Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: sunday 1/14 report

Post by Mister Moose »

20240114_150758.jpg
20240114_150758.jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
Afternoon powder squall and chocolate appears when you brush off your windshield.

Thanks Killington!
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

Bubba wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 15:35 Meanwhile, this afternoon we had a snow squall that (at least over here near Pico) had to be at the rate of at least 4 -5" per hour. Total whiteout; couldn't even see the house across the road. Unfortunately, it only lasted about 30-40 minutes.
Yep. Seemed like it was about 3" at Killington, and it came down quick. Made for a great power hour of freshies. But it took me 1:20 to drive back to Pico...
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

simpletwist wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 19:30
Bubba wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 15:35 Meanwhile, this afternoon we had a snow squall that (at least over here near Pico) had to be at the rate of at least 4 -5" per hour. Total whiteout; couldn't even see the house across the road. Unfortunately, it only lasted about 30-40 minutes.
Yep. Seemed like it was about 3" at Killington, and it came down quick. Made for a great power hour of freshies. But it took me 1:20 to drive back to Pico...
yikes an 1:20 to pico. accidents?
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I stopped but my crew kept going. Last hour and a half apparently were exceptional due to the squall. Nine and Eleven declared late day Juanita ROTD.

Patrol still owes an explanation why the Fiddle was closed. If an old man can ski it…
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 19:57 Nine and Eleven declared late day Juanita ROTD.

Patrol still owes an explanation why the Fiddle was closed. If an old man can ski it…
Everywhere was ROTD at 2:45 pm.

This old man, he skied Fiddle
He skied it right down the middle
With a knick knack powder attack
Ski around the stone
This old man went skiing home
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: :D

1:15 - 4:20 shift. Lots of Good Eastern Technical Skiing [GETS] and some pow to boot.

Upper Wildfire warmup [had to do it as my wife told me SA had skied it!] OK [GETS]. Firmer as you went down but definitely skiable. Anti Venom OK and Lower Skye nothing special right down the middle.

Snow Squall starts. I guess it's Middle Dream Maker [start of park]? OK, with a bit of fresh snow. Debated at the right hand turn whether or not to bail but stuck with it. OK rest of the way down. Back over to Lower Skye where I found right side to be pretty good. Up OL chair and over the back to SR.

ROTD runner up: Jug -> Breakaway. Good 3" down by now. Upper Jug very good right with a bit of scratch. Squall subsided so great viz for Breakaway with no one else on it. Shot Score ! Wife really liked Pipe Dream.

ROTD: Escapade -> Flume. Guessing it was Rogman's kids I saw/heard whooping it up in Juanita as I went by. Escapade was near perfect. Flume was just as good but I did break through the crust one time unexpectedly. No blood, no foul.

At Snowdon, skied Upper Royal -> Conclusion, North Star, Royal Flush - All good [GETS with some fresh snow to help]. No real line at bubble by that time.

Final run Jug -> Breakaway -> Bear Cub great, though not as good as earlier.

Guns going on Downdraft and Timberline.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Bumper

Post by 180 »

North Ridge will be back tomorrow.
Needles, Poma is scouring the world looking for parts.
Late day runs the best with the few inches refresh, beautiful sunset with Pico lit up at 4pm
Bad accident on the access road made for a long happy hour in the lodge, great band and football!
Attachments
PXL_20240114_211250579.jpg
PXL_20240114_211250579.jpg (372.33 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

skiadikt wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 19:41
simpletwist wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 19:30
yikes an 1:20 to pico. accidents?
I surprisingly didn't see any accidents but another posted mentioned there was one? Would make sense. I was parked at K1 and was very slow going funneling everybody down with nobody directing traffic from what I could tell.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Left Bear parking lot at 4:20 or so. Expensive Range Rover in the ditch/snowbank at start of Bear Access road. Looked like he sideswiped a guard rail on his way into getting stuck there.

Across E. Mtn road we went in search of North Star Lodge HH. Two car accident just before High Ridge condos with passenger in the sedan stuck in his car [but didn't appear badly injured]. Lots of response vehicles there but no real impact to traffic.

As we got to the golf course saw long Conga Line of car headlights backed up all the way up to K1 lodge [and beyond for sure]. Line of cars trying to get onto access road in front of us. So took back roads across to fire station. On our way there, saw another conga line of stopped traffic coming up the access road. Looked like the accident was near Pickle / Wobbly.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

I had to pick something up from the market and saw the cars so pulled into free rider for a brew. Nice fellas in there.