saturday 12/30 report (placeholder)

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

saturday 12/30 report (placeholder)

Post by skiadikt »

opted for no alarm this morning. actually looks like a good start. a reported inch of snow and continuing with another inch or 2 possible. also temps remained moderate overnight so perhaps things didn't lock up as hard as they could have. expecting today to be the most crowded day of the season w plenty of "entertainment" in the usual spots.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Re: saturday 12/30 report (placeholder)

Post by KingsFourMan »

Snowmakers are firing up guns on the North Ridge.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Very busy at opening bell at K1. The people that ski 1 or twice a year are in for variable conditions. K did the best they could do considering the weather.

Surprise as the grooming under the fluff is frozen in place. Good early heavenly to bear track to cruise. Then sky to bitter to bubble for a few: bunny to chute ok but frozen underneath with the new snow on top. A delight. North ridge 1 run upper dipper to great northern and chute to bunny and K 1. At the peak now. Spyderman just left down loaded and I will too.
Ski and be safe.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

[quote=Finn post_id=694407 time=1703952688 user_id=239]
Very busy at opening bell at K1. The people that ski 1 or twice a year are in for variable conditions. K did the best they could do considering the weather.

Entertainment for us with the new peeps and regulars that can’t ski the variable conditions that I like.

Surprise as the grooming under the fluff is frozen in place. Good early heavenly to bear track to cruise. Then sky to bitter to bubble for a few: bunny to chute ok but frozen underneath with the new snow on top. A delight.

North ridge 1 run upper dipper to great northern and chute to bunny and K 1.
Snow making all along great northern At the peak now. Spyderman just left down loaded and I will too, after the roll a coaster ride on Friday with too many people for me. Where’s Happy Hour? L
Ski and be safe.
[/quote]
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

here's snowshed ...
snowshed.png
snowshed.png (289.34 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Inexcusable that the double wasn't running. Luckily, I parked at Snowshed, so I bailed and went to Pico. Same variable conditions here, but much less people.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Killington needs to discourage people from parking at Bear until they can do something about viper pit. This picture doesn’t even begin to do justice to the carnage.
IMG_5388.jpeg
IMG_5388.jpeg (450.49 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

rogman wrote:Killington needs to discourage people from parking at Bear until they can do something about viper pit. This picture doesn’t even begin to do justice to the carnage.
IMG_5388.jpeg

Ooo looks just as delicious as yesterday - maybe I’ll head that way.

LEF is flipping sweet today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Looks like they're touching up North Ridge, DD HW, Bear Trax, Upper SS? Temps haven't dropped substantially yet unfortunately.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Dec 30th, '23, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I don’t think it is useful to the mountain for someone’s last run of the day to be an awful experience. For someone who is an expert skier it is certainly manageable, but there’s more than enough rocks there to do some damage. Whatever. We did discuss getting lawn chairs, beer, and holding up numbers.

Mountain has started recovery. About 15 guns going on Rime down to GN, a few across high road, and maybe another 10 or so on upper down draft. Spiderman texted that there were now guns on SS Headwall, so they are working their way down to lower elevations as the temperatures fall.

Anyway, the dusting on my deck turned into an inch at the base of Bear, and became two at the top of the SPE express. By late morning it was 3” at elevation, but truthfully, this powder was tracked out by 8:10. Underneath it was well manicured firmness. The combination made for an interesting challenge, but it was different from the last few days. Overall, chaotic, crowded, and peeps seemed to be enjoying themselves; who am I to be the grinch and suggest otherwise? Eventually, I opted for the exit having swiveled my head enough for the day.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

rogman wrote: Dec 30th, '23, 11:35 Killington needs to discourage people from parking at Bear until they can do something about viper pit. This picture doesn’t even begin to do justice to the carnage.
IMG_5388.jpeg
i don't know rogman all those people "survived" and made it down to here ...
bear.png
bear.png (152.91 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
what they need to do asap is make snow on that right where bear claw merges into skye burst and cuts left back to skye burst after the pit. is that section called anti-venon (for the viper pit).

fwiw while it's been that way forever, the trail nomenclature there, makes no sense.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

rogman wrote: Dec 30th, '23, 12:34 peeps seemed to be enjoying themselves; who am I to be the grinch and suggest otherwise?
always amazes me. but for many of these folks, this is their big ski trip of the season and they're just thrilled to be at a big mountain and enjoying whatever conditions and challenges thrown their way. "remember the time we went to killington" ...

some may come back for mlk or pres week but this is way more fun than their little mtn in pennsylvania.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

IMG_5391.jpeg
IMG_5391.jpeg (132.3 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
Forget OL, I want a “I survived the Viper Pit” shirt. BTW, Killington Locals FB has a pretty good video of it.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

for those w facebook, here it is ...

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1352314795651483
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

🐍🕳️