Is it time to move on from hosting the World Cup?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Is it time to move on from World Cup?

Yes
34%
No
60%
It should be every other year.
6%

Total votes: 50

Low Rider
Black Carver

Is it time to move on from hosting the World Cup?

Post by Low Rider »

Obviously this decision is out of our control, but I'd be interested in seeing others opinions.

I have enjoyed attending the World Cup and I do think it is cool that it has been a part of our "brand" for the past several years. I'll go to the bib draw on Friday night and I'll be there Saturday with my parking pass and grandstand tickets.

At the same time, it has become very clear that early season rollout is affected by hosting the event. This is frustrating to see. I suspect most other resorts will have a more interesting offering for early season turns for the next few weekends.

So - has the event run its course? It is time to move on from it? Should they keep hosting it? Or set up some sort of "on and off" rotation?
boston_e
Postaholic

Re: Is it time to move on from hosting the World Cup?

Post by boston_e »

I enjoy it, but some rotation (every other year) or 2 on / 2 off would seem about right at this point.

No idea if FIS would go for that... they probably like consistency. Maybe we could rotate with Tremblant if theirs is successful.
Don't Killington Pico
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Best event every year.

Other than the BMMC.

I say keep it going!
Where is Happy Hour ?
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I think they should continue to host it, but make a major investment in snowmaking capacity that should have happened when they first started hosting it. Not resurfacing terrain, not opening all the trails on North Ridge, and not being top to bottom by the weekend before Thanksgiving, while other ski areas are open, are not really acceptable in my book.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Make the investment or move on if I was asked.

As others noted, not likely until the Village.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Nov 15th, '23, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Doing it every other year sounds highly unlikely. Killington only got this event because somebody else gave it up. It is a very difficult slot to fill. K doesn't get to just tell FIS, "Go find someplace else to do it on the years we don't want to". If K gives it up, and somebody else takes it, it will be theirs to give up after that.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

The 40 or so regular posters on this message board don't compare to the 40,000 people who show up to the event over 2 days.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Nov 15th, '23, 12:19 The 40 or so regular posters on this message board don't compare to the 40,000 people who show up to the event over 2 days.
While not 40,000, there were way more than 40 folks out skiing over this past weekend that would have appreciated an open route down. I know my ski bases would approve...
ImageImageImageImage
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Nov 15th, '23, 12:19 The 40 or so regular posters on this message board don't compare to the 40,000 people who show up to the event over 2 days.
To be fair, I'm guessing the overall vast majority of those people aren't even Killington customers. Maybe I'm wrong though.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

How many of those 40000 do you think even ski Killington or spend a dime there after the WC? Maybe 25%?
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

I've always enjoyed the event. I'd say keep it, but only if snowmaking capacity is improved.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

do i like falling behind in skiable terrain for a couple weeks, of course not. but enjoy the event. overall think it brings a lot in a number of areas to the resort and think they should keep doing it.

i'm always for more and better snowmaking. if the system is antiquated and there's not enough capacity, make it happen but don't see them doing a "snowmaking upgrade" just for the event. guessing they think from season open to close, that they're doing fine. pretty sure all-in, they make more snow than anybody.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Bumper

Post by 180 »

World Cup is a winner. Not like any other ski area event we get to see regularly. Way different then the WC Mogul events I have been to. Maybe some of you will come to Waterville and support them for the WC Moguls in January.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Keep hosting until Mikaela retires from competition.
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

With the current change in the climate, some of the early races in Europe were pushed back a couple weeks. Maybe Killington can do the same.
Ideally, I would like them just to have the slalom for men and women on Outer Limits in the middle of the ski season. If you set up stands you can see the whole course. Midweek race.