Expansion

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Expansion

Post by rogman »

Looks like a 24 hour period of snowmaking starting later this evening. They moved the Phazor's that were lining Rime over to Middle GN Sunday night, so my guess is they aren't planning a resurface; seems like what they've got has held up really well. Since before opening, they've had guns set up down GN from the top but 24 hours doesn't seem like enough to get either option done, but IDK. My guess is GN from the top tonight, and defer on middle GN. They'll have a bit longer at the higher elevations. At least tonight has much colder temps than they had to get open.

Another warm spell follows for the remainder of the week, then Saturday (11th) through Monday there's a 60+ hour window that should allow them to BURY Superstar, and dare I say it, go for the bottom? No doubt they want to have the Bubble for the World Cup, and this is their best opportunity. Seems like a lot, but at least the forecast has been trending colder than the long range predictions. Tuesday (14th) through Saturday (18th) temps will be in the mid forties, so really is coming down to the wire. Looks good for World Cup right now, but Thanksgiving is the 23rd. K needs that T2B. Mother Nature is such a tease.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Expansion

Post by daytripper »

Has skyelark been touched yet? Don't they need that for WC training?
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

daytripper wrote: Nov 7th, '23, 18:12 Has skyelark been touched yet? Don't they need that for WC training?
I don’t think so. It is used for training but I don’t know what’s required of it to pass snow control, though.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

My ASSumption based on the window(s) I see is Upper GN down into NR, Middle GN and Lower Ridge by the end of the weekend but not before.

After that, anyone's guess on the push down through Snowdon.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Where does UEF fit into this? They need an extra route to North Ridge, given recent concerns about trail congestion. I guess they could also get that from Lower Ridge Run, which puts them closer to top to bottom. If they play their cards right, they could potentially get top to bottom by the 15th or so. If they don't, then they won't get another chance for at least a week.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

i see a window extending into thursday morning. then firing up again friday overnight and running for a couple days. they may soldier on and make snow straight through on the supe HW in extremely marginal conditions. depends on how desperate they are.

according to the report they are planning to resurface: Thanks to cold temperatures returning our snowmaking team will be firing up the guns again tonight to resurface open terrain and continue to prep Superstar for the World Cup.

they could fire up portions of GN during this 1st window but not enough to open this week. gonna go with sunday for the ski-down to the NR. also have a feeling they could defer on UEF and do the GN>lower ridge run route first. gets them closer to ttb.

as for ttb, if they don't get it done by the 15th as loco suggests, we may not get it until after t-giving as a significant warm-up is forecasted starting next wed/thurs.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Resurfacing now would be a mistake, since what they have open is well covered, and they need to open more terrain. They also moved the Phazer guns away from Rime, so they'd need to use the less efficient K3000s. I hope the report is wrong.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

snoloco wrote: Nov 7th, '23, 21:51 Resurfacing now would be a mistake, since what they have open is well covered, and they need to open more terrain. They also moved the Phazer guns away from Rime, so they'd need to use the less efficient K3000s. I hope the report is wrong.
just putting their report out there. would say after today's warm wet weather and tonight's hard freeze. maybe they'd want to freshen the surface up a bit.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

skiadikt wrote: Nov 7th, '23, 22:43
snoloco wrote: Nov 7th, '23, 21:51 Resurfacing now would be a mistake, since what they have open is well covered, and they need to open more terrain. They also moved the Phazer guns away from Rime, so they'd need to use the less efficient K3000s. I hope the report is wrong.
just putting their report out there. would say after today's warm wet weather and tonight's hard freeze. maybe they'd want to freshen the surface up a bit.
North Ridge webcam shows snowmaking on the open trails.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

I think at this point we know the report cannot always be trusted.

Have faith. Guns are on Upper East Fall, Rime, Reason, Upper and Middle GN

That's resurfacing and expansion to 3 new trails. Like I said, using the Low E allows for more water utilization and they have all their compressors now.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Nov 8th, '23, 07:02, edited 2 times in total.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Must be Ratniks. That and a couple of K3000's are what they left on Rime. Given the limited opportunities for expansion they'd be foolish to squander it. Clearly making snow on GN from the top in the mountain view camera. K is very conservative until they get sustained cold, and that is not here yet.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

newpylong1 wrote: Nov 8th, '23, 06:43 Have faith. Guns are on Upper East Fall, Rime, Reason, Upper and Middle GN

That's resurfacing and expansion to 3 new trails. Like I said, using the Low E allows for more water utilization and they have all their compressors now.
Resurfacing, expanding, and hitting Superstar top to bottom. I like what I see.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I wouldn't call what I see this morning "conservative" for what may be a short window. if it was a "no world cup scenario" whatever is being dedicated to SS could also probably cover Skye>Bitter and SS. Plus everything up top. Seems like a pretty good ASSult :lol:
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

They'll probably add Lower Ridge in the mix when they do Middle GN too. That trail doesn't have its own pipes, they drag from Middle GN (the pipes are on the abandoned section) and the bottom of Rime.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Nov 8th, '23, 09:22, edited 2 times in total.
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

rogman wrote: Nov 8th, '23, 07:00 Must be Ratniks. That and a couple of K3000's are what they left on Rime. Given the limited opportunities for expansion they'd be foolish to squander it. Clearly making snow on GN from the top in the mountain view camera. K is very conservative until they get sustained cold, and that is not here yet.
Not sure it's as much as them being conservative on expansion plans as it is a shift away from what used to be their expansion plan which was to put a relatively thin coat of snow down on a trail and then quickly move on to another trail and put a thin coat down there, and then roll the dice and hope that Mother Nature won't melt them out before she brings some natural snow.

It appears on the surface atleast, that they are now using a strategy where they put down a much more substantial base, capable of surviving most warm weather events, until the more predictable cold arives and sticks around which now seems to be more of a late November/early December thing than was say 20 years or so ago was more of a early to mid November thing. Just my 2 cents
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!