saturday 1/20 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: saturday 1/20 report

Post by hillbangin »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Sounds like a bunch of folks went on the back country tour today.

On 1/20/2024, at approximately 1430 hours the Killington Police Department was notified of 7-9 lost skiers/snowboardes in the backcountry.
Killington officers spoke with VSP SAR Coordinator Drew Clymer and through investigation it was determined there were a total of 21 lost individuals, 6 of which juveniles.
The decision was made to activate KSAR, who responded with 12 members.
Team members hiked, snowshoed and skinned approximately 5 miles, in frigid temperatures to assist in evaluating and bringing those lost back to safety.
Once out of the woods, those rescued warmed up in Killington Fire Departments Heavy Rescue truck and team members personal vehicles as they awaited their rides.
As the team was ready to clear, an additional call came in for 2 more skiers who were lost in the backcountry. 6 KSAR team members returned to the woods and made contact with and walked them out to safety at approximately 1930 hours.
A special thanks should be given to all the volunteers who responded and worked this call.
Killington Fire / Rescue, Killington Resort Ski Patrol, Rescue Inc. and State PSAP/ Dispatch assisted and were important partners with this complex call.
They should all go to jail.

22 of them and not 1 could figure out how to get to Wheelerville?

Darwin Award for sure...

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Post by Eddytheyetti »

Heard a rumor there was a killington resort instructor leading the group of kids. Can anybody verify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Eddytheyetti wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 04:08 Heard a rumor there was a killington resort instructor leading the group of kids. Can anybody verify?
Seems extremely unlikely, particularly in this weather. Professionals leading groups have a tough job and take their responsibilities very seriously. This sort of rumor mongering unfairly maligns a group that don’t deserve it.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

hillbangin wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 00:53
Guy in Shorts wrote:Sounds like a bunch of folks went on the back country tour today.

On 1/20/2024, at approximately 1430 hours the Killington Police Department was notified of 7-9 lost skiers/snowboardes in the backcountry.
Killington officers spoke with VSP SAR Coordinator Drew Clymer and through investigation it was determined there were a total of 21 lost individuals, 6 of which juveniles.
Team members hiked, snowshoed and skinned approximately 5 miles, in frigid temperatures to assist in evaluating and bringing those lost back to safety.
Once out of the woods, those rescued warmed up in Killington Fire Departments Heavy Rescue truck and team members personal vehicles as they awaited their rides.
As the team was ready to clear, an additional call came in for 2 more skiers who were lost in the backcountry. 6 KSAR team members returned to the woods and made contact with and walked them out to safety at approximately 1930 hours.
A special thanks should be given to all the volunteers who responded and worked this call.
Killington Fire / Rescue, Killington Resort Ski Patrol, Rescue Inc. and State PSAP/ Dispatch assisted and were important partners with this complex call.

Darwin Award for sure...

Here are some of the group doing the "Walk Of Shame" down to Wheelerville
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

The frigid temps clearly have an effect on decision making. Saw this gem infront of forerunner.
IMG_1241.jpeg
IMG_1241.jpeg (480.74 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Ski It If You Can!..
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

ski wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 08:33
hillbangin wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 00:53

Darwin Award for sure...

Here are some of the group doing the "Walk Of Shame" down to Wheelerville
Maybe Killington will use their picture recognition system that they used on the poachers to pull their passes.

Children services should have been waiting for these genius parents to come out of the woods and interview them about their decision making.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Wind not too bad. Very few peeps out there as well. O.L chair still only loading two per chair [why?] and stopping 3 times or so each ride up. Agree with Mrs. G re: weird viz; in many places it was hard to tell if you were on glare ice or packed pow with the swirling snow.

Bear Claw -> Burst mostly decent except for the occasional glare ice that you couldn't see. Top half of the Pit still a hockey rink. Lower Burst pretty good. Dream Maker HW OK [not making snow on it], Northway with a few guns, and Lower Dream Maker excellent [no guns].

Thimble -> Needle's Eye decent; Thimble still a mix of pow bumps and ice. Could find wind refreshed snow on Needle's though not consistent. Best of the bunch was Stitchline with Lower Stich excellent.

Eastern Technical skiing on Middle Ovation. Very firm in many places. Lower Supe pretty good I thought.

Pipe Dream mostly very good. Seemed to be best right down the middle then Lower flatter pitch was excellent. Bear Cub runout to Bear [not running SR] improved over past coupla days.

ROTD: O.L. Extremely icy getting off the chair for the first few feet. Then, even icier at the very start of O.L. where it is right next to the Fiddle rope. Then the snow gun goodness the rest of the way down. Only downside was the few places where they had the tripod air hogs going in place of the towers; very challenging viz in some of the those places especially at the bottom. Best snow gun snow I've seen all year.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

wtf021 wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 09:03 Maybe Killington will use their picture recognition system that they used on the poachers to pull their passes.

Children services should have been waiting for these genius parents to come out of the woods and interview them about their decision making.
I assumed they all bought day passes and was wondering how many upgraded to Fast Tracks?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

wtf021 wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 09:03
Maybe Killington will use their picture recognition system that they used on the poachers to pull their passes.

yup pull their passes. irresponsible.

you wanna go on an off-piste adventure, first of all, do your research, so you know where you're going. and do it later in the season when there's more room for error. the sun is out later and temps are warmer. zero degrees and dark by 5pm isn't one of those unless you're really prepared.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Why should they have passed pulled? Leaving the ski area is not against the rules. It's pretty damn stupid if you don't know what your doing especially on one of the coldest days of the year but the state forest is open for anybody to use. Now charging them for the rescue I can get behind but absolutely not losing your pass. Next thing you know passes would be getting pulled for going to coops.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

daytripper wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 09:33 Why should they have passed pulled? Leaving the ski area is not against the rules. It's pretty damn stupid if you don't know what your doing especially on one of the coldest days of the year but the state forest is open for anybody to use. Now charging them for the rescue I can get behind but absolutely not losing your pass. Next thing you know passes would be getting pulled for going to coops.
the idea of charging for rescues "i believe" was shot down because they felt people would be less likely to ask for help if they knew they were going to have to pay for it (not sure that's something folks necessarily think about when leaving and especially need help but nontheless).

so what else is there? sure leave the ski area all you want but not in a way that then puts rescue workers at risk. if you do, then there has to be consequences. just when they thought they were done, 2 more reported missing and 6 KSAR folks had to back in at 7:30.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

skiadikt wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 09:58
daytripper wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 09:33 Why should they have passed pulled? Leaving the ski area is not against the rules. It's pretty damn stupid if you don't know what your doing especially on one of the coldest days of the year but the state forest is open for anybody to use. Now charging them for the rescue I can get behind but absolutely not losing your pass. Next thing you know passes would be getting pulled for going to coops.
the idea of charging for rescues "i believe" was shot down because they felt people would be less likely to ask for help if they knew they were going to have to pay for it (not sure that's something folks necessarily think about when leaving and especially need help but nontheless).

so what else is there? sure leave the ski area all you want but not in a way that then puts rescue workers at risk. if you do, then there has to be consequences. just when they thought they were done, 2 more reported missing and 6 KSAR folks had to back in at 7:30.
So you would be ok with losing your pass for going to coops? What about somebody that knows what they are doing taking a run down to wheelervile rd losing their pass? I understand having to deter the fools from doing it but honestly the ksar people know when they join that they will have to go out in these conditions so I can't really feel bad for them.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

daytripper wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 11:06
skiadikt wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 09:58

So you would be ok with losing your pass for going to coops? What about somebody that knows what they are doing taking a run down to wheelervile rd losing their pass? I understand having to deter the fools from doing it but honestly the ksar people know when they join that they will have to go out in these conditions so I can't really feel bad for them.
of course not. please read what i said again - "leave the ski area all you want but not in a way that then puts rescue workers at risk". but if you need to engage a dozen ksar, then there needs to be consequences. shouldn't be a "free ride". either ksar bills you (which apparently they don't) or the mtn needs to do something.

folks can commute to and hang at coop's all they want but if you make that left when leaving and need to be rescued, then it's on you.
Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

saturday 1/20 report

Post by Eddytheyetti »

rogman wrote:
Eddytheyetti wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 04:08 Heard a rumor there was a killington resort instructor leading the group of kids. Can anybody verify?
Seems extremely unlikely, particularly in this weather. Professionals leading groups have a tough job and take their responsibilities very seriously. This sort of rumor mongering unfairly maligns a group that don’t deserve it.
Heard it from parents with kids in the voyager program. But still so unbelievable I came here for confirmation.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

I agree. You leave the resort, you take your safety into your own hands and you're no longer the responsibility of the resort. There are people who venture into that backcountry area fully prepared and with a car waiting down on the other side, or with the gear needed to hike back up. That sort of adventure shouldn't be banned.

But for government services to be used to save people from their own stupidity? There should be a penalty for that. Whether that's fines or service charges or both, they should have to pay something.
Eddytheyetti wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 11:56 Heard it from parents with kids in the voyager program. But still so unbelievable I came here for confirmation.
Never trust the Killington rumor mill.