sunday 1/14 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

sunday 1/14 report

Post by skiadikt »

safe at home. yikes that got scary. guessing the biggest crowd of the season and ahem, ahem, not the best conditions. an overcast, blustery morning.

surfaces were generally very firm. snowdon quickly chunked up. but they got churned up everywhere. LEF edgeable but very fast. bear seemed to have the better conditions. claw through the pit and lower burst skied well. upper burst was ok, but the other side of the tunnel was a cat on glass. wouldn't call an au naturel upper wildfire good, but derived perverse pleasure holding my line in those bumps. lower fire was ok. cruise similar - chunks on a firm surface. old supe strangely almost seemed like it had been groomed recently. not much in the way of bumpage. mid-supe skied well. low road more crusty bumps.

by 10:30 between the crowds, liftlines and uninspiring skiing, time to go. not having the NRQ and needles quad caused lines to be longer than normal. only place to hide was the canyon and we took a pass on that. the SRQ kept being delayed but not sure there was much bang there. mtn dealt a terrible hand on one of the biggest weekends of the year and this after taking a hit xmas week.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: sunday 1/14 report

Post by SPORE »

Mikey and Tait - someone tell the lifty’s at the bottom of Skyeship that with the Needles quad down, it’s even more important to send up an empty gondola every so often.

You know - common sense.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

SPORE wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 12:39 Mikey and Tait - someone tell the lifty’s at the bottom of Skyeship that with the Needles quad down, it’s even more important to send up an empty gondola every so often.

You know - common sense.
we saw the line and opted for the chair to nowhere. did hear they were sending up every other cabin empty. maybe they weren't.
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

skiadikt wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 12:43
SPORE wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 12:39 Mikey and Tait - someone tell the lifty’s at the bottom of Skyeship that with the Needles quad down, it’s even more important to send up an empty gondola every so often.

You know - common sense.
we saw the line and opted for the chair to nowhere. did hear they were sending up every other cabin empty. maybe they weren't.
They weren’t and the lifty at stage 2 said it was too busy at Stage 1.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Yikes, what a CF - out at the bell, got our hour plus in and called it when crowds arrived! Ice marbles surfaced quickly!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

yes crowds arrived early today. maybe they're figuring out 10:30 isn't the best time to arrive. usually the sundays on the 3-day weekend are the most crowded days. doubled down because of yesterday's mess.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Watching remotely today. This doesn't look good?
Screenshot_20240114_113313_Killington.jpg
Screenshot_20240114_113313_Killington.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

hillbangin wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 13:59 Watching remotely today. This doesn't look good?

not sure what that's about.

on the website they say the cam is down. guess it's working on the app.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Out at eight; I was with nine and eleven (TSFKA10), Apres All Star a bit further back wrangling with four. A minor snafu with my pass and they were gone. Didn’t see them again until they needed lunch. Whatever. they ski better than me, know the mountain better than me, and are generous with the skinny on where to go. They’re like little secret agents, scouring the mountain for the goods. Yes, they have adult supervision.

First run down Skyeburst was a bit slick, lower Wildfire was better. Bear Claw/Lower Skyeburst were also good. Overall, there was a lot of death cookies. KBL was bedlam.
Lines at SS and at the bubble.

SS headwall was a dull ski death slide; a surprising adrenaline rush I wasn’t expecting. I made a couple of turns for appearance sake, but I don’t think anyone was fooled. Over in the Canyon, lower Cascade was no better.

South Ridge Quad shook off the cobwebs and cranked up. Finally. Breakaway good. Pipe Dream should have been skied in but wasn’t (closed yesterday) so it was much tougher. Found some nice snow on skiers right, though.
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

They need to go back to a reservation system.
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

We need another pandemic that actually works.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Dude GFY wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 15:01 We need another pandemic that actually works.
I liked the part where everyone kept 6 feet away from me.
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

rogman wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 15:05
Dude GFY wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 15:01 We need another pandemic that actually works.
I liked the part where everyone kept 6 feet away from me.
Yes. This! Empty chairs...empty trails. Glorious days!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Meanwhile, this afternoon we had a snow squall that (at least over here near Pico) had to be at the rate of at least 4 -5" per hour. Total whiteout; couldn't even see the house across the road. Unfortunately, it only lasted about 30-40 minutes.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

skiadikt wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 14:14
hillbangin wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 13:59 Watching remotely today. This doesn't look good?

not sure what that's about.

on the website they say the cam is down. guess it's working on the app.
The wind damaged the lift.