Hannah Soar - Hometown Hero

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bumper

Re: 2023 Freestyle Moguls WC

Post by 180 »

They make lots of snow on Bobby's and they has US Nationals on it last year and this coming year.
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Admin, can you change the name of the thread to Hannah Soar Thread
spanky
Site Admin

Re: Hannah Soar - Hometown Hero

Post by spanky »

180 wrote:Admin, can you change the name of the thread to Hannah Soar Thread
Really? I think your current subject is better. Putting “Thread” in the subject is kind of redundant, no?
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

I can recall go to the womens world cup at Waterville Valley years ago. There might of been 300 people watching at the finish line. Tamara Makinney raced.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Awesome. Watched it last night on Ski and Snowboard Live. Great start to the season for Hannah and the rest of the US team.

Congrats to the entire Soar family !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

newpylong1 wrote: Dec 2nd, '23, 21:03 Yes I don't think this would have anywhere near the impact as the alpine WC does. OL is tailor made for an event like that, it would be epic. Especially if the Fiddle gets filled in as planned to offer more terrain.

Waterville somehow got the freestyle mogul World Cup back and that venue (Bobby's Run) is nowhere near as good as the OL setup.
My understanding is you cannot have two world cup level events in two different disciplines in the same yr.
Killington has the Thanksgiving women's GS and SL and will as they just agreed to hosting this event for the next three yrs. Before that there was talk to hosting a WC event here and it was to be on Highline. You'd have to think all major events will be on the basin side with the new lodge and future village.
Thus, Killington was passed for Waterville Valley who will have it in Jan 2024 and Jan 2025.

Friday Jan 25 is men's and woman's singles finals. I don't know if qualifiers are the Thursday before or on Friday the 25th

Saturday Jan 26 is duals.

We went for US Nationals last year. It was a good time. I'd have to guess with this being a world cup event there will more of everything. I'm guessing the bear mountain crowd will be there.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
ozzy

Post by ozzy »

Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 3rd, '23, 11:31 Awesome. Watched it last night on Ski and Snowboard Live. Great start to the season for Hannah and the rest of the US team.

Your feed drop continuously too?
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
ozzy

Post by ozzy »

snoloco wrote: Dec 2nd, '23, 18:25 I'd gladly trade this for the other World Cup. If they used OL, then it would be like the BMMC on a professional level, and doesn't require a massive snowmaking commitment that cripples the trail rollout for the first 6 weeks of the season.
Careful what you wish for I guess. Most times those competition courses/trails are closed to the public except for the last cple weeks of the season after training is complete.
I cant saw ive ever seen runs like champion in deer valley and lower wilderness at Whiteface open to the public. I'd have to imagine lower Bobby's run at waterville won't be open to the public until much after the competition.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

snoloco wrote: Dec 2nd, '23, 18:25 I'd gladly trade this for the other World Cup. If they used OL, then it would be like the BMMC on a professional level, and doesn't require a massive snowmaking commitment that cripples the trail rollout for the first 6 weeks of the season.
sounds like they've committed to another 3 yrs. john cummings loves the 2 1/2 hrs of network coverage his resort gets every thanksgiving weekend. mikaela is the goat and an international superstar who brings lots of eyes to whatever she does. her sphere of interest extends outside the world of skiing including appearances on the tonight and today shows and as long as she keeps going, think we'll keep doing it. and while i'm a big hannah fan and appreciate what those kids do, there no way the WC mogul competition comes close to the women's WC alpine in terms of exposure.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
chuckstah
Beginner On Rentals

Post by chuckstah »

ozzy wrote: Dec 4th, '23, 17:40
Careful what you wish for I guess. Most times those competition courses/trails are closed to the public except for the last cple weeks of the season after training is complete.
I cant saw ive ever seen runs like champion in deer valley and lower wilderness at Whiteface open to the public. I'd have to imagine lower Bobby's run at waterville won't be open to the public until much after the competition.
This was last year's course, or what was let of it, on Bobby's mid April last season, closing weekend. I think it opened shortly after the event, as it was late in the season.
Screenshot_20231204-191329.png
Screenshot_20231204-191329.png (425.32 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Bumper

Post by 180 »

skiadikt wrote: Dec 4th, '23, 19:05
sounds like they've committed to another 3 yrs. john cummings loves the 2 1/2 hrs of network coverage his resort gets every thanksgiving weekend. mikaela is the goat and an international superstar who brings lots of eyes to whatever she does. her sphere of interest extends outside the world of skiing including appearances on the tonight and today shows and as long as she keeps going, think we'll keep doing it. and while i'm a big hannah fan and appreciate what those kids do, there no way the WC mogul competition comes close to the women's WC alpine in terms of exposure.
And John Cummings budget pays for it all. None of it comes out of Killington budget.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

If it all comes out of John Cummings budget, and none comes out of Killington's budget, then why does the rest of the mountain suffer when it comes to snowmaking and open terrain?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

MrsG wrote: Dec 4th, '23, 20:34 If it all comes out of John Cummings budget, and none comes out of Killington's budget, then why does the rest of the mountain suffer when it comes to snowmaking and open terrain?
:like
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

ozzy wrote: Dec 4th, '23, 17:24
Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 3rd, '23, 11:31 Awesome. Watched it last night on Ski and Snowboard Live. Great start to the season for Hannah and the rest of the US team.

Your feed drop continuously too?
No - "Feed" is good and after switching to my laptop w/ an HDMI port, very good picture on our TV.

However, we almost always watch a replay, vice the live stream. Only downside to this is NOT learning the results beforehand !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Mikaela may be in a league of her own, but on the hometown scale nobody beats Hannah.

The last time I saw Hannah was on Memorial Day. It seemed like every time I turned my head, she was standing next to me on Superstar. Walking to my car at the end of the day, I found myself strolling along with her, and she complimented my Mets tie dye shirt.

I doubt I will ever end a season on a more perfect note.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.