Make pot legal?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

What about that marijuana?

Legalize, Legalize, Legalize that dope! The government can't tell us no and neither can the pope!
83%
No, No, No! People should not be allowed to use it! Marijuana is a gateway drug!
No votes
No, No, No! Well, maybe if they have cancer, and a doctor prescribes it, and the source is regulated, and if it helps them, and...
17%

Total votes: 24

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

CAPBOY wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
CAPBOY wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:For being conservative....one of my controversial views are my views on Marijuana. I think it should be legalized....after all....how many deaths does Alcohol and Cigarettes provide compared to Marijuana?

E
You're not controversial; rather, you are an annoyance to DMC.
Well...maybe true....but look at things finacially for just one short moment. If pot was legalized...we could tax it...SS problem solved :D
You are overly optimistic. Think of all of the law enforcement officials that would be out of work and seeking unemployment. Not to mention, the dealers that would be seeking public assistance.
So in otherwords...some policemen are out of work...we can cut taxes locally....most policemen involved in pot could go other sectors of law enforcement I'm sure.....and dealers could seek public assistance but would eventually have to find a job OR deal other drugs (which I'm not in favor of doing). (I'm being factualy ignorant because I want to keep this as a yay or nay...and not politics and financial figures)

I don't know....I'm not doing any research on this...just saying we could legalize pot and make it work for everyone...even if you don't smoke.

And to what snowsprite said...I am for regulation on Pot. I would want it treated like alcohol...no driving high, no working high, the public display part is debateable to me.

E
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Jun 13th, '05, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Kind of funny, but I said go for it. more tax revenue and something else to bitch about. People want cigarettes out of the picture because it is so BAD and smells BAD. Yet, many would allow Mary Jane. Mary Jane makes me sick, but hell with it. Light em up if you got em.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Dr. NO wrote:Kind of funny, but I said go for it. more tax revenue and something else to bitch about. People want cigarettes out of the picture because it is so BAD and smells BAD. Yet, many would allow Mary Jane. Mary Jane makes me sick, but hell with it. Light em up if you got em.
Done
ImageImageImageImage
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: So in otherwords...some policemen are out of work...we can cut taxes locally....most policemen involved in pot could go other sectors of law enforcement I'm sure.....and dealers could seek public assistance but would eventually have to find a job OR deal other drugs (which I'm not in favor of doing).

I don't know....I'm not doing any research on this...just saying we could legalize pot and make it work for everyone...even if you don't smoke.

And to what snowsprite said...I am for regulation on Pot. I would want it treated like alcohol...no driving high, no working high, the public display part is debateable to me.

E
There is A LOT of money in law enforcement. DEA, Narcs, DA's, FBI/JD, McGruff, etc. etc. Don't think for one moment that all of those people have a relavent use in some other area in government or public service. The "war" on drugs created a cottage industry for many people that had no other role in society.

And if you are right that all of these people would have employment in other areas of LE, than how do you cut taxes if you still have the same expense levels?

I'm not condoning that YOU do research, just that you think it through from top to bottom before you post.
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

Dr. NO wrote:Kind of funny, but I said go for it. more tax revenue and something else to bitch about. People want cigarettes out of the picture because it is so BAD and smells BAD. Yet, many would allow Mary Jane. Mary Jane makes me sick, but hell with it. Light em up if you got em.
Bourbon makes me hurl. Still legal and many love it.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

My former cop neighbor had this to say on the matter.

Why are drug illegal? Because drug crime pays.

It pays to deal. It pays to be a corrupt cop. It pays NOT to be a corrupt cop, but to have a job simply because of drug related crime. It pays various gov't agencies to "combat" the "problem" (some of which only exist BECAUSE of illeagal drugs). It pays to be a doctor treating addicts.

In one way or another, it all pays. Ultimately, someone loses.... but that is life and true of all virtuall human endeavor.

Think about it - does the DEA **really** want the "drug problem" to vanish? Not if said agency wants to continue to exist.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

CAPBOY wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: So in otherwords...some policemen are out of work...we can cut taxes locally....most policemen involved in pot could go other sectors of law enforcement I'm sure.....and dealers could seek public assistance but would eventually have to find a job OR deal other drugs (which I'm not in favor of doing).

E
There is A LOT of money in law enforcement. DEA, Narcs, DA's, FBI/JD, McGruff, etc. etc. Don't think for one moment that all of those people have a relavent use in some other area in government or public service. The "war" on drugs created a cottage industry for many people that had no other role in society.

And if you are right that all of these people would have employment in other areas of LE, than how do you cut taxes if you still have the same expense levels?

I'm not condoning that YOU do research, just that you think it through from top to bottom before you post.
Yea...I edited my post noting that I am being ignorant specifically to keep the thread on track. I know many jobs will be lost...but I just can't seem to justify (not say you are) people getting arrested for smoking some herb in a peaceful non-public manner.

I don't mind cigarettes....but the fact that second hand smoke can cause cancer...it bothers me. I think if pot was legal they should have hash bars like in amersterdam.

I think smoking cigarettes should be banned from most bars. It should be treated like pot...have it's own "smoking" bars. It shouldn't be up to the individual smoking to subject me to smoke. The same way I feel about pot....there should be place you go to smoke it....not smoke where you feel like cigarettes are.

E
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

yeti wrote:My former cop neighbor had this to say on the matter.

It pays to deal. It pays to be a corrupt cop. It pays NOT to be a corrupt cop, but to have a job simply because of drug related crime. It pays various gov't agencies to "combat" the "problem" (some of which only exist BECAUSE of illeagal drugs). It pays to be a doctor treating addicts.

In one way or another, it all pays. Ultimately, someone loses.... but that is life and true of all virtuall human endeavor.

Think about it - does the DEA **really** want the "drug problem" to vanish? Not if said agency wants to continue to exist.
But wouldn't a tax on these drugs create more money for the gov't....not sure if this would be true.

Your friend (and CAPBOY) have excellent points
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

yeti wrote: Why are drug illegal?
Ironic that Weed is illegal, not because it is a narcotic, rather, it was an inexpensive alternative to cotton.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

CAPBOY wrote:
Ironic that Weed is illegal, not because it is a narcotic, rather, it was an inexpensive alternative to cotton.
Can you elaborate? I haven't learned what you speak of. :D
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

yeti wrote:My former cop neighbor had this to say on the matter.

Funny, my brother the former NYC cop said exactly the same thing.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
CAPBOY wrote:
Do some research on hemp fiber.
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

CAPBOY wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
CAPBOY wrote:
Marijuana is still grown legally for exactly that purpose, HEMP rope. Of course, it is very restricted.

Shut up and Ski!

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

CAPBOY wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
CAPBOY wrote:
Marijuana is still grown legally for exactly that purpose, HEMP rope. Of course, it is very restricted.

Shut up and Ski!