Bear mountain parking

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Bear mountain parking

Post by wgo »

Looking at some past threads, seems like one piece of advice is to park at Bear mountain. Is that mostly something that is advisable for the weekend, or should I expect the upper lots to fill up on thursdays and Fridays as well?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Bear mountain parking

Post by Mister Moose »

Thursdays - not usually an issue
Fridays KBL and lower Snowshed will fill up, rest pretty available.
Saturdays everything fills up except upper Snowshed. Bear was open early last year on Saturdays only at 730am running the SPE, I think that's supposed to happen again this year.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

The Bear lot rarely fills, and the walk to the lift is level. It’s also a nice place to start your day because, like Snowdon, it faces east and catches the morning sun. The 7:30 Saturday open will be an added bonus, although you’ll not be permitted to leave that part of the mountain until the rest opens.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

If you're coming from the East it's a no brainer, assuming Skyeship isn't open yet.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

bear peak days (now consider friday a peak day). do not like the k1 parking sh*t show w folks double row center parking. bear lift access is very easy and at the bell way fewer people. and yeah sunny & warm - an absolutely terrible way to start your ski day ...

once they start running the SRQ on tues & thurs - another reason to park there - easy access to the front w/o the schlep.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I come from the west, so I only park at Bear when they open it at 7:30. I don't park at K1 except early and late season. I found there's a lot less competition for close spots at Ramshead and Snowshed, and it's totally easy to get to the rest of the mountain from either.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Vale lot for the win! Even if Rams has a last minute late start, you can schlep through tunnel to Snowshed. Let's you get a run in before you even ride a lift😉 …. and you practically ski to your car when ending the day!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

MrsG wrote: Jan 1st, '24, 15:11 Vale lot for the win! Even if Rams has a last minute late start, you can schlep through tunnel to Snowshed. Let's you get a run in before you even ride a lift😉 …. and you practically ski to your car when ending the day!
Shhh....Don't tell anyone.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Thursdays and Fridays are two very different days at K.

Thursday is, without a doubt, the least crowded day of the week. I call it "Pico Thursday at K". Powder Thursday at Pico, after it being closed for two days, is the worst kept secret in town. Thursdays with the SRQ are going to be sweet.

On a Thursday you can really take your pick of where to park. I wouldn't necessarily park at Bear just for the easy parking. You will find that everywhere.

I don't like getting stranded at Bear. It's even worse when it happens at Stage 1 (and it happens more and more frequently), but even at Bear it isn't like they fire up the BMQ the moment the SPQ goes down.

Vale is pretty high on my "ski on/ski off" list of parking. But if I want to go back to my car more than once during the ski day, K1 gives me more options of where to go when I click back in.

Park at K1 or Superstar and you have the Gondi, S6, S3, Rams, Snowshed and Supe all available to you. And if you want to start your runs at Bear you will get to the top of the SPQ, if you take the Superstar chair, at about the same time as if you take the SPQ itself.

I will still park at Stage 1 sometimes, partially because I like ending the day with that final peak to creek run. But it has become increasingly risky to do so.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Post by wgo »

Thanks for the info, all.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

and it just has a cool vibe. I used to park there all the time before we had kids
wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Post by wgo »

Hey sorry for all the noob questions and for the thread hijack (tho I guess it is my own thread I am hijacking), but how often do wind holds on the upper mountain lifts occur? I am seeing wind gusts of 50 or 60 mph predicted for later in the week.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

wgo wrote: Jan 2nd, '24, 13:50 Hey sorry for all the noob questions and for the thread hijack (tho I guess it is my own thread I am hijacking), but how often do wind holds on the upper mountain lifts occur? I am seeing wind gusts of 50 or 60 mph predicted for later in the week.
not often. sorry but i'm not seeing high winds forecasted at this moment but yeah if they're that high could be lift issues.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Upper mountain forecast doesn't look like anything the mountain can't handle...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 6718551205
ImageImageImageImage
Bumper

Post by 180 »

depends on the direction