Access Road Speed Limit

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Re: Access Road Speed Limit

Post by Captain Hafski »

ejrides wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 08:02
Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 18th, '23, 10:52 Doesn't change things much and doesn't really impact me though I always go home via the access Road [when it was 35 mph] as I have a hard time with the 25 mph E. Mtn. Rd speed limit in the downhill direction. So, it costs me maybe one minute longer, if that.

Have seen the K Police with people pulled over at the end of the ski day a few times this past week. So, they are out there.
I believe with the access road change, they were also going to make EMR 30 for the entire length
I never heard that. Only other "simultaneous" change was lowering River Road speed limit to 25 mph [entire length], I believe.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

Live in Plymouth and experience road rage on a daily basis when I try to stay between 50 and 55 on RT 4 in the 50 mph zone. I have been passed and tailgated frequently for driving 60 in the 50. Apparently 60 on rt 4 is considered WAY to slow for many. And we wonder why rt 4 is deadly.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

We drive the speed limit with our truck camper. Have caused several to pass right before bridgewater and get pulled over in the last 10 years. Speaking of which- haven’t seen the sheriff in that stretch in sometime. What gives?
Ski It If You Can!..
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

BoozeTan wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 11:17
Low Rider wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 08:35
ejrides wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 08:09 Much ado about nothing. Real need is to slow down the 40+ drivers. I've noticed much more enforcement recently; that does more to slow things down than any other method. Personally I want the light back at Dean Hill to create some breaks in traffic for cars coming out of other streets and parking lots. Make it a flasher 90% of the time.
Agree, I was just amazed at the road rage i experienced (twice) while going 5ish MPH over the speed limit.
Couple years back when I was coming thru Bridgewater I had this ass hat behind me. Now when the speed limit says 50, I will do 60, never had an issue. Even 40 or 45 I will go 5mph over usually. But when that drops to 35 or less, I set my cruise control for that. Coming up for so many years we all know where the sheriff likes to sit his fat ass to nab speeders. So as Im coming thru bridgewater heading to K this guy is riding my ass. Once we hit the 35 zone I dropped it down and I can see this guy losing it in my rear view mirror. Hes so close that I cant even see his headlights in my mirror. So I drop it down to 5 mph below. Obviously this guy is infuriated, passes me like an asshole making sure to cut in close to my car, and goes flying up the road. As I come around the corner, I can see the flashing lights already. As I drive by I roll down my window and just smirk at the guy....made my night....
Don't you love it when that happens ..ROFLMAO
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

Killington_Lover wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 12:30 We drive the speed limit with our truck camper. Have caused several to pass right before bridgewater and get pulled over in the last 10 years. Speaking of which- haven’t seen the sheriff in that stretch in sometime. What gives?
Im pretty sure the town highers the sheriff to create revenue for the town. Maybe they arent doing it as often or at all. I think I have seen him 2x this season
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Experienced the new access road speed limit 2 weeks ago. Seems unnecessarily slow as Stormchaser said its not intuitive to go that slow on a 3 or 4 lane road. Compounded is that fact that all of the business are set back in more of a "suburban" type setting, instead of right on the sidewalk like a "town center" type feel. I get trying to slow folks down and trying to make turns in and out of the establishments safer.

Is the 2 lanes on the downhill side really necessary the entire length? I get say the bottom third or so to accommodate stacking at the end of the ski days on the weekends.

Its a real shame there wasn't better planning to Killington from a "town" perspective.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Once you pass the Lookout you are on resort property when headed to the mountain. We get the extra lane and the speed limit is driven by skier stoke. This has not changed.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

BoozeTan wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 08:20
ejrides wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 08:09 Much ado about nothing. Real need is to slow down the 40+ drivers. I've noticed much more enforcement recently; that does more to slow things down than any other method. Personally I want the light back at Dean Hill to create some breaks in traffic for cars coming out of other streets and parking lots. Make it a flasher 90% of the time.
This would be great. No idea why they took it out in the first place. Sometimes it takes forever to turn left out of Dean Hill
IIRC (and this was strictly word on the street), the light broke and the cost to replace was just too high. My local town recently had a new light installed and I believe the cost was near 100k
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 11:45
ejrides wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 08:02
Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 18th, '23, 10:52 Doesn't change things much and doesn't really impact me though I always go home via the access Road [when it was 35 mph] as I have a hard time with the 25 mph E. Mtn. Rd speed limit in the downhill direction. So, it costs me maybe one minute longer, if that.

Have seen the K Police with people pulled over at the end of the ski day a few times this past week. So, they are out there.
I believe with the access road change, they were also going to make EMR 30 for the entire length
I never heard that. Only other "simultaneous" change was lowering River Road speed limit to 25 mph [entire length], I believe.
You are correct Cap'n - I mis-remembered. It was River Road that changed, not EMR :(
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

Agree, I was just amazed at the road rage i experienced (twice) while going 5ish MPH over the speed limit.
Couple years back when I was coming thru Bridgewater I had this ass hat behind me. Now when the speed limit says 50, I will do 60, never had an issue. Even 40 or 45 I will go 5mph over usually. But when that drops to 35 or less, I set my cruise control for that. Coming up for so many years we all know where the sheriff likes to sit his fat ass to nab speeders. So as Im coming thru bridgewater heading to K this guy is riding my ass. Once we hit the 35 zone I dropped it down and I can see this guy losing it in my rear view mirror. Hes so close that I cant even see his headlights in my mirror. So I drop it down to 5 mph below. Obviously this guy is infuriated, passes me like an asshole making sure to cut in close to my car, and goes flying up the road. As I come around the corner, I can see the flashing lights already. As I drive by I roll down my window and just smirk at the guy....made my night....
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 15:27 Experienced the new access road speed limit 2 weeks ago. Seems unnecessarily slow as Stormchaser said its not intuitive to go that slow on a 3 or 4 lane road.
Yup, even 35 feels un-naturally slow on that road but there needs to be some way to protect entering traffic (esp. left turning). You don't want to get broad-sided by an SUV barreling down at 40+
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

Killington_Lover wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 12:30 We drive the speed limit with our truck camper. Have caused several to pass right before bridgewater and get pulled over in the last 10 years. Speaking of which- haven’t seen the sheriff in that stretch in sometime. What gives?
Sheriff went to that great moving violation in the sky. Nelson Tift……as worthless as tits on a bull
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Totally agree. They really should consider some other type of traffic calming measures, but its hard considering the grade and winter climate.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

ejrides wrote: Dec 20th, '23, 08:39
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Dec 20th, '23, 10:15 Totally agree. They really should consider some other type of traffic calming measures, but its hard considering the grade and winter climate.
I agree traffic calming devices work much better in the real world than lowering the speed limit does for reducing average traffic speed, because speeders don't respect speed limits. Rumble strips constructed of cobble stones set in concrete 50' long every half mile or so would survive winter demands. Could also position them with crosswalks, pedestrian operated signals, and reduced speed signage at surface changes. They also make speed sensitive traffic lights these days; approach the light speeding, it turns red... Personally, I vote for the severe-tire-damage, articulating-steel-teeth method of slowing traffic down like you see in parking garages that would pop up at 5 miles over the speed limit.
ImageImageImageImage