tuesday 1/9 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

tuesday 1/9 report

Post by skiadikt »

the sun played hard to get today. she was up there but hiding behind the haze. comfortable temps and w very little wind. a relief after being buffeted by the gales the past 2 days. the exception being the NR where south wind was right in your face. a lighter turnout than yesterday. 9-1 shift.

after yesterday's "abuse", my skis said "no mas", or to quote the who, "we won't get fooled again", so today was mostly a groomer day. at the bell, highline was flat, firm & fast - perfect for the kms kids. after that we encountered mtn wide, perhaps the best packed pow conditions of the season. upper bunny beautiful. LEF was so good that it earned an immediate encore. outside of a pow day, supe was the probably the best it had been this season. that was a recurring theme. groomers did a magnificent job tilling in sunday's 8" a 2nd day.

even the viper pit at bear skied well. cruise very good. guns ttb on panic/needles and it was quite good. some small, soft bumps to play in. did stay away from the guns for the most part. even skye lark joined the hit parade. in the NR, the upper dipper bump line, one of the nats we hit. speaking of nats, the surprise of the day was swirl & header were covered very well and skied great on nat snow. virtually nothing to avoid. all-in-all. quite a good day. hoping for the best w the incoming weather.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
my poor knees
Green Skidder

Re: tuesday 1/9 report

Post by my poor knees »

Sometimes I think the ski manufacturers are paying off Killington to open up their rockiest trails prematurely. I'm glad that they are enthusiastic about adding more open trails, but my skis bases are trashed.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Stayed on the Sup to Bear side! No ice marbles - everything groomed skied great. Did not like the looks of upper Wildfire and assumed other nats would be the same! Other than a few stops, no lift issues.

Be safe out there always, but especially until this storm comes and goes!
Grmmtnhkr34
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

I'll echo LEF. I did that early and 3 other times. Middle ovation was good but old SS was better. Stage 2 did go down for awhile. They pulled all the cabins off and relaunched them. Even skied upper downdraft. First fall of the year on the first big mogul. SS was also fantastic. Great day. I got 35,000 verts according to my slopes app.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Aternoon Report: Wow - Was expecting same as yesterday [that was quite good] butt even better today, especially on the nats! Late shift mighta benefitted a bit from the afternoon snow, but that was only about an inch. Bigger plus-up was the wind refresh the whole time we were out [1:15 - 4:20 shift]. And, it was pretty cold out [15-20 degrees].

ROTD: Upper Wildfire ! Was expecting a lot of rocks but just had to do it. Really had to go out of your way to hit a rock though 1 or 2 thin spots near the bottom. Excellent ! Good all the way down through Anti-Venom. Only downside was that Lower Burst was nothing special [morning shift musta "skied it off"]. Worth a repeat. Earlier Shorty option still good until I found Upper WF.

WROTD: Warmup on LEF. Pretty good actually.

Supe POD. Just had to do Middle 'O and wasn't expecting much. Pretty thin, but was able to have fun skiing it without hitting anything. Lower Supe was "meh"; wish they wouldn't groom so far right. Skyelark OK and about same as it's been. Wife liked Old Supe. Skye Hawk very skiable, but be careful.

Panic -> Needle's: Better than yesterday though not the best viz this afternoon. They had some guns on it earlier as we saw on our drive up the access road. All guns were off when I skied it, and all guns were off [Wildfire, Skyeburst, etc.] by day's end. BTW - Is that a "Snow Cone" at the top of Skyeburst?

Late day Snowdon / NR laps all good. UDDBL filling in nicely though a bit windpacked late in the day. Ridge Run still brown / very good. Highline excellent left and right with the upslope wind refresh doing it's thing. Bunny right excellent. Upper Royal OK+. Mouse Trap right very good as well.

Suprise ROTD contender was closing bell run on Conclusion. Definitely better than 2 days ago.

Great day out there.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Good start at the 9:00 gondi with GIS. LEF warm
Up superb. Cordory was perfect

Met up with SND and crew for a 15 person convoy.

Sky hawk to sup nice also. Some stoppage on the skyship day two. Thimble to panic still the best.

Bear meh. Some more rocks on old sup with the hatters after lunch. Hoping for skyburst and wildfire opening soon. See what the weather brings tomorrow.

Good KPAA mixer at The Snowed Inn.
Attachments
IMG_0646.jpeg
IMG_0646.jpeg (181.74 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Where is Happy Hour ?