sunday 12/17 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

sunday 12/17 report

Post by skiadikt »

lived to ski another day. culture shock coming here after a relaxing day at pico. skier density beyond my comfort level. throw in a blanket of fog. 8-10:30 shift. sorry gilligan ...

at the bell after capering over, nice groom on highline which skied real well. LEF similar. over to supe to finally ski the needles area. place was empty. did a bunch of cruise laps as folks apparently couldn't find their way there. as the newer kid in town, will call it rotd. skied pretty well. wish i could say the same of supe. someone stole the HW. a mix of ice and chunks. SL was better with lower bitter the best of the trio.

braille skiing required in the NR. reason was good. finished on a trap/chute. snow was good but a full corral at the bubble sent me to the car. maybe see ya wednesday. batten down the hatches ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: sunday 12/17 report

Post by MrsG »

Nice to see you skiadikt! That Caper run was great! When you headed to Highline, I did a Bunny/Mt/Chute! Heavier fog started rolling in, so headed to Sup side - sking nice, vis not so much!
Temp has not really changed much since I went into town - but, a lot more fog!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Out at the open, fog about halfway down SS but it shifted up and down. Overnight cooling resulted in snow making temps, but the surface was Mike Solimano micrometer level groomed. Avoided the nats, except for Full House and Upper Flush. The latter was better. Both LEF and Highline were good, particularly later as they softened up. A side jaunt to upper Conclusion was a pleasant diversion.

SS actually skied pretty well, except the Headwall was pea soup. Lower Cruise was also notable. Upper Skyelark continued its post World Cup hangover. Icy. Lower bittersweet was great however. Overall, a better ski day than expected.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Sunday funday. Started on the 6 pack. Scanner is still broken so manual scans if the one lifty can do it. Full house so much fun with twigs, chute to lower bunny good.
6 pack to Snowdon middle to bottom chute nice. K1 to the peak so windy and foggy. Run through north ridge troops did lower east fall. I should have done it. It was foggy and just a pass to Highline nice top to bottom. K 1 up to peak to needles and cruise ok small line snow good but limited trails. Sky lark good but bitter ok back to 6 pack and a big line. Troops did low east fall twice and I took the long way to chute and lower bunny. Nice snow and too many peeps. There is always another day.
Snow Gods please deliver us SNOW not r*in. r*in is for June so turn you snow facets on.
Merry Christmas everyone! Ski safe
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Much better than I expected after yesterday. Yeah, some mist and fog but made for very good snow conditions. Extra bonus on the "not quite DEAD yet" trails with the dirt/rocks providing excellent visibility/definition. Stuck to the Peak / Snowdon side today only because I found it good there and didn't want to risk heading over to Supe/Needle's in search of something else [sorta like "don't leave fish to find fish"].

ROTD: Ridge Run. 5 or 6 peat. Beat up, but still breathing. Conditions and very good viz made it fun, and very doable, to get through without trashing the skis. Skipped on Power Line.

The "SA" Upper DD bump line as good as it's been in a while. Same for Upper / Lower Rime bumps. UEF definitely above average though no viz at the bottom. LEF firm but very good.

Highline came pretty close to ROTD. Several laps there. Widely spaced bumps musta formed through the day [I thought they didn't groom it until seeing SA post above]. Extra bonus for having the Upper Conclusion side diversion in play.

Upper Bunny right still very good. Surprise of the day was Upper Chute -> Great Bear. Though pissed off that they closed off Lower Great Bear as I wanted to check it out before it says nighty night.

Butt, Killington has got to get their sh*t together with keeping the info on the App updated. They closed the Snowdon Triple at some point in the day yet the App showed it Open until just before 4:00. And, the App was showing Lower Great Bear Open all day; I was pissed when I went there specifically to ski it only to find it roped off CLOSED. This is recurring problem.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 17th, '23, 19:28 Afternoon Report: Much better than I expected after yesterday. Yeah, some mist and fog but made for very good snow conditions. Extra bonus on the "not quite DEAD yet" trails with the dirt/rocks providing excellent visibility/definition. Stuck to the Peak / Snowdon side today only because I found it good there and didn't want to risk heading over to Supe/Needle's in search of something else [sorta like "don't leave fish to find fish"].

ROTD: Ridge Run. 5 or 6 peat. Beat up, but still breathing. Conditions and very good viz made it fun, and very doable, to get through without trashing the skis. Skipped on Power Line.

The "SA" Upper DD bump line as good as it's been in a while. Same for Upper / Lower Rime bumps. UEF definitely above average though no viz at the bottom. LEF firm but very good.

Highline came pretty close to ROTD. Several laps there. Widely spaced bumps musta formed through the day [I thought they didn't groom it until seeing SA post above]. Extra bonus for having the Upper Conclusion side diversion in play.

Upper Bunny right still very good. Surprise of the day was Upper Chute -> Great Bear. Though pissed off that they closed off Lower Great Bear as I wanted to check it out before it says nighty night.

Butt, Killington has got to get their sh*t together with keeping the info on the App updated. They closed the Snowdon Triple at some point in the day yet the App showed it Open until just before 4:00. And, the App was showing Lower Great Bear Open all day; I was pissed when I went there specifically to ski it only to find it roped off CLOSED. This is recurring problem.
dirt/rocks providing excellent visibility/definition. looking forward to the "improved" visibility after monday's weather. :lol: :lol:

sounds like things softened considerably.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Had to try the new epic pico around 11

Spring had sprung on sunset 71 and the birch glades.

Almost sticky in some spots. Some good bumps on KA

Did not try giant killer as I saw the rocks from below.

Nice lunch at the bar. Saw Ozzy and crew for a quick chat.

It is still the friendly mountain.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

The mountain was a lot softer today and skied awesome- The Pedro clan ran into SBF, and we all did a bunch of laps through the park to Highline, which was really fun on the new boards. The kids had a blast racing SBF down the hill!
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Pedro wrote: Dec 17th, '23, 20:48 The mountain was a lot softer today and skied awesome- The Pedro clan ran into SBF, and we all did a bunch of laps through the park to Highline, which was really fun on the new boards. The kids had a blast racing SBF down the hill!
After seeing photos of your crew recently, I'm sure they had a great time racing SBF⛷️🤗⛷️