Stop saying "Howdy Beast Fans" in the report.

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Re: Stop saying "Howdy Beast Fans" in the report.

Post by rogman »

IMG_5427.jpeg
IMG_5427.jpeg (127.67 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
This is sufficient proof that management doesn’t read the snow report either. Gonna be a helluva resume builder for the kid, “Wrote the daily report for Killington”. Recruiter: “Excellent! Can you show us some examples of your work?”. Kid: (Oh sh*t) “Um, no”. However, if trolling is the new key to advancement, I’m executive material.

But truly there is a lot to unravel here. Every sentence is a gem, intended or otherwise. “Guns blazing full steam” is a priceless mixed metaphor. I only wish “guns staged” were replaced with “guns holstered” along with a Nybergian (tm) reference to keeping their powder dry. A Craigslist level missed opportunity moment. Are Kzoners the only ones left reading the reports? There’s so much verbiage in there, plenty of room for a soap opera paragraph. (“In other news, Kay took some turns with Rob, and what was supposed to be two runs kept them busy until last chair…” No doubt this story line could keep us coming back for updates until June.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Is this the same thread where I can complain about the alignment of the Snowdon 6 RFID gates ?
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Post by GlacierBoy »

It's a bad move by Killington to continue have a useless and blathering Snow Report. The resort essentially loses 'clicks' and 'eyevballs' and drive less traffic to their Web site by having an ineffective and uninformative Snow Report. The marketing buzz from the World Cup loses impact with a stupid and uninformative daily report.

They have not evolved with top resort destination ski areas around North America which have quick and excellent apps and Web sites for Snow Reports. Give us the facts. Experienced Skiers and boarders are not stupid.

Typical and excellent use of graphics - just the facts;

https://www.sugarbush.com/mountain/conditions

https://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/snowReport/

https://www.snowbird.com/mountain-report/

https://www.alta.com/weather

https://www.revelstokemountainresort.co ... ow-report/

https://www.jacksonhole.com/mountain-report

Vail Empire sucks but home office snow report is good:
https://www.vail.com/the-mountain/mount ... eport.aspx

Too Much Text - useless - TL/;dr - too long, didn't read. who cares....

https://www.stowe.com/the-mountain/moun ... eport.aspx

https://www.killington.com/the-mountain ... ns-weather
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

So what about Kay and Rob? So many questions left unanswered. Intern guy is just leaving us hanging.
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

Kay and Rob spent the night at Coops...
allskiing1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by allskiing1 »

Stormchaser wrote:Anyone remember calling the hotline to get up to date trail and conditions information? it used to sound like that.
802-422-3261

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

While we're at it, they are still showing Grizzly Open and Groomed ! Where the F is it"
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

ok they've moved onto what's good beast fans. whatever ...

but in reading tonite's report they mention smooth cruising on launch pad. huh?!? what cruising? it's a narrow, flat, often icy connector that most of us don't turn on. unless you're absolutely clueless (and yeah there are many who are), no one would ever think of launch pad as a trail w "smooth cruising." bunny and easy street yes. ridiculous ...

brings back a memory of our old friend steve wright mentioning some great cruising on goat path.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 6th, '24, 09:58 While we're at it, they are still showing Grizzly Open and Groomed ! Where the F is it"
Here's the problem . .

ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Just to be clear . . . The snow report and the App both suck
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I’m actually going to answer Hafski’s “question”. When Killington switched their trail map from the James Neiheus painting approach to a vector driven method, it made map updates far easier to accommodate and scaling up/down in size easier as well. There are subtle changes to the map every year. The App uses a version of the vector rendering that’s a few years old. It is harder to update because of the technology that allows it show the locations of yourself and others on the map is a bit tricky to implement since it is not a traditionally geo-referenced rendering like a satellite map. Thus, it is a non trivial task to translate from a GPS position input to pixel coordinates on the map. There is no linear correlation between lat/lon and pixel coordinates. There is some sort of internal lookup that has to be done to facilitate that. Thus, updating the map is non-trivial, since this lookup table must be remade as well. Now, a simple trail rename should be easily accommodated, but an actual shift in trail position on the map rendering opens a can of worms that requires table recalibration. So, maybe just let it go.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

ski wrote: Jan 8th, '24, 08:29 Just to be clear . . . The snow report and the App both suck
FWIW - I think the App is great. However, it absolutely has to provide accurate information in real time. So, Sorry Rogman, Killington has got to fix this; you can't have wrong lift/trail information on the App.

Aside from my grumbling about Grizzly [that has been where it is now for many years, just to the left of Lower Skyeburst], I can't believe it when they show a lift running all day [Snowdon Triple, Saturday] that never turned. I rely on this info being accurate and if nothing else am looking for lifts where I don't have to ride in an enclosed bubble/gondi, etc. Unacceptable.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

They've shown snowmaking on the regular lift report on trails that haven't seen in for 2+ weeks.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 8th, '24, 09:34
ski wrote: Jan 8th, '24, 08:29 Just to be clear . . . The snow report and the App both suck
FWIW - I think the App is great. . . . (Or) Unacceptable.
I have fun with the app . the tracking is fun sometimes. Find a friend can be useful. But as a source of real-time info it is a joke. In today's world, accurate real-time info should be a top priority.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

not that this is an excuse, but Vails app is the same piece of sh*t when it comes to information.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs