Massachusetts Man Fears No One Considers Him a Local, Discovers No One Actually Cares

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Massachusetts Man Fears No One Considers Him a Local, Discovers No One Actually Cares

Post by Pedro »

Northampton, MA - In a bizarre twist of self-reflection and communal indifference, a Massachusetts man's fear that he might not be considered a 'local' by his fellow townspeople turned out to be unfounded, simply because nobody else in the community actually cares.

Michael Johnson, a 42-year-old resident of Northampton, has spent the last several months agonizing over his status in the small town. "I've lived here for over a decade, but I always get this feeling that people don't see me as a true local," Johnson confessed while staring forlornly out his window. His anxiety reached a peak last week when he overheard a conversation at the local coffee shop, misinterpreting a general chat about newcomers as a personal slight.

Determined to get to the bottom of this, Johnson embarked on a one-man mission to confirm his fears, interviewing various community members. The results, however, were not what he expected.

Sue Ellen, a barista at the aforementioned coffee shop, when asked about Johnson's local status, shrugged and said, "Who? Oh, the guy who always orders a latte? Yeah, I guess he's local. I don't really think about it."
local.png
local.png (775.96 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Even more telling was the response from the local librarian, Mr. Thompson, who looked puzzled and remarked, "Local or not? Is that something people worry about? I'm just here to help folks find books."

The pinnacle of indifference came from Mayor Lisa Harding, who, when questioned about Johnson's local status, chuckled and said, "We have bigger fish to fry in Northampton than labeling who's a local and who's not. Everyone's welcome here."

The series of nonchalant reactions has left Johnson in a state of anticlimactic realization. "I guess I was the only one losing sleep over this," he admitted, slightly embarrassed but relieved. "Turns out, people have more important things to think about than whether I'm a local or not."

In a town where the biggest concerns are typically the annual pumpkin festival and the state of the local parks, Johnson's existential crisis about belonging has, ironically, cemented his place in the community - as the guy who worried needlessly about being considered a local.
Skivt2
Bumper

Re: Massachusetts Man Fears No One Considers Him a Local, Discovers No One Actually Cares

Post by Skivt2 »

Except that people do care which is the nutty thing. Apparently it’s license plate based. :yawn
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Massachusetts Man Fears No One Considers Him a Local, Discovers No One Actually Cares

Post by wtf021 »

I had no idea folks on this site were suffering from non local insecurity. Maybe we can start a support group for them.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

According to the real Vt locals, if you were not born here, you are not a local.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

RustyK wrote: Dec 12th, '23, 10:07 According to the real Vt locals, if you were not born here, you are not a local.
“Just because a cat has her kittens in the oven don’t make them biscuits” – Vermont
https://www.mapquest.com/travel/the-12- ... n-america/

Pretty sure this originated from Maine, and recounted by 'Bert & I' (Maine comedians) years and years ago. It would seem that Vermonter's claimed a local's joke that isn't... you know... local.
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

You can spot a local by their teeth. Kind of like the British.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

I'm a Jaded Killington Local just like the sticker on my helmet says.
My Helmet
My Helmet
IMG_3712.jpg (155.5 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.