Friday, 01/19/2024 Report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Friday, 01/19/2024 Report

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report:

Before I go into the K report, why the "F" didn't they run the Outpost chair at Pico today? All 58 trails open, in the middle of winter, and 4 of 7 lifts running. WTF. I woulda gone there if that chair was running.

Started at Bear. Warmup Dream Maker: HW decent and the "park" stretch [Middle DM?] very good. Up the Bear quad and down to Needle's Eye, through Snowshed, and through the tunnel to Rams Head to get to the other side. Oh, that's right, not running South Ridge lift.

Cruise Control in great shape.

Twister very good, though quite icy in places at the start. Definitely better further down where it widens out. Run back to Snowdon through Scarecrow/Tin Man good as well.

At Snowdon, Upper Bunny still great. Conclusion still fun also. Then ROTD: Low Rider. Conditions vary a lot depending on where you go.

Ridge Run good. Downdraft ["groomed", as much as you can groom that cold of recently blown snow] was OK. Lower section was the best and then variable where it meets up with the other "DD". Wife liked Cascade.

Jug -> Breakaway very good. Pipe Dream excellent. Interesting run down Bear Cub with mixed up whoop-de-doos, kickers, and flat light - really needs to be groomed flat before the Ikon invasion tomorrow.

Cold yet fun day. HH at North Star Lodge.

Get ready to bundle up next two days.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Spyderman
Bumper

Re: Friday, 01/19/2024 Report

Post by Spyderman »

9am start at Bear Quad. Pushed off chair to 2.5” of lite dry snow over perfect groom on Bear Claw. Floated down to Lower Wildfire. Glorious smooth descent. Second verse…same as the first. Had to get to work but friends stayed 2 hours more. Smiles on faces galore!

Tomorrow gentlemen will be a FLJS Alert Day! Aka Fur Lined Jock Strap Alert Day at K!
Don’t laugh layer up!
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Why didn't they run outpost? I doubt there was any reason besides $$$.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Did anyone else think it was quiet for a Friday?

Temps for tomorrow aren't that bad, about zero, but if you get the 20 mph wind added to it (NNW) it will feel like 20 below. RH quad might be the coldest lift on the mountain tomorrow, with the possible exception of SR if they run it.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

agree cap, outpost should run on fridays. in excusable. but when we're there for skibum thursday, it nevers runs. and you can easily access those trails. we've gone there, made 1st trax and then made more trax next time down. having no lift has it's benefits, admittedly with a little more work.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

skiadikt wrote: Jan 19th, '24, 22:13 agree cap, outpost should run on fridays. in excusable. but when we're there for skibum thursday, it nevers runs. and you can easily access those trails. we've gone there, made 1st trax and then made more trax next time down. having no lift has it's benefits, admittedly with a little more work.
Yes. Easily accessible. Then BS runout.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 19th, '24, 22:55
skiadikt wrote: Jan 19th, '24, 22:13 agree cap, outpost should run on fridays. in excusable. but when we're there for skibum thursday, it nevers runs. and you can easily access those trails. we've gone there, made 1st trax and then made more trax next time down. having no lift has it's benefits, admittedly with a little more work.
Yes. Easily accessible. Then BS runout.
I can't tell you how many times I've skied that BS run out with a smile on my face.
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

I’m almost positive Outpost has not run this year. So there is that.
makemoreturns
Beginner On Rentals

Post by makemoreturns »

All lifts at Okemo ran. You should check it out sometime.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

daytripper wrote: Jan 19th, '24, 21:20 Why didn't they run outpost? I doubt there was any reason besides $$$.
Yep Take the $$ . . don't provide the experience . . Sounds about right
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"