The Black and Red Vests

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

The Black and Red Vests

Post by Southside_Bobby »

https://mountaintimes.info/killingtons- ... TGYi1aphbg

The safety crew will be part of what they are calling their "Ride another day" campaign.

"Recognizable by their black and red vests, they will seek to have an overall positive influence on guest decision-making by sharing information on Your Responsibility Code and the three tenets of the #rideanotherday campaign."

"This team will use a very deliberate strategy to realize its goals without relying on the implied threat of suspending skiing privileges. This is not to say that no passes will be pulled. If a guest is found to be in violation of resort policies or is disrespectful to staff, they may be subject to a pass suspension. "

"Our Mountain Safety attendants will take a unique approach to monitoring skiers and riders. Instead of evaluating guests on their perceived speed, style, relative skill level, or being ‘out of control,’ they’ll seek to evaluate decision-making and behavior relative to the trail density in the immediate area. For example, skiing fast on an empty trail may be deemed acceptable, but doing the same in a busy area is not."
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Re: The Black and Red Vests

Post by ANGUS »

1. Do they carry guns?
2. From the article. They look fat and out of shape.
3. If I'm not skiing like a jack @ss? Can they pull me over?
4. Are they mall cops?
5. Meow!
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

As long as they aren’t as aggressive as the yellow jackets I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea. We only (unfortunately) can ski on weekends and the “decision making” we witness leaves us dumbfounded.
Ski It If You Can!..
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

When Facebook pages like Killington Locals has stories of collisions and injuries on almost a weekly basis, as it seemed last year, something needed to be done.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
makemoreturns
Beginner On Rentals

Post by makemoreturns »

Angus, I hope those folks don’t see your mean-spirited post.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Killington has more busy intersections than any other mountain I've skied at. Trails like KLink, the bottom of Great Northern/Bunny, Home Run, High Traverse, Nivis Walk, and others have skiers crossing other skiers' lines. It's great for getting around the mountain when things aren't busy, but on a busy Saturday, many of these intersections are downright dangerous.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

makemoreturns wrote: Jan 11th, '24, 05:40 Angus, I hope those folks don’t see your mean-spirited post.
I didn't take it as mean spirited........I took it more as ....

They look like Mall Cops - my Dad was a mall cop semi-retirement so I say that with respect!

In all seriousness - I'm all for the safety stuff. Too much drinking, dope, and reckless skiing on the hill early season.

More open terrain usually fixes that.

Stay off of GE and GN and chances of getting clipped from behind drop dramatically.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Killington_Lover wrote: Jan 10th, '24, 17:31 As long as they aren’t as aggressive as the yellow jackets I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea. We only (unfortunately) can ski on weekends and the “decision making” we witness leaves us dumbfounded.
I wouldn't ski Killington on a Saturday past 10:30 if you put a gun to my head.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

KingsFourMan wrote: Jan 11th, '24, 09:22
Killington_Lover wrote: Jan 10th, '24, 17:31 As long as they aren’t as aggressive as the yellow jackets I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea. We only (unfortunately) can ski on weekends and the “decision making” we witness leaves us dumbfounded.
I wouldn't ski Killington on a Saturday past 10:30 if you put a gun to my head.
It truly sucks. In college I set up my classes into 3 busy days and skied 4 days almost every week. Hit 60, 80 and even 100 days. Now we are lucky to get 30 and take what we can get. 10 years out I have fond memories of the good ol days, and my knees when they worked better! I couldn’t tell if I have just slowed down some or if the hoards have lost their collective mind. Lots of out of control people out there and I don’t blame anyone who avoids the clown show.
Ski It If You Can!..
nsvencer1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by nsvencer1 »

Killington_Lover wrote: Jan 11th, '24, 10:13
It truly sucks. In college I set up my classes into 3 busy days and skied 4 days almost every week. Hit 60, 80 and even 100 days. Now we are lucky to get 30 and take what we can get. 10 years out I have fond memories of the good ol days, and my knees when they worked better! I couldn’t tell if I have just slowed down some or if the hoards have lost their collective mind. Lots of out of control people out there and I don’t blame anyone who avoids the clown show.
I do wonder if this is a Killington phenomena or more broadly at other major resorts in the NE. I'm all for "policing" the behavior at the bad intersections and allowing liberal decision making on open advanced trails away from intersections.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

It's definitely not specific to Killington. In fact, I think it impacts the Epic and unlimited Ikon resorts more. When everyone has a season pass, demand is much less elastic. While more people always come when there is fresh snow, more people will come on the bad days because they already have a pass that they want or need to use. So you get much bigger crowds on days with limited terrain, which means higher skier density, and a higher risk of collisions.
makemoreturns
Beginner On Rentals

Post by makemoreturns »

Weird how “they look fat and out of shape” isn’t considered mean-spirited on this forum.
CRR321
Beginner On Rentals

Post by CRR321 »

makemoreturns wrote: Jan 11th, '24, 11:09 Weird how “they look fat and out of shape” isn’t considered mean-spirited on this forum.
Right?! No one looks great in a uniform when you’re also wearing a chest pack with a radio.

I know two of them, and know who a 3rd is. The two I know (and I just know them- I’m not a close friend going to bat for them) are incredible skiers, very accomplished professionally/academically, and top notch people.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

easyrider16 wrote: Jan 11th, '24, 08:01 Killington has more busy intersections than any other mountain I've skied at. Trails like KLink, the bottom of Great Northern/Bunny, Home Run, High Traverse, Nivis Walk, and others have skiers crossing other skiers' lines. It's great for getting around the mountain when things aren't busy, but on a busy Saturday, many of these intersections are downright dangerous.
Agree totally! I think some “Look Up” with an arrow signs could be helpful!
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

Let's see them actually address the problem group on the mountain - until then its just lip sevice.