Tuesday, Dec 19–After the Deluge

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Tuesday, Dec 19–After the Deluge

Post by rogman »

Down but not out. Not sure what is open. Even the trail report and the conditions report are a mess. It does say that Needles will be closed. The trail report indicate that NR4 is closed as is the K1, but I don’t believe it. It is obviously/hopefully a work in progress. Temps at Bear are hovering around 30, so the Tuesday’s big snow making recovery window is probably delayed except at the higher elevations. Final count was 2.5” r*in here, no backside snow, although I just noticed it is lightly snowing here now. Good luck to our friends at Sunday River.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Re: Tuesday, Dec 19–After the Deluge

Post by newpylong1 »

Resurfacing on GN, Rime and prob more up high from the looks of it, seeing braille though.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

unfortunately no snow on the back end.

yeah can't make heads or tails of the trail report. superstar trail apparently closed. only run there is skye/bitter. NR has rime, reason and UEF open & groomed. snowmaking at least on rime. no LEF. what's going on at snowdon is a mystery. only GN listed as open & groomed. no bunny or chute? have to think that's mistake on the report. maybe not? rams & snowshed opened & groomed. and of course the recently opened needles probably needs to be rebuilt.

if this is correct, then they're following their recent protocol following a major thaw/freeze event of doing minimal grooming the day after. there's always tomorrow ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Hitting GN from K1 to bobble and a few stands behind KBL. Cascade runout too. At least 1 gun at the bottom of NR4. Socked in above upper GN. (Riding Gondi). Highline still open but considerably narrower. Other guns audible in NR. Unloading…

Ratniks top (24 deg) to Rime. Rime T2B. Lower Killink around the intersection. Upper part of lower Chute. And looked like some at the top of Snowdon. Skiers left of Snowshed looks okay, it had an heavier coat than right. Bubble loading, upper bunny looked fine idk. Saw skiers on Highline but it was roped off when I went by. Done. I’m out for a few days, will leave it to adkt to fill in on the rest.

And SS pod fine including lower bitter. Loading. Any snowmaking is on upper half or over by Needles.
Last edited by rogman on Dec 19th, '23, 10:03, edited 5 times in total.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

If there is ever a time to max out the system, it's between now and the next warm-up coming this weekend. One week from today, the masses will be arriving if not sooner.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

They likely won't be able to do that because of the marginal conditions. Air capacity will be the limiting factor long before water, so they won't hit that point where the water and air curves meet and a system is considered "maxed out". Long story short, lotta noise and not a lot of output.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

newpylong1 wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 10:24 Long story short, lotta noise and not a lot of output.
So Killington is turning into Kzone.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

a report on facebook says that the conditions are good under the guns at least on rime.

as for snowmaking, while air is a factor, can see them abandoning their 26 degree wet bulb rule to get things done.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Upper Bunny and Mouse Trap surprisingly good at the bell. Quite a few guns going on Snowdon. Temps in upper 20s. Groomers did a good job last night considering.
winter
Blue Chatterbox

Post by winter »

They didn't really get temperatures until this morning and of course temps will be getting colder throughout the day.

Not surprised we will hear more reports of guns in more places.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

3.7" of r*in at Jiminy yesterday but "just a flesh wound." Mostly hero to edgeable cord this morning with some chunkiness. The 3 steep trails that opened for the season last week were closed but they look skiable.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

PinnacleJim wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 10:43 Upper Bunny and Mouse Trap surprisingly good at the bell. Quite a few guns going on Snowdon. Temps in upper 20s. Groomers did a good job last night considering.
So why is the K App showing Bunny and Mouse Trap CLOSED. I'm getting tired bitching about their inability to keep this info updated. It's times like these that you really need it.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 11:32
PinnacleJim wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 10:43 Upper Bunny and Mouse Trap surprisingly good at the bell. Quite a few guns going on Snowdon. Temps in upper 20s. Groomers did a good job last night considering.
So why is the K App showing Bunny and Mouse Trap CLOSED. I'm getting tired bitching about their inability to keep this info updated. It's times like these that you really need it.
Frustrating I understand, but days like this are actually probably even harder to keep it updated with not knowing what conditions will really yield after a day like yesterday.

I feel for the folks at SR. The photos and videos are insane - they are closed tomorrow too to continue to assess the situation. I don't have any feet on the ground, but looking at the photos I can't imagine they will be up and running anytime soon. Just very heartbreaking.
Don't Killington Pico
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

boston_e wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 14:13
Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 11:32
Frustrating I understand, but days like this are actually probably even harder to keep it updated with not knowing what conditions will really yield after a day like yesterday.

I feel for the folks at SR. The photos and videos are insane - they are closed tomorrow too to continue to assess the situation. I don't have any feet on the ground, but looking at the photos I can't imagine they will be up and running anytime soon. Just very heartbreaking.
This storm did to Maine what Irene did to VT. Sunday River got 5 inches of r*in which completely trashed the place a week before Christmas. Those repairs are going to take weeks if not months, especially so in the dead of winter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/370214754012000/
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

Mister Moose wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 10:28
newpylong1 wrote: Dec 19th, '23, 10:24 Long story short, lotta noise and not a lot of output.
So Killington is turning into Kzone.
:lol: