Operational Failures

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: Operational Failures

Post by hillbangin »

rogman wrote:At least some of Killington’s housing is located on the far side of the pass. Kzoners have the choice at stopping at Pico; workers don’t. Regardless, the reduced speeds limit the number of workers that can be moved in a given period of time. KMS level of entitlement in this thread.
It's an F ing ski area. Not a volunteer yoga studio.

Yesterdays delays had nothing to do with the weather.

Get up an hour earlier. Problem solved.

Or stop the stupid 8am open and just open at 9 like the rest of planet.

Or just say we are opening K1 at 8.

This is management 101 stuff - set proper expectations with your customers.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Let me chime in . . . 100% agree with this post !

Huge Failure . . . For the money they are charging the resort should be able to open their SIGNATURE LIFTS ONTIME !!!! What the actual F*ck?
Get up earlier. Anticipate issues . . Friggin bullshlt that you can't open on a powder day.. People are paying way too much for this to happen ... And it happens every powder day . .

Grade F
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

And don't even get me started on the app . . Updating closed lift status 10 minutes before opening is UNACCEPTABLE ! Who the f*ck is running the show up there . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Jan 8th, '24, 07:18
SPORE wrote: Jan 7th, '24, 08:22 Anyone who thinks Mike and Tate are doing a good job are smoking some good crack.

6” of snow and all major lifts delayed. Same as last year.
Tait Germon is our director of mountain operations. Spelling counts if you are calling someone out by their first name.

The J1 work force do not have their own transportation so they're at the mercy of The Bus. Getting employees to the mountain on a bad weather day is the challenge.
So you weren't in the Gondola line at 8:15 or so complaining to your group that they didn't have stuff open again? Not you with the "Jaded Lokal" sticker on their helmet?
Last edited by SPORE on Jan 8th, '24, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
SPORE

Post by SPORE »

rogman wrote: Jan 8th, '24, 05:36 So Rutland has a dive bar. There’s a shocker. The least surprising thing is that BayFive, who wants to rid KBL of all the riff raff and 100 day trash, hangs out there. Nothing against Dive Bars, PBR is one of the better cheap beers, but I’d expect it would take more than cheap beer and a $6.50 cheeseburger to entice someone of your discriminating palate Mr. Moose. Besides, we have Mogul’s; we use to have KBL.

As for this thread, on the whole Killington did a pretty good job yesterday, given the challenges they had. Whatever else, the crew is hardworking and motivated. Superstar was loading 3 per chair due to problems at the top; lifties were seen pushing the chairs around the terminal. The Bubble was being recalcitrant again, they got it going and kept it running. It isn’t easy to work in a blizzard: just showing up is a challenge, but there they were. The mob scene in KBL was managed. Patrol dropped ropes on everything that was skiable (and a few things that weren’t, because why the hell not) I’m not setting a low bar, but it is important to adjust expectations to the circumstances.
A blizzard? We're calling yesterday a Blizzard?
SPORE

Post by SPORE »

If they knew it was going to be windy - why not start up the triple and get that going at 8am to try and move some people up the hill?

Killington has housing right on the access road - if they're at the mercy of the bus to get their employees the mountain on time - maybe Killington should run their own transportation to get them to work on time during storms - otherwise, change the opening time to 9am.
pepperdawg
Black Carver

Post by pepperdawg »

SPORE wrote: Jan 8th, '24, 08:41
rogman wrote: Jan 8th, '24, 05:36 So {snip} circumstances.
A blizzard? We're calling yesterday a Blizzard?
"The Weather Service has upgraded Killington's blizzard...
from winter wonderland to a class-three kill storm.
I don't like the sound of that "class-three."
-Woof
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

ski wrote: Jan 8th, '24, 08:21 Let me chime in . . . 100% agree with this post !

Huge Failure . . . For the money they are charging the resort should be able to open their SIGNATURE LIFTS ONTIME !!!! What the actual F*ck?
Get up earlier. Anticipate issues . . Friggin bullshlt that you can't open on a powder day.. People are paying way too much for this to happen ... And it happens every powder day . .

Grade F
I arrive before lifts start, Killington is the only ski area that I expect (as in 99.9% sure) that all lifts listed as open won’t start on time on a powday (not wind delay related). No other place I go to that I plan my parking on which lift I think is most likely to run first.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

I heard more than one person complain about spending $189 for a lift ticket only to find the lifts were not running as scheduled. One person was so mad I thought they might burn down the new lodge
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Not that the status at opening bell normally matters to me, but agree totally unacceptable.

This was not a blizzard, major storm, etc. It was 5 or 6" of blower pow that should not have caused lift icing, etc. I'd cut them a bit more slack if it was an 18" dump of heavy snow maybe but, as already said, ITS A SKI AREA.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Curious - Did any of the Pico'ers know about the Summit chair wind hold in advance?

Also, what's wrong with the Needle's Eye chair? There was at least one day where they advertised they were going to be running it. That's another important lift for those that don't want to wait in a line to ride a germ box.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 8th, '24, 09:43 Curious - Did any of the Pico'ers know about the Summit chair wind hold in advance?

Also, what's wrong with the Needle's Eye chair? There was at least one day where they advertised they were going to be running it. That's another important lift for those that don't want to wait in a line to ride a germ box.
AGREED!
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Pleeeeeeeease do not open at 9:00 am on Weekends/Holidays!!!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

BoozeTan wrote: Jan 8th, '24, 09:03 I heard more than one person complain about spending $189 for a lift ticket only to find the lifts were not running as scheduled. One person was so mad I thought they might burn down the new lodge
Probably staying at the Grand and disappointed that access to the fireplace is now locked.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I’m so mad so I’m going to use

ALL CAPS. THAT’LL SHOW ‘EM I MEAN BUSINESS

Sigh. Not doin’ it. Hit the showers, all caps, I’m bringing out

BOLD FONT. WHEN YOU NEED THOSE PIXELS TO HIT HARD

Hmm. Still not enough to convey my ANGER. Time to haul out the big cat,

GINORMOUS FONT

YES! Smells like victory. Or breakfast. Not sure. None of that namby pamby normal font stuff for me.