friday 12/29 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

friday 12/29 report

Post by skiadikt »

getting frickin' tired of that erroll garner song ... at least early, constant goggle swiping mandatory. did dry out the last hour or so. this weather system hopefully ends tonight. been a sog fest all week. pretty good crowd on hand. lifts not bad but skier density well past my tolerance level. 8-11 shift.

a couple bear laps at the bell. more like cottage cheese. cruise good as well. once again soft snow the rule (the piper will collect his due tonite). mid-supe very nice early. swarms coming down so got hacked up pretty good. later not the smoothest of rides. stunningly there's a rock band extending across most of the hw. looked more like late may. lark/high road good. didn't care much for lower lark.

passed on the hw - more walking than we wanted to do. racing on uef. seriously on a holiday week? otherwise not much to see up there unless you like the rime bumps (get 'em while u can). gonna call lef rotd. surprisingly good, soft bumps w a variety of lines to choose from. definite repeat.

they finally put highline down. the rest of snowdon was ok. cruise was an absolute mess on our return. bodies and bare spots. fun. lots of shipwrecks amid the rocks on the viper pit. mtn opps are gonna have to work their magic one more night. hopefully we don't get a hard freeze. if so, tomorrow could be fugly.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Re: friday 12/29 report

Post by rogman »

Not much to add. Out from 8:30 till a bit after one with a couple of breaks.It only got worse. Early is the only way. Big bumps in the usual places, and regular bumps in unusual places. Lot of once a year skiers overmatched for the conditions. Viper pit gets a little bit worse every day, bare spots to dodge, and moguls to navigate. The “I don’t do bumps” crowd was lining the crown, gathering the gumption to get down. Morbid curiosity made me watch for a bit, but I vicariously felt their pain, fear, and frustration. Been there. Intermittent fog, sometimes graduating to mist, hung around, yet at other times great viz. I will not miss this weather, or these conditions. Time for this system to exit stage left, and for a new pattern to emerge, I’m sick of this sh*t.
wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Post by wgo »

Thanks for the report. Making the drive up from Central Virginia the middle of next week to ski for a few days starting Jan 4. Hopefully the snowmaking between now and then will allow for recovery on the recently lost trails like highline. Probably too much to hope for some terrain expansion as well.

P.s. first time posting here! Apologies if I should not have posted on a report thread.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Howdy Beast Bitches!

Today at the renowned slopes, we witnessed a remarkable day for skiing, with conditions that can only be described as sublime. The soft, rolling bumps offered an exceptional experience, though it's with a touch of melancholy that we observed the gradual thinning of our beloved mountain's snowy coat.

In the early hours, the LEF trails presented a winter wonderland, with their pristine bumps providing a delightful challenge. However, as the day progressed, these trails became a bustling hub of activity, attracting skiers of varied skill levels. Despite the influx, seasoned skiers found joy in skillfully weaving through the crowds, adding an extra layer of excitement to the descent.

The afternoon brought new adventures at the Bear slopes. Here, the bumps remained enjoyable, yet the challenge was heightened by the presence of fellow skiers navigating the terrain. It was a dance of sorts, a graceful maneuvering around enthusiasts who earlier graced the LEF trails.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Out at 10:30 Sup chair nice with herbs galore.

Bear foggy and the viper pit was very entertaining.

Lots of brown spots everywhere. Bummer about closed Highline.

Peak bar crowded. So was GN. K1 bar better with movie star sighting of Colin Jost and Scarlett Johansson seated near the upstairs fireplace.

Back out for more sup runs the met Borgy at the peak bar for last call. Downdraft headwall still good.

K1 bar again for HH with the crack o noon.

Good spring day with lots of bars again.
Where is Happy Hour ?
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

wgo wrote:Thanks for the report. Making the drive up from Central Virginia the middle of next week to ski for a few days starting Jan 4. Hopefully the snowmaking between now and then will allow for recovery on the recently lost trails like highline. Probably too much to hope for some terrain expansion as well.

P.s. first time posting here! Apologies if I should not have posted on a report thread.
No need to apologize… have you seen some of the tangents threads take around here?

Welcome to the fray! Be sure to post updates next week!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Pretty good with better viz than perhaps earlier in the day, especially at Bear [where I started]. Never went "North" of Supe pod for that reason. Herb Meter dropping steadily through the session; Late is the only way to go [RM].

ROTD: Skye Claw / Bear Burst, or whatever you want to call it. Creamy, butt a bit hacked up at the start, then the first section of nice bumps near where you can scoot over to WF. Viper Pit was really good once you got past the rocky ledge up top, but watch out for the sink hole on the right. I think most of the Herbs had moved on by the time I was there; heard several of them at the bottom deciding which lift to ride to make sure they didn't have to come down that again! Thus, relatively low skier/rider density for the final pitch with very nice snow / bumps.

Lower Cruise Control was really good as well, though several areas of very thin cover and a higher Herb density than at Bear. And plenty of sidebar entertainment with the herbs on the Northbrook Quad.

Several runs off Supe. Upper Bitter is toast / gone. Lower Bitter decent and holding up OK. Supe HW was awesome once you got past the ledge, though this was in a bit of fog. Nothing special about Middle Supe and Preston's was really good either side. Middle Skyelark a mess of hacked up snow but really liked Lower Skye with decent GS bumps with firm, but carveable troughs.

Glad I went out.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Heard something about the Rams Head chair going down mid-day? Friends of mine had ridden it earlier in the day then went down only to find K shuffling everyone through the tunnel to a huge line at Snowshed.

??
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Post by wgo »

spanky wrote: Dec 29th, '23, 20:08
Thanks! Glad to be here. This will only be my second trip up to Killington - first was 5 years ago, skiing in 2 inches of r*in the first day and then dust on crust the second day. At least this time the weather seems like it will allow for some decent conditions, even if not much more gets open. Of the open terrain, what are some of the runs or combos of runs I should check out? Obviously Superstar. Looks like Downdraft headwall to lower East Fall is another favorite?
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

wgo wrote: Dec 30th, '23, 09:58
Thanks! Glad to be here. This will only be my second trip up to Killington - first was 5 years ago, skiing in 2 inches of r*in the first day and then dust on crust the second day. At least this time the weather seems like it will allow for some decent conditions, even if not much more gets open. Of the open terrain, what are some of the runs or combos of runs I should check out? Obviously Superstar. Looks like Downdraft headwall to lower East Fall is another favorite?
You will be arriving at a good time. The weather is turning cold and they will have several days of snowmaking and grooming completed by the time you arrive. "Best" runs vary based on weather, snowmaking, grooming, etc. Check out these daily reports to get current info from the Killington regulars that know the mountain like the back of their hand.
wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Post by wgo »

PinnacleJim wrote: Dec 30th, '23, 10:54 Check out these daily reports to get current info from the Killington regulars that know the mountain like the back of their hand.
Will do. Even if I needed to search thru some past threads to figure out which run "Viper Pit" is. 8)
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

by the time you arrive most runs will have been resurfaced and even new ones opened or reopened (upper bitter & highline). the quality of runs varies from day to day and even hour to hour. at this point, it's hard to beat starting at bear w it's longer run, sunny weather (maybe), easy park and no crowd. cruise another to let it rip on. and yeah out of the current open terrain, lower east fall and hopefully a reopened highline are among favorites. downdraft hw may be rather firm since it never gets groomed unless they make snow on it. at this point, you can ski almost all the open terrain in 2 hrs and change so you can decide on your own favorites.

"viper pit" is steep drop-off section on skye burst.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

skiadikt wrote:
by the time you arrive most runs will have been resurfaced and even new ones opened or reopened (upper bitter & highline). the quality of runs varies from day to day and even hour to hour. at this point, it's hard to beat starting at bear w it's longer run, sunny weather (maybe), easy park and no crowd. cruise another to let it rip on. and yeah out of the current open terrain, lower east fall and hopefully a reopened highline are among favorites. downdraft hw may be rather firm since it never gets groomed unless they make snow on it. at this point, you can ski almost all the open terrain in 2 hrs and change so you can decide on your own favorites.

"viper pit" is steep drop-off section on skye burst.
The black section of Skyeburst as seen on the map newpy posted in the expansion thread…

https://killingtonzone.com/forums/viewt ... 13#p694413
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit