2024 Election

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: 2024 Election

Post by easyrider16 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Mar 5th, '24, 09:49 Seems Section 3 of the 14th Amendment would never really be used now?
I mean I think this is the take away from this situation. It's such a poorly written, poorly thought-out section of the Constitution that it's basically useless, at least as it regards the President. Impeachment is likely the only viable method to remove a duly-elected President, and as we know that is also pretty useless.

I guess the section is potentially useful for members of congress. Congress could vote to refuse to seat a duly elected representative or senator based on Section 3, and I don't think SCOTUS could do anything about that.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 5th, '24, 09:52
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Mar 5th, '24, 09:49 Seems Section 3 of the 14th Amendment would never really be used now?
I mean I think this is the take away from this situation. It's such a poorly written, poorly thought-out section of the Constitution that it's basically useless, at least as it regards the President. Impeachment is likely the only viable method to remove a duly-elected President, and as we know that is also pretty useless.

I guess the section is potentially useful for members of congress. Congress could vote to refuse to seat a duly elected representative or senator based on Section 3, and I don't think SCOTUS could do anything about that.
Here's hoping, should Trump be re-elected, the House or Senate maintain a majority by Democrats.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Considering this is a VT related forum… Way to go, VT! You chose Haley over the Orange Cheeto in your primary!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 29th, '24, 10:03 My guess is they will render an opinion that discusses the key legal issues for the immunity argument, and instruct the trial court to proceed based on their opinion. Then the case gets scheduled for trial, and if convicted, Trump will appeal again. All told, this case won't be fully wrapped up until well after the election.

Long and short of it is, Trump likely makes it to the election as a candidate. If democrats want to beat him, they'll have to beat him at the ballot box.
Trump immunity oral argument set for April 25 ... last day of hearings this term.

easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I've been thinking about this, and I think part of the reason SCOTUS is delaying here is that they don't want a trial before the election, and not just because the majority of justices are right-wingers. I think they don't want to get involved in the politics, and that includes the liberal judges. They want this to be decided by the electorate.

If the trial gets delayed until after the election, and Trump wins, all these cases go away and they don't have to do anything. If he loses, all the urgency of these prosecutions goes away and it could be years before SCOTUS has to deal with post-trial appeals. By then, few people will care.

Bottom line, I don't think SCOTUS wants to be in the spotlight and risk political retribution from either party. They have cushy, lifetime appointments, so why risk it? They can even justify it - they'll tell themselves and their associates that these are big, weighty issues, and the process shouldn't be rushed.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

Now that we're down to Trump vs Biden in the general election I hope the major networks will stop treating Trump as a legitimate candidate. He is not a legitimate candidate, he's all of the things he's been accused of and should be trashed like the scum that he is. Hopefully he will not survive until November.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

G-smashed wrote: Mar 6th, '24, 18:48 Now that we're down to Trump vs Biden in the general election I hope the major networks will stop treating Trump as a legitimate candidate. He is not a legitimate candidate, he's all of the things he's been accused of and should be trashed like the scum that he is. Hopefully he will not survive until November.
Pass the Preparation H for this dude…..
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

You know what Biden just pulled? Rope-a-dope.

So the GOP just spent the last few years piling on Biden about his age, claiming he had dementia, was not up to the task, etc., and the whole time Biden just stayed silent, out of the spotlight, and took the hits. Then at the SOTU he came out swinging - not only did he give a solid speech, he anticipated the heckling and had responses ready. Meanwhile Trump is out there talking nonsense at stump speeches, making crazy tweets, and melting down under the stress of all his legal troubles.

I have to admit, I underestimated Biden. Turns out the guy is a pretty good politician after all. He still has his work cut out for him, but I think the SOTU was a pretty impressive start.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 9th, '24, 15:20 You know what Biden just pulled? Rope-a-dope.

So the GOP just spent the last few years piling on Biden about his age, claiming he had dementia, was not up to the task, etc., and the whole time Biden just stayed silent, out of the spotlight, and took the hits. Then at the SOTU he came out swinging - not only did he give a solid speech, he anticipated the heckling and had responses ready. Meanwhile Trump is out there talking nonsense at stump speeches, making crazy tweets, and melting down under the stress of all his legal troubles.

I have to admit, I underestimated Biden. Turns out the guy is a pretty good politician after all. He still has his work cut out for him, but I think the SOTU was a pretty impressive start.
All of that is irrelevant to his supporters, that is if they even see it on the news feeds/channels they watch or read.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Right but Biden knows he can't win Trump's hard core supporters. All he's trying to do is sway the independents in swing states.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Trump on Squawk this morning ... lets see how he did ...

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

[/quote]
Attachments
Word Salad.jpg
Word Salad.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 271 times
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 9th, '24, 19:13 Right but Biden knows he can't win Trump's hard core supporters. All he's trying to do is sway the independents in swing states.
And court Nicki Haley voters.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

The GOP is not done trying to own itself this election cycle:

Trump makes fun of Biden's stutter:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... er/677708/

Trump can't stop defaming Carroll:
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/11/trump-a ... lties.html

How does he expect to win over moderates when he acts like this? Most people in the political middle find this behavior repulsive regardless of what his base might think of it.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

our Economy is bad, and our Stock Market is rising only because Polls are strongly indicating that we will WIN
This f'n guy

Guess what Trump supporters. Ole Donnie thinks you all are so stupid and gullible, that you all will believe this BS

Do you?