Thursday 12/28

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RustyK
Whipping Post

Thursday 12/28

Post by RustyK »

Moist out at 10. Couple of cruise warm ups.

Bear ok. Bar better , but empty. They cancelled all music at the lodges.

Found Rogman at the bear lift. Over to the box and k1 bar. More peeps.

Downdraft head wall still open to LEF. Some good bumps.

High line still open , but not for long.

Rest of the foggy runs seemed the same with low vis and beginners.

Called it at 2:30 to try some sight seeing.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Finn
Postaholic

Re: Thursday 12/28

Post by Finn »

Ah the early bird gets the best snow at 8 am with GIS. visibility was poor with fog shifting in and out.
Snowdon firm snow to start then spring snow. Over to cruise via the box and bear. Nice snow but heavy fog.

Back to Snowdon and a few more foggy runs with heavy mist r*in. Short day but it’s nice to be on snow.

So happy I wore my blue short raincoat.

Tomorrow’s another day.

K groomers are being very creative with farming snow and making the trails great for us. Thank you

Got skis tuned preparing for the cold weather on Saturday.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

decided to wait out the precip - unsuccessfully. skied the afternoon shift at pico. pretty much constant mist and occasional drip w fog up high. just a continuation of this week's weather. more a nuisance than anything. soft snow continues to be the rule though there are a few bare spots.

not a lot open so did multiple laps on most trails. my fave was b slope with last weeks freshly made snow. nobody on the trail. thought maybe i had poached it by accident ... 49'er good as was everything else. the golden went down around 2:15. running on backup to get everyone off. not sure if/when it came back on-line. meant more b slope & 49'er laps. just a relaxing, low stress couple hrs at the place no one should go.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

RustyK wrote:Moist out at 10. Couple of cruise warm ups.

Bear ok. Bar better , but empty. They cancelled all music at the lodges.

Found Rogman at the bear lift. Over to the box and k1 bar. More peeps.

Downdraft head wall still open to LEF. Some good bumps.

High line still open , but not for long.

Rest of the foggy runs seemed the same with low vis and beginners.

Called it at 2:30 to try some sight seeing.
No music? WHAT?

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Snowdon/North Ridge Report: Best day of the week for me. Sorta caught the NCP "Gap" though the times where there was no NCP were far and few between. With that said, a good jacket [w/ hood], a good pair of ski pants, good goggles, and a Ski Gee on a "yo-yo" helped out a lot. Viz mostly pretty good except for where the 'trails' are wide [bottom of Rime, bottom of Mouse Trap, etc.]. Looked like I missed out on most of the crowds as the parking lots were full much further back than past coupla days; most of the early birds had called it quits by the time I got out. 9 runs in 2 hours.

ROTD: Tough call with LEF taking the top step over Highline. First two times down it were great hard right from the mens tee. Good now but gonna pay the price when it firms up Saturday. On my final run, decided to hit it again from the Ladies tee off the bubble and the left side/ridge was really good. Even the center of the trail was OK with spaced out bumps being the rule and tighter bumps on the sides. LEF got bonus points over Highline for no rocks.

In North Ridge, Lower Rime bumps best they've been maybe all season. Could even get an edge set in the ancient troughs that started day 1. Nothing above that really mattered and the "SA" Double Dip bump line is gone.

Upper Bunny excellent especially flirting with the right side thin cover [low skier traffic and great viz]. Mouse Trap good coast to coast though the viz went away at the bottom.

Highline was really good, except having to tiptoe around the rocks. Butt, well worth it. Pay no attention to the Rusty K "stay left" advice from a coupla days ago; that report is outdated. Need to stay right for most of the beginning of the run, then a "Time Warp" dance down through the battle zone followed by a decent reward for the effort the rest of the way down.

We'll see what tomorrow brings !

Screw the K bars - Music at my house tonight !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Kind of a carbon copy of Wednesday. Wet and ugly. DId hit the Downdraft headwall with Rusty (some walking required) which was nice. Highline is cooked, was surprised it was open, but there is a line, so I suppose… Upper Bitter no longer marked as groomed so I’ll count that as a win. JK. It’s closed, unfortunately. The Viper Pit continues to be a problem for folks. Bare spots and bumps. I’m curious as to why they didn’t do anti-venom instead. Groomers have got to be getting tired of trying to put the mountain back together every night, they’ve been doing yeoman work farming this week. At least Killington has used this warm weather window to do some desperately needed maintenance, They’ve done well to get through this debacle with (AFAIK) the most open terrain in the east.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Forecast temps look to stay below freezing next week. I hope they made some money to buy diesel fuel and kilowatts.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

skiadikt wrote: Dec 28th, '23, 16:37 skied the afternoon. the golden went down around 2:15. running on backup to get everyone off. not sure if/when it came back on-line. meant more b slope & 49'er laps. just a relaxing, low stress couple hrs at the place no one should go.
We were on that chair. That was a soggy 25 minutes. The chair was down for the rest of the day thereafter. We did a few LPT laps after then got into dry clothes in the RV by 3:30.
49er was good too, but the place is horribly thin.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.