Saturday, Jan 6th …

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Saturday, Jan 6th …

Post by MrsG »

Time to take your Christmas decorations down;)

Out early with MrG - he's nursing a strained calf muscle so was testing how it felt! Nice surprise inch of snow over groomed on the easier trails which is all we did! Southridge extension over around to Cruise was a nice cruiser for him - he thought Cruise had some ice marbles and slick, but second time, left side of Cruise along trees had the nice powder inch over groom! We stayed on similar and decided to call it when the crowds started arriving! Worked well for him - tomorrow is another day;). Think we counted six coach busses parked at the rear of Snowshed lot🥺
rogman
Postinator

Re: Saturday, Jan 6th …

Post by rogman »

So glad to hear MrG got out! Wise move to bail, also. To my eyes, it was the busiest day of the year so far, and hopefully a harbinger of things to come for the mountain. Lines at SS, the Bubble, and K1. SPE was walk on whenever I was there. At the open, everything skied well. First two runs down Bear Claw/Skyeburst, were sweet. The Viper Pit bypass was groomed and ready, but Patrol didn’t drop the rope until about an hour in. Skied it later, and the combination of visibility and ongoing snowmaking made it tough going. By afternoon, the Viper Pit side was no picnic either; it had reverted to its icy, death slide, norm. Lower Skyeburst had also become slick.

Cruise (with the added Great Eastern/Funnybone wraparound) was also good. Disappointed that Needles Eye trail was only lit up half way down, and it hadn’t been on long. It had looked like they were going to go T2B yesterday. They missed the cold window. Meanwhile, over on Highline guns were still going on skiers right. Now going on 8 days of snowmaking for one trail. They were finally starting to shut it down as I left. It skied well, it was awfully nice of KMS to let us borrow it /s.

The report says Easy Street is open under the guns. Typically, that crowd doesn’t like skiing in guns, but whatever. DIdn’t venture down there. They were starting to light up lower Wild FIre as I left, but it appears they don’t have enough capacity to go T2B on that either. Needles lift was scheduled to run, but couldn’t get out of the gate. Mechanical I guess. Too bad, stage 2 is a PITA and I’d have been happy to lap cruise and bittersweet. The current configuration of the mountain gives no place to hide from the weekend crowds.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Busy, as expected. Disappointed with not having Needle's Eye lift running AND the Snowdon Triple, that showed as OPEN all day long on the App but was not turning. Stayed on the North side from Canyon to Rams Head today.

ROTD: Highline. Still some decent ways to get down it.

Easy Street was Open at Rams Head and OK. Good to have a beginner way down RH finally. Caper getting back to Snowdon was good at first and then a mixed bag including beach sand whoop-de-doos on the flats. Tough for the beginners.

LEF seems to get better day by day with the left ridge skiing quite well I thought. Upper DD left side line improved from the day before and Rime and Upper Great Northern good as well. Mountain reported 1" new but looked like more than that to me up top.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Out at 10 for a sort of uninteresting day.

Lots of entertainment with the herbs.

Flat and fast race ski kinda day.

ROTD Snowshed bar with Pedro and Mr. Moose.
Where is Happy Hour ?