Some insite, free of charge

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

DrFreud
Beginner On Rentals

Some insite, free of charge

Post by DrFreud »

Nacissistic Personality Disorder. The personality disorders (which also include the antisocial personality, the borderline, the histrionic and others) are not delusional. Rather, they are disorders in personality or character. If we could talk in the language of ethics rather than of medicine, we might say that personality disorders comprise patterns of knowing, evil conduct.

At a risk of grossly oversimplifying: Freud, who defined the disorder, concluded that proper development of a normal human followed a certain path. In the womb, the infant is unconscious of any world beyond itself; it sees itself as meeting all its own needs, as omnipotent. Birth changes this -- dammit, the world is cold, diapers chafe, why am I hungry?

At first, the infant still sees itself as the universe. The others -- its parents -- are simply extensions of itself, not separate human beings, just part of the child-universe which fulfils the child's desire. Note this is not really "selfishness:" the child doesn't yet absorb that there is a "self" separate from other people. Since the child is the universe, the child's perceptions are the only reality. And of course all gratifications of its desires must be immediate. There is no thought of others' needs, since there are no "others."

In terms of personality development, the narcissist stops right here. He (it is predominantly a male trait) remains the universe, others not quite human, existing as inferior beings to fulfil his desires.

The normal infant, in contrast, continues on. Parents don't always immediately fulfil his or her drives. They don't know that the diaper is wet, they somehow don't know that he has a bellyache, it's not that he's hungry. The child eventually realizes that his parents (and by extention, other people) are other beings, even equal human beings, and not simply servants of his or her needs. There is a world out there, full of people who have their own minds and outlooks and desires, and the person had better adjust to that.

That understanding requires differentiating between how one feels about something (idic impulse) and what something is in either social or other-person perspective. And that's the developmental step the narcissist never takes, for whatever (there are some who say Freud was off) reason.

Thus the objective/social measures of truth and the external world can never enter the narcissist's personality. What an event or object or proposition is or means, first and last, is how it makes the narcissist feel. The adult narcissist is at once in the world of adults and also locked out of it. He has learned the shell of adult language, representations, behavior, and may even work as an adult in the social world. But he can never be truly in the adult world because he cannot truly experience and understand that world or other persons. He can only use the world for its personal gratifications, and can only use people as utensils of his will, valuing them only as they serve or fail to serve his needs.

Now, there's dispute over Freud's theory (although it's replicated in developmental theory generally). But there's no dispute as to the effects of narcissism. Here is (one) good definition of the narcissistic disorder, from the above link:

"A pattern of traits and behaviors which signify infatuation and obsession with one's self to the exclusion of all others and the egotistic and ruthless pursuit of one's gratification, dominance and ambition. . . . An all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behaviour), need for admiration or adulation and lack of empathy, usually beginning by early adulthood and present in various contexts. Five (or more) of the following criteria must be met:"

A pattern of traits and behaviors which signify infatuation and obsession with one's self to the exclusion of all others and the egotistic and ruthless pursuit of one's gratification, dominance and ambition.

Most narcissists (75%) are men.

NPD is one of a "family" of personality disorders (formerly known as "Cluster B").

Other members: Borderline PD, Antisocial PD and Histrionic PD.

NPD is often diagnosed with other mental health disorders ("co-morbidity") - or with substance abuse, or impulsive and reckless behaviors ("dual diagnosis").

NPD is new (1980) mental health category in the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual (DSM).

There is only scant research regarding narcissism. But what there is has not demonstrated any ethnic, social, cultural, economic, genetic, or professional predilection to NPD.

It is estimated that 0.7-1% of the general population suffer from NPD.

Pathological narcissism was first described in detail by Freud. Other major contributors are: Klein, Horney, Kohut, Kernberg, Millon, Roningstam, Gunderson, Hare.

The onset of narcissism is in infancy, childhood and early adolescence. It is commonly attributed to childhood abuse and trauma inflicted by parents, authority figures, or even peers.

There is a whole range of narcissistic reactions - from the mild, reactive and transient to the permanent personality disorder.

Narcissists are either "Cerebral" (derive their narcissistic supply from their intelligence or academic achievements) - or "Somatic" (derive their narcissistic supply from their physique, exercise, physical or sexual prowess and "conquests").
It's all your parents fault
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

I think we need to find a better disorder for andy.
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

Seriously. NPD is MINE all MINE, you hear?
:P
Sprite
I like wine.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

lol....such an eloquently written piece Dr....I wish I had your insite...as well as your insight...now that's a dangerous combination!
shortski
:dis
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

I haven't heard such insight since PEABODY.
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

I'm going to start commenting on my own threads as well :roll:
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

Vinny Vincenzo wrote:Image

Oh Vin, if that top one is not you, I apologize, but it sure does have your sig all over it. :lol: Classic
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

andyzee wrote:

Oh Vin, if that top one is not you, I apologize, but it sure does have your sig all over it. :lol: Classic

No that thread is not one that belongs to myself.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

andyzee wrote:

Sig or Cig...lol...get it...the pic has a cig in his hand...cig as in cigar...ar ar ar...cig all over it...lol....

oh, man...I am EVER not on...
shortski
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

In that case sorry, I'm giving credit to the wrong person. I thought it was good and hey you're good with that kind of stuff.

Andyzone.com
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

andyzee wrote:In that case sorry, I'm giving credit to the wrong person. I thought it was good and hey you're good with that kind of stuff.
Not into the long winded stuff.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

Vinny Vincenzo wrote:
andyzee wrote:

No that thread is not one that belongs to myself.
lol...yeah, right....I'm sure the admins can clarify that one pretty easy....You have a 4 billion avatar stockpile and use at least one for every alias...
shortski
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

Hey, now I'm not saying it's him, although I did imply, but give the guy credit, he's good.

Andyzone.com
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

A fun personality disorder test

and one to test your level of narcissism

*note: all the narcis will take these :P

Here's a more concise version of "what is a Narcissist:"

An all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behaviour), need for admiration or adulation and lack of empathy, usually beginning by early adulthood and present in various contexts. Five (or more) of the following criteria must be met:

Feels grandiose and self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents to the point of lying, demands to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance (the cerebral narcissist), bodily beauty or sexual performance (the somatic narcissist), or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion
Firmaly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions)
Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation -or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious (narcissistic supply).
Feels entitled. Expects unreasonable or special and favourable priority treatment. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her expectations
Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends
Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with or acknowledge the feelings and needs of others
Constantly envious of others or believes that they feel the same about him or her
Arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes coupled with rage when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted.
I like wine.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

Vinny Vincenzo wrote:
andyzee wrote:In that case sorry, I'm giving credit to the wrong person. I thought it was good and hey you're good with that kind of stuff.
Not into the long winded stuff.
lmao...

like you toiled so long on it...then didn't spell insight right in the title...

Vinny's Sunday:

drink 4 cans of bud

think of another alias

grab a picture from 4 billion avatar inventory

take a swizzle from another bud

highlight

click file, click cut

click file, click paste

wipe brow

hit submit

wait for responses
shortski