Expansion

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Re: Expansion

Post by KingsFourMan »

From Killington - Our snowmaking team will be lighting up Lower Great Eastern and Cruise Control and we will have a few isolated guns running across the mountain in strategic areas.

From Stratton - snowmaking is active on a number of trails including but not limited to East Brynes Side, Janeway Junction, Upper and Lower West Meadow, Black Bear, Suntanner and Old Log Road.

The Snowmaking Capital of the World is no more.

Looking forward to Stratton on Friday.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

The snowmaking capital certainly isn't Pico even with double the pumping capacity for this year... I was there this past weekend and the only summit trail they hit was 49er. Can't remember the last time Upper KA, S71 and Pike weren't covered. I don't get it...
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Captain Hafski wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 22:57
skiadikt wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 18:16
newpylong1 wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 17:30 Also they haven't skipped Pipe Dream once since the pipe was replaced in 2018.
yup pipedream as well, but that had laid fallow for many years. i consider upper WF a primary route at bear. interestingly since my post, they've updated the report to mention they're firing up the guns tomorrow morning on lower GE and cruise w some spots. suspect that's we'll see from here on out. their snowmaking budget is in the rear view mirror.
Gonna be tough 4 them prioritizing Upper WF; if they read KZone, it's gotten some high marks recently !
high marks aside (think we're both quilty), the problem is w/o snowmaking, it melts out early. plus they can groom it and it becomes another viable route off the bear chair. right now it's the domain of those whose enjoy GETS.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

"GETS"?
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Snow making at the peak. GN wraparound and elsewhere it appears.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 14th, '24, 08:59 The snowmaking capital certainly isn't Pico even with double the pumping capacity for this year... I was there this past weekend and the only summit trail they hit was 49er. Can't remember the last time Upper KA, S71 and Pike weren't covered. I don't get it...
They made snow on upper KA this season as well as, like you stated, 49er.
Sunset 71 (and upper GK) haven't seen snowmaking in many seasons.
Upper pike hasn't seen any snowmaking yet, BUT with 8 weekends left, how much snow are they going to make?
I'd think they'd want to get the park on prospector going before upper pike?
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

mdskiguy wrote: Feb 14th, '24, 14:21 "GETS"?
Good Eastern Technical Skiing !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

i heard 6 trails tonite though the main targets are GE, GN and cruise. between today's snow, the additional forecasted for thursday nite and the resurfacing, conditions should be much improved for pres weekend. maybe they finally get a win on a holiday.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Guns were on at the bridge by East Mtn Road last night at dusk.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Our snowmaking team has guns firing on Upper Great Northern, Lower Great Eastern and Cruise Control. We will have a few isolated guns running in strategic zones and our plan is to move back to the Superstar area in the coming days.

Well there it is I guess, no Pipe Dream or Upper WF. Gotta feed the SS pig more.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Not saying they shouldn't build the glacier, but shouldn't that be done in March?
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

They usually have a couple goes at it when the wet bulb is really good from now until mid March. This would be the first year in my memory ever that Upper Wildfire is skipped and the first time Pipe Dream has been skipped since the snowmaking was replaced in 2018.

We did get Header earlier than usual, or worse, when it has been skipped altogether.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 15th, '24, 08:13 Our snowmaking team has guns firing on Upper Great Northern, Lower Great Eastern and Cruise Control. We will have a few isolated guns running in strategic zones and our plan is to move back to the Superstar area in the coming days.

Well there it is I guess, no Pipe Dream or Upper WF. Gotta feed the SS pig more.
President weekend typically marks the end of the snowmaking season except at the Superstar area. There will be some snowmaking at other parts of the mountain but it's typically pretty limited from here on out. Doubt we'll see any more expansion anywhere.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Yeah, that's the whole point of me posting it. That's likely all she wrote except for SS/SL and spot guns. There is also the off chance that they crop dust OL for a night prior to BMMC if it's still porcelain, this happens as needed.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Feb 15th, '24, 09:24, edited 3 times in total.
getskied
Beginner On Rentals

Post by getskied »

Rather unfortunate that they invested the time and money into repairing the infrastructure on the Fiddle and won’t end up using it this winter?