation on the wealthy

You hear some talk about these concepts, but it's generally coming from a vocal minority on the campaign trail and gets no traction in the form of bills when they assume office. And I'd argue when you hear it from many candidates on the campaign trail, it's only to appeal to far left voters. It's not genuine. Biden probably has said, "Make the wealthy and corporations pay their fair share", but what has he proposed to actually do that?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I tend to agree. Generally in the past, candidates played to the base for the primaries then moved toward the center for the general. I always chuckle a little when the right wing paints Obama's administration as radical when he really was quite moderate. If you look for example at health care, Obamacare was originally a Republican/conservative idea based on what Romney did in Massachusetts.

That said, around the periphery you see some of the more radical elements coming out, like how the EPA or SEC regulates business. During Trump, it was laissez faire for business, but under Biden there's some goofy things going on. I really wish that in these areas we would get something like the Baker administration, which really was all about pragmatism and just doing a good job rather than pushing a particular agenda.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

I would 100% vote for Baker for President. He's too honest and well spoken for the current Republican party base.

Hell, even Chris Christie is too well spoken for the Republican base. I was going to suggest the party needs a guy like Baker that speaks more plainly and aggressively. Christie is just that, but nope.

It's weird, intelligence is almost an untrustworthy quality to Republican voters. They seem to prefer Carnival Barker types who spend most of their time throwing petty insults at the libs. Ronald Reagan or George Bush wouldn't win the nomination against Trump in 2024. The base would revolt against them and call them "deep state."
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote: Mar 4th, '24, 10:07

It's weird, intelligence is almost an untrustworthy quality to Republican voters. They seem to prefer Carnival Barker types who spend most of their time throwing petty insults at the libs. Ronald Reagan or George Bush wouldn't win the nomination against Trump in 2024. The base would revolt against them and call them "deep state."
It’s actually pretty easy to understand in the context of populism, which always seems to include an anti-elite, anti-establishment and anti-intellectual strains. That is pretty much where the GOP is today.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote: Mar 4th, '24, 11:01
deadheadskier wrote: Mar 4th, '24, 10:07

It’s actually pretty easy to understand in the context of populism, which always seems to include an anti-elite, anti-establishment and anti-intellectual strains. That is pretty much where the GOP is today.
You mean, like Florida?

Florida's response to measles outbreak troubles public health experts
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... th-experts
Several public health researchers say Florida's current response to the outbreak goes against well-established public health guidance. Florida's surgeon general, Dr. Joseph Ladapo, has so far not urged parents of unvaccinated children at the school with the outbreak to get their children vaccinated, or to quarantine them. In a Feb. 20 letter, Ladapo left it up to parents to decide whether to send their kids to school.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

So no one is willing to help Donny post bond for his appeal.

Why doesn't he just take out a home equity loan on Mar a Lago? He told us the property is worth $1.8B
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

deadheadskier wrote: Mar 18th, '24, 15:17Why doesn't he just take out a home equity loan on Mar a Lago? He told us the property is worth $1.8B
My guess is most his real estate is already pretty leveraged so it's not an option.
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

i'm starting a go fund me if anyone want's to help out an ex potus who's down on his luck
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I love the irony of Trump, in the case involving the value of his real estate holdings, and claiming that his properties are worth MORE than the NY AG proved, now can’t get bond based on the value of his real estate.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe