2024 Election

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: 2024 Election

Post by easyrider16 »

Agreed. He's taking a parting shot at Haley because she'll be around the next time he wants to run. Trump won't.

What's crazy is that DeSantis gets to go back to being governor for another three years in FL. If I were the people of FL, I'd be pretty annoyed that we had an absentee governor for the last year or two. But then again, it probably kept DeSantis from doing more stupid sh!t in the state, so maybe some people are unhappy he's coming back.

In any case, it makes perfect sense for DeSantis - he makes peace with Trump but doesn't need to secure a spot in his administration so he doesn't need to kiss ass, and he gets to go pander to the right as governor for another three years in preparation for his next shot at the crown.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Jan 22nd, '24, 08:49 Agreed. He's taking a parting shot at Haley because she'll be around the next time he wants to run. Trump won't
You don’t think so? If he loses in 2024, he will be back $02
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I doubt he'll live that long. If he does, I don't think he'll be politically viable anymore. He'll either be term limited as a two-term ex-president or a candidate who lost twice, and he'll probably be in no condition to run health-wise.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Trump suggests the US shouldn't come to Taiwan’s defense if China attacks it. He says Taiwan "took our business away"

https://x.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/17 ... 66429?s=20
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I don't think that's what he said. And I think he actually makes a valid point, though poorly stated, regarding the chip business in Taiwan. It's what the CHIPS act is meant to rectify. In short, this is something both Biden and Trump agree on.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Jan 22nd, '24, 11:15 I don't think that's what he said. And I think he actually makes a valid point, though poorly stated, regarding the chip business in Taiwan. It's what the CHIPS act is meant to rectify. In short, this is something both Biden and Trump agree on.
I'd say he alluded to it, which is consistent with how he handles situations where he think he/we have been slighted.

I like to think, not sure if I'm right or not, the US created an environment where chip manufacturing went to Taiwan. Same thing we've done with several other industries and CHIPS tries to correct this.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Every accusation with the GOP is a confession

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status ... O9tFcTavKQ
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jan 22nd, '24, 13:01
easyrider16 wrote: Jan 22nd, '24, 11:15 I don't think that's what he said. And I think he actually makes a valid point, though poorly stated, regarding the chip business in Taiwan. It's what the CHIPS act is meant to rectify. In short, this is something both Biden and Trump agree on.
I'd say he alluded to it, which is consistent with how he handles situations where he think he/we have been slighted.

I like to think, not sure if I'm right or not, the US created an environment where chip manufacturing went to Taiwan. Same thing we've done with several other industries and CHIPS tries to correct this.

I think he floated both scenarios. Don't help Taiwan because they stole our chip manufacturing business, and then conversely help Taiwan because a Chinese takeover could shut down the world by controlling chip business.
ImageImageImageImage
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

The part about them stealing our business is stupid and it's why I said he stated the position poorly. They didn't steal our business. Companies like Apple, AMD, and Nvdia willingly handed them our business because TSMC is really good at it. It's just free trade in a free market. I do think the CHIPS act and offering incentives to bring that business back home makes sense, and both parties can agree on it. But Trump gets votes by stoking angry feelings in his supporters, and it definitely ramps up the anger to accuse Taiwan of stealing our business.

A good reporter would have followed up that exchange by asking Trump about the CHIPS act. But it's Fox, so you know.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Trump's plan

https://x.com/LeadingReport/status/1750 ... 63838?s=20
Trump’s plan to dismantle the ‘Deep State':

1. Immediately reissue 2020 executive order restoring the president’s authority to remove rogue bureaucrats and wield that power “very aggressively."

2. Clean out all the corrupt actors in our national security and intelligence apparatus.

3. Totally reform FISA courts.

4. Establish a “Truth and Reconciliation Commission” to declassify and publish all documents on the deep state’s spying, censorship, and corruption.

5. Launch a major crackdown on government leakers who collude with “fake news to deliberately weave false narratives and subvert our government and democracy.”

6. Make every inspector general’s office independent and physically separated from the departments they oversee.

7. Ask Congress to establish an independent auditing system to continually monitor our intelligence agencies.

8. Continue the effort launched by the Trump administration to move parts of the federal bureaucracy to new locations outside the “Washington Swamp.”

9. Work to ban federal bureaucrats from taking jobs at the companies they deal with and regulate.

10. Push a constitutional amendment to appose term limits on members of Congress.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

These reforms on their face actually don't sound bad at all. I'm not sure I'd trust Trump to actually implement them in any way other than as a means to punish his enemies, but that's a character issue not an issue with the policies themselves.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Jan 25th, '24, 09:08 These reforms on their face actually don't sound bad at all. I'm not sure I'd trust Trump to actually implement them in any way other than as a means to punish his enemies, but that's a character issue not an issue with the policies themselves.
Well, I guess if you want to ignore the Civil Service laws…
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Well it said "rogue" bureaucrats - if you define that as bureaucrats who aren't doing their jobs properly, that's a for-cause removal that should be compatible with civil service laws.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

THIS IS THE TRUMP STOCK MARKET BECAUSE MY POLLS AGAINST BIDEN ARE SO GOOD THAT INVESTORS ARE PROJECTING THAT I WILL WIN, AND THAT WILL DRIVE THE MARKET UP — EVERYTHING ELSE IS TERRIBLE (WATCH THE MIDDLE EAST!), AND RECORD SETTING INFLATION HAS ALREADY TAKEN ITS TOLL. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bloomberg this morning suggesting Trump is edging ahead in swing state polls with more of the electorate saying the border is their biggest concern. The theory is that the economy is improving so people aren't as concerned with that, but nobody's really crediting Biden for it. They blame Biden for the border but don't seem to care yet that Biden has agreed to sign a border deal that Trump is trying to kill. Maybe things might change once it becomes clear that Trump torpedoed that deal. I doubt it though, because IMHO the electorate decides on feelings not logic, and Trump is better at framing his issues to stoke feelings.

On the other hand, WaPo seems to think GenZ is going to vote more in this election than past generations, and that's going to shift the vote. I tend to doubt it but it bears watching.