State fo VT seeks answers to solving the housing crisis.

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Re: State fo VT seeks answers to solving the housing crisis.

Post by Bayfive »

Rutland it looks good from Mendon
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Bayfive wrote: Jan 2nd, '24, 20:22 Try to buy socks at Walmart in Rutland , you have to get a store employee to unlock the case that they are stored in because people are steeling them so much , that’s not like “ every other Walmart “
Same thing happens at the Walmarts near me. I don't understand why you think this only happens in Rutland. It happens at every low income area in the country.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Affordable housing? sure, we can talk about that. I think there's lots of things we can do, and Moose makes a good point about changing the regulations that are making things less affordable. There are also other things we can do. But don't come crying to me that you can't afford housing a short distance from the ski resort. You don't have a right to that, just like you don't have a right to beachfront property.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

boston_e wrote: Jan 3rd, '24, 07:59
Bayfive wrote: Jan 3rd, '24, 07:46 I can well afford my ski bum lifestyle, I live in a single family house that I own on 10 acres, with two garages full of toys 12 miles from the mountain , my point was that Rutland is a sh-t hole not this great place 20 minutes away
sh*t hole is a bit harsh - its not some resort town, but its a reasonable city where (at least from some online research) someone who works at the mountain can find reasonably priced housing.
Perhaps a little more research here might be in order. People are having a hard time finding reasonably priced housing in Rutland too. Just ask RRMC about how hard it is to get people to fill their openings. Ask the school system how hard it is to get teachers. Yes, I know, it's also a salary issue but the housing shortage is as acute in Rutland as it is anywhere else in the area. What's needed in Rutland, however, isn't necessarily new construction (although that would obviously help) but also the rehabilitation of older, run down properties to be turned into rental apartments.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

Blue state blues. You get what you vote for. :barebutt:
makemoreturns
Beginner On Rentals

Post by makemoreturns »

True. These issues don’t exist in red states.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Bayfive wrote: Jan 2nd, '24, 17:38 Ok hillbanging , jimmy and Pedro , let’s put a end to this debate I’m gonna take some morning runs then let’s meet at Walmart in Rutland around 1:00 tomorrow , we will walk around , check out the sights then walk across the street to the Angler pub for some 3 $ pints of P B R and discuss what we just witnessed , “ it’s like every other Walmart “ I think not , and for everyone bitching about the price of a pint at K , check out the Angler
Rutland is JV compared to what's going on in a lot of places.

Never been to the Angler - Pedro can your assistant check it out for us?
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Bayfive wrote: Jan 2nd, '24, 17:38 Ok hillbanging , jimmy and Pedro , let’s put a end to this debate I’m gonna take some morning runs then let’s meet at Walmart in Rutland around 1:00 tomorrow , we will walk around , check out the sights then walk across the street to the Angler pub for some 3 $ pints of P B R and discuss what we just witnessed , “ it’s like every other Walmart “ I think not , and for everyone bitching about the price of a pint at K , check out the Angler
Wife dropped me off at Greg's to get my haircut a little before 1 today. Hanging on the sidewalk outside after I realized the boys might pass by and I would join them for a beer at the Angler. Saw a few questionable characters but no group of zoners walked by. Maybe they went to Muck's around the corner instead.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Bayfive »

G I S , you should have stopped by the angler today I was in there at 1:00 put a 10 dollar bill on the bar had two pints of P B R and some good conversations and left a 4 dollar tip , then went home to do some chores all after taking 7 runs this morning
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

hillbangin wrote: Jan 3rd, '24, 21:53

Gave the assistant the day off, ill send my driver down with our nanny to size it up.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Pedro wrote:
hillbangin wrote: Jan 3rd, '24, 21:53

Gave the assistant the day off, ill send my driver down with our nanny to size it up.
Let's not send the nanny. Sounds like a dangerous place.

I'll send my chef. He's an ex Seal. Doubles as security.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Bayfive »

Welcome to beautiful Rutland v t , a oasis of affordable living , white picket fences , church steeples and a mountain backdrop all just a 20 minute bus ride to killington resort the Beast of the east , sounds to good to be true because it is , yes older buildings need to be
Renovated and I looked into doing just that , after investing all that time , money and risk at the end of the day your a land lord of a property in Rutland and for that you need to buy a LOT of narcam sprays for when you visit your properties
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Welp, this gets my vote for the most off the rails Kzone thread ever.

Important clarification: if we also include the political discussions this would just be Friday.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

‘Vermont delivered on all fronts’: Residents and business owners reveal why people are flocking to the state

More people moved to Vermont than any other state for the third year in a row.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/vermont-d ... king-state

Interesting that they don't mention that it's percentage wise, as far as net migration goes, it's not even in the Top 20

Apologies to those triggered by Fox News...you'll be OK.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Well, it's not that I'm triggered by Fox, but they did just pay out the biggest ever defamation settlement due to false and misleading reporting about stuff, so I'm having some issues with their credibility these days. That, and they are asking me for my email address when I click that link, and I'm not giving it to them.

Here's a link to a more reputable source, which actually links to the source data, and doesn't ask for my personal info:
https://vermontbiz.com/news/2024/januar ... tions-2023