Sunday, December 31

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Sunday, December 31

Post by MrsG »

Long wait for shuttle due to incident on Rt4 - glad to hear no injuries! ….. I hope!
Mountain empty - best run Gateway, to Bear Claw - Viper Pit (taupe in color), lower Skyburst - not enough people to mess it up yet! Cruise, Highroad, Skylark, Bitter, Snowshed all good with interesting vis - definitely had to pay attention! Soft on top, with marbles surfacing as morning progressed! Did not do other side. Rt4 must have opened, crowds arrived - time to head out!

Happy New Year all!

Edit to correct Highline to Highroad - thanks CH;)
Last edited by MrsG on Dec 31st, '23, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Sunday, December 31

Post by skiadikt »

sometimes fate decides for you ... on the way to the mtn this morning traffic came to a standstill just before pico. apparently a jack-knifed tractor/trailer by wintergreen. there were reports of black ice. after not moving for about 15 min the decision was made - pico was the call.

surprisingly good conditions but the usual lousy viz up high. felt colder than the thermometer said. rotd was 49'er with pretty much ttb snowmaking. and wonder of wonders, the snow was dry from the hdk towers. but between the fog & snowmaking viz was difficult. best was far left under the towers. pike (mid down) skied well though there were some wet k3000s on one section. keep waiting to get my pass pulled on b-slope - no one lap after lap - must be closed :lol: . found all the people on fool's gold during our last run. could use some love. a number of thin spots and of course dodging the swarms of beginners. all-in-all a pleasant low key morning with better than expected conditions. more than happy to turn the page on 2023.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

MrsG wrote: Dec 31st, '23, 11:02 Long wait for shuttle due to incident on Rt4 - glad to hear no injuries! ….. I hope!
Mountain empty - best run Gateway, to Bear Claw - Viper Pit (taupe in color), lower Skyburst - not enough people to mess it up yet! Cruise, Highline, Skylark, Bitter, Snowshed all good with interesting vis - definitely had to pay attention! Soft on top, with marbles surfacing as morning progressed! Did not do other side. Rt4 must have opened, crowds arrived - time to head out!

Happy New Year all!
Can I assume High Road vs Highline ?
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

Early outing for us 830-1130. Caper warm up to the 6, forgot how empty the mountain can feel that early. Up to NR where we skied 10 or so excellent laps on all the open trails up there. Down lower east fall and out. Looked light a lighter crowd today. Much better conditions, great job to the snowmakers up there.
Last edited by Killington_Lover on Dec 31st, '23, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Ski It If You Can!..
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Morning Report: Figured I needed to try something different after yesterday afternoon's conditions. My plan was to be at Pico for first chair and see how long any decent conditions lasted. Butt, got caught up in the standstill on Rte 4 just past the Deli / Post Office. Figured accident of some sort so turned around to go to K.

Caper to get to Snowdon OK with some leftover beach sand in places. LEF much better than yesterday afternoon, but not what I would call good. Also, had the aforementioned fog up high, so decided to head to Bear and see if any cover left on the Viper Pit.

ROTD; Skye Claw / Bear Burst. Good cruising to start, OK at the first pitch, the Pit wearing down run by run, and the final pitch actually pretty good. Not too many herbs out butt they were replaced by swarms of KMS. Best viz on the mountain. Several laps there.

Cruise Control on the way back was a mess. Hacked up, Chunky Monkey, Thin Cover, thick sand, and higher skier/rider density served up the WROTD. High Road nothing special.

Supe Headwall great for first 3 turns, then a mix of decent new blown snow/somewhat icy patches, and piss poor viz until the final few turns. Not worth a repeat. Mid Supe meh. Lower Skyelark about the same as its been for a while with the predonimant condition being the roughened up World Cup training surface. Made it easy to get some speed to get across K1 until hitting the deep sand there.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Excellent at the open, but once the hordes arrived, conditions cratered. Fog kept us on the Bear side of SS; the peak, north ridge, and upper Snowdon appeared to be poor options. By late morning, even the ever reliable lower Cruise was bumped up and vexing the holiday crowd. We headed back to Bear, contemplating what we’d find at the Viper Pit. The solitary snow gun at the top helped, but not much; the show had begun. We headed down and out.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Killington Resort: The BIGGEST Winter has returned to The Beast. Check out the latest details here: https://txt.killington.com/XlX2dXk Reply STOP to opt-out

I guess winter returned? Meh.

Out for a couple of hours. More meh. Never made it to
Bear. Under the guns were ok, but no bumps.

I liked it better yesterday. LEF finally groomed. Now an ice skating rink. Lots o guns on Highline! Mouse trap ok.

Saw them setting up the fireworks at the bottom of flume. That might be the rotd.
See you all there at 4:30.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

RustyK wrote: Dec 31st, '23, 14:27 Killington Resort: The BIGGEST Winter has returned to The Beast. Check out the latest details here: https://txt.killington.com/XlX2dXk Reply STOP to opt-out

I guess winter returned? Meh.

Out for a couple of hours. More meh. Never made it to
Bear. Under the guns were ok, but no bumps.

I liked it better yesterday. LEF finally groomed. Now an ice skating rink. Lots o guns on Highline! Mouse trap ok.

Saw them setting up the fireworks at the bottom of flume. That might be the rotd.
See you all there at 4:30.
STBG!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Good NYE party at K1, excellent fireworks, even the parking lot was rocking’.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

rogman wrote: Dec 31st, '23, 19:23 Good NYE party at K1, excellent fireworks, even the parking lot was rocking’.
Parking at K-1 was full. We went back down to the upper Snowshed lot and watched the fireworks from there. Excellent show.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Bubba wrote: Dec 31st, '23, 21:22
rogman wrote: Dec 31st, '23, 19:23 Good NYE party at K1, excellent fireworks, even the parking lot was rocking’.
Parking at K-1 was full. We went back down to the upper Snowshed lot and watched the fireworks from there. Excellent show.
nice touch with giving away hot chocolate, marshmallows, sticks to roast them and the groomer parade. the deck was packed.
spoiled South American skiin' whore