Poaching and other questions answered

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Fluffhead
Beginner On Rentals

Re: Poaching and other questions answered

Post by Fluffhead »

The policy posted all over the place, ropes across the trails, agreement all pass holders sign, and common sense clearly aren’t enough.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Fluffhead wrote: Dec 16th, '23, 10:56 The policy posted all over the place, ropes across the trails, agreement all pass holders sign, and common sense clearly aren’t enough.
Ding, Ding, Ding…we have a winner!
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

eagle628 wrote: Dec 15th, '23, 15:33
Stormchaser wrote: Dec 15th, '23, 14:54 Sugarbush 59% open
Stowe 65% open
MRG 50% open
Jay Peak 77% open
Bolton Valley 58% open
Burke Mountain 46% open

...Killington 43% open

K is lagging. Used to blow the doors off...
A better comparison of the snowmaking system will come by seeing what those percentages are after Monday's weather...
Christmas Day will be the real test to see how much is open at an area in the the northeast.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Why should K have to tell people how they may catch you poaching? Closed trails are closed. If you decide to duck a rope then you decided that that trail is worth a 2 week time out. No different than speeding on the highway. If you get caught it's your problem. Saying management has to tell you what they may be doing to catch you is ridiculous. If you do the crime and get caught you do the time. Crying about it is something a spoiled brat would do. If you got a speeding ticket are you going to tell the judge it was unfair because you didn't know how they were going to catch you?
Last edited by daytripper on Dec 16th, '23, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

I agree. It's kinda like getting caught breaking into someone's house because they didn't have a copy of the trespassing laws taped to the door, and then saying "I didn't know".
Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Post by Eddytheyetti »

newpylong1 wrote:I agree. It's kinda like getting caught breaking into someone's house because they didn't have a copy of the trespassing laws taped to the door, and then saying "I didn't know".
But if you want to stop people from breaking into houses you put up neighborhood watch signs and you advertise about the new video surveillance system. Then houses don’t get broken into which is what you are trying to prevent. And in this case the poachers are your customers so you really should want to do everything you can do to keep them from doing something dumb and ruing your relationship with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

Take some 100 day member passes away and then I’ll believe them.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Eddytheyetti wrote: Dec 16th, '23, 15:02 But if you want to stop people from breaking into houses ... ruing your relationship with them.
Wut? I want a relationship with someone breaking into my house?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

If there's 2 feet of pow and my pass is going to get pulled for 2 weeks options are:

A. Poach and don't ski for 2 weeks

B. Don't poach and ski groomers with cut up packed down chunk on a 2 foot day?

Not a tough decision.....it's probably going to be boilerplate and r*in for 2 weeks anyway.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Poaching and other questions answered

Post by Eddytheyetti »

Mister Moose wrote:
Eddytheyetti wrote: Dec 16th, '23, 15:02 But if you want to stop people from breaking into houses ... ruing your relationship with them.
Wut? I want a relationship with someone breaking into my house?
Yes because that’s how you make money. Every business would be a lot easier if it wasn’t for the customers.

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Eddytheyetti wrote: Dec 16th, '23, 15:02
newpylong1 wrote:I agree. It's kinda like getting caught breaking into someone's house because they didn't have a copy of the trespassing laws taped to the door, and then saying "I didn't know".
But if you want to stop people from breaking into houses you put up neighborhood watch signs and you advertise about the new video surveillance system. Then houses don’t get broken into which is what you are trying to prevent. And in this case the poachers are your customers so you really should want to do everything you can do to keep them from doing something dumb and ruing your relationship with them.

Killington is using cameras installed for one purpose (real time situation monitoring) for a secondary purpose (poaching). It’s like using a Ring Doorbell for crime solving. There’s nothing wrong with either nor does the secondary use need to be announced.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

I kind of hate this camera thing. Sure I understand lots of really dumb people need to get nailed for really bad choices and I'm good with that but I feel that ski patrol often leaves trails that should be open closed for longer than they should be to allow experienced strong skiers ski them in a bit so they are more skiable by the terrible skiers who make up most of them to blunder down.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

daytripper wrote: Dec 16th, '23, 13:12 Why should K have to tell people how they may catch you poaching? Closed trails are closed. If you decide to duck a rope then you decided that that trail is worth a 2 week time out. No different than speeding on the highway. If you get caught it's your problem. Saying management has to tell you what they may be doing to catch you is ridiculous. If you do the crime and get caught you do the time. Crying about it is something a spoiled brat would do. If you got a speeding ticket are you going to tell the judge it was unfair because you didn't know how they were going to catch you?
I heard a rumor the town is putting automated speeding cameras on the access road. 1 mph over and you get a ticket. I bet this will have your full support.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

wtf021 wrote: Dec 17th, '23, 17:23
daytripper wrote: Dec 16th, '23, 13:12 Why should K have to tell people how they may catch you poaching? Closed trails are closed. If you decide to duck a rope then you decided that that trail is worth a 2 week time out. No different than speeding on the highway. If you get caught it's your problem. Saying management has to tell you what they may be doing to catch you is ridiculous. If you do the crime and get caught you do the time. Crying about it is something a spoiled brat would do. If you got a speeding ticket are you going to tell the judge it was unfair because you didn't know how they were going to catch you?
I heard a rumor the town is putting automated speeding cameras on the access road. 1 mph over and you get a ticket. I bet this will have your full support.
Speed cameras are all over nyc
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

a friend told me someone he knows got popped at okemo for poaching. they used his gps and next he knew, his pass didn't work. mike says they aren't but apparently it's easy enough to do if they wanted to take it further.

at the K golf course they use something like a gps fence to keep the carts out of closed areas. one day i went where i wasn't supposed to and the cart came to a stop. had to back it out. when i got to the clubhouse i was reprimanded.
spoiled South American skiin' whore