Thursday, Jan 18 ….

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Thursday, Jan 18 ….

Post by MrsG »

Sorry, cannot let a day go by without a report - conditions from Sup to Bear were soft snow and enjoyable - another short day due to MrG’s struggle - longer today, but not going to push it!
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Re: Thursday, Jan 18 ….

Post by KingsFourMan »

MrsG wrote: Jan 18th, '24, 20:23 Sorry, cannot let a day go by without a report - conditions from Sup to Bear were soft snow and enjoyable - another short day due to MrG’s struggle - longer today, but not going to push it!
Thanks MrsG, did you see any snowmaking on anything new?
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

KingsFourMan wrote: Jan 18th, '24, 21:15
MrsG wrote: Jan 18th, '24, 20:23 Sorry, cannot let a day go by without a report - conditions from Sup to Bear were soft snow and enjoyable - another short day due to MrG’s struggle - longer today, but not going to push it!
Spot guns on lower Great Eastern …. don't recall anywhere else! Maybe in the K1 to Rams area.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

MrsG wrote: Jan 19th, '24, 07:30
Spot guns on lower Great Eastern …. don't recall anywhere else! Maybe in the K1 to Rams area.
Wow, in years past, they would have had multiple trails lit up during a cold snap like this in mid to late January especially signature trails like Out Limits, Devils Fiddle, Double Dipper and others. The snowmaking effort seems to be getting less and less Beastly every year now. Something is definitely going on, probably a combination of factors.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

KingsFourMan wrote: Jan 19th, '24, 08:19
Wow, in years past, they would have had multiple trails lit up during a cold snap like this in mid to late January especially signature trails like Out Limits, Devils Fiddle, Double Dipper and others. The snowmaking effort seems to be getting less and less Beastly every year now. Something is definitely going on, probably a combination of factors.
It is much worse this year than any previous season I can recall.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Jan 19th, '24, 08:27
It is much worse this year than any previous season I can recall.
Agreed
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

When I checked the webcams yesterday, they were also working on Timberline, Swirl, and Bear Cub.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

yeah I saw that as well. I assume they were blowing all the way down to the load of sunrise chair? That's a fairly long run if so.

It still seems like they're behind and not putting in as much effort as previous years but still getting it done. They do seem to be letting them run longer on slopes to get a deeper base down. the exception being GE down to Skyeship which they painted to get that base area open and then returned to quickly to deepen the base.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
CRR321
Beginner On Rentals

Post by CRR321 »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Jan 19th, '24, 10:42 yeah I saw that as well. I assume they were blowing all the way down to the load of sunrise chair? That's a fairly long run if so.
Correct assumption
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

OL lit up today...
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Been plenty of snowmaking oddities this year but they've had a lot lit up this week: Downdraft, Timberline, Swirl, Lower GE, Bear Cub, Sun Dog. Cross some of those off by now and they're on OL and soon to be L. Double Dipper and Dreammaker.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

What after those? Think they hit fiddle or vertigo? Not that I care my crap recovery from ACL tear keeps me largely out of the steeper bumps these days. It’s nice to see Ma’ nature help out these last few weeks.
Ski It If You Can!..
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Vertigo should be dead last until the Needle's chair is fixed. I'd like to see Header, Upper Chute to Great Bear, Pipe Dream, and Upper Wildfire next.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Those would be the ones I would do.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

snoloco wrote: Jan 19th, '24, 16:22 Vertigo should be dead last until the Needle's chair is fixed. I'd like to see Header, Upper Chute to Great Bear, Pipe Dream, and Upper Wildfire next.
Good to see you're finally off of the Conclusion needs to be blown kick !

Thanx for starting the thread Mrs. G - I had a bunch of errands to do so did not go out. Your's was the only "report" in this thread.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!