sunday 1/21 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

sunday 1/21 report

Post by skiadikt »

so people can start complaining about mike & tait, here's your sunday morning lift delays:

Lift Alerts:
South Ridge Quad on hold, time estimate 9:30 a.m.
Skyeship Stage II on wind hold, no time estimate.

and oh btw:

okemo - The Evergreen Summit Express and the Sunburst Six will start the day on wind hold as our teams work to clear the line and get it ready.
stratton - The Gondola and Snow Bowl Express are on a wind delay, updates coming soon!
mount snow - Winds are affecting lifts this morning. Grand Summit Express and Challenger are on wind hold. Bluebird Express will be delayed.
stowe - forerunner quad, mansfield gondola and sensation quad are on hold.
sunday river - Due to high winds, the Quantum Leap Triple, Chondola, Spruce Peak Triple, and Aurora Quad will start the morning on wind hold.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: sunday 1/21 report

Post by Bubba »

Oh…Bolton canceled lessons (at least for kids) today because of cold and wind.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Dang cold out there … Mother Nature controls it all - not much you can do about that! The struggle getting around lifts on hold is a true challenge! Nice to have the sun out, but does not help the wind. Think yesterday’s debacle caused a lot to sleep in this morning - it was empty! Snowshed quad was open - suprised as it was posted closed due to wind and double would run in it's place. Sup lift caused the “block the wind with your arm/helmet on the bar.” Gateway to Bear to Skyburst very nice with some surprises of scoured spots - had to definitely pay attention. Avoided the SPE, and took Bear Quad! OL looked the best I've seen in a long time and skiers/riders were floating down what appeared to look like the driest blowing snow without too much effort! Bummed to have to pass on it! Headed down to Rt 4 so could take Skyship to defrost frozen goggles - out at mid-station to “chair to nowhere” where the wind picked up, noticed Snowshed stopped and learned it was going down for wind! Wind strong enough on Northbrook, would not be surprised if that goes on hold too! Final run along the woods to shuttle was nice to end the chilly morning! Be safe out there!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Bubba wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 10:24 Oh…Bolton canceled lessons (at least for kids) today because of cold and wind.
haven't checked on other areas but at K, it's gotten worse and kudos mrs g for braving it. after yesterday, my new plan is to steal 180's heated vest and "try" to follow him. on the other hand, no one can actually "follow" him :lol: :lol: .

Snowshed Express Quad on hold, Snowshed Double will run in its place.
Skyeship Stage II and Superstar on wind hold, no time estimate.
Canyon Quad on hold, time estimate 11:00 a.m.

snowshed quad and supe did run for a while. canyon is turning. in general, very light w empty chairs on both the NR and SPQ. 20+ min wait on the K1 and 10-20 on the bubble as enclosed lifts are the preferred mode.

just another in a streak of bad weekends for the mtn which can't help the cause. if it was a tuesday, wouldn't matter.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

skiadikt wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 11:10
Bubba wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 10:24 Oh…Bolton canceled lessons (at least for kids) today because of cold and wind.
haven't checked on other areas but at K, it's gotten worse and kudos mrs g for braving it. after yesterday, my new plan is to steal 180's heated vest and "try" to follow him. on the other hand, no one can actually "follow" him :lol: :lol: .

Snowshed Express Quad on hold, Snowshed Double will run in its place.
Skyeship Stage II and Superstar on wind hold, no time estimate.
Canyon Quad on hold, time estimate 11:00 a.m.

snowshed quad and supe did run for a while. canyon is turning. in general, very light w empty chairs on both the NR and SPQ. 20+ min wait on the K1 and 10-20 on the bubble as enclosed lifts are the preferred mode.

just another in a streak of bad weekends for the mtn which can't help the cause. if it was a tuesday, wouldn't matter.
I only know about Bolton because one of our grandkids is in their lesson program.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
GreenMtMan
Green Skidder

Post by GreenMtMan »

2 words....Outer Limits, repeat, repeat, repeat. I have never done so many laps in a row on that trail. The man made snow they made was unbelievable!
Let It Snow!
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

At Loon, no lift issues. Cold and windy though. Went to see the Ice Castle in Woodstock NH last night which was nice. Going to try Cannon tomorrow.
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

skiadikt wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 08:08 so people can start complaining about mike & tait, here's your sunday morning lift delays:

Lift Alerts:
South Ridge Quad on hold, time estimate 9:30 a.m.
Skyeship Stage II on wind hold, no time estimate.

and oh btw:

okemo - The Evergreen Summit Express and the Sunburst Six will start the day on wind hold as our teams work to clear the line and get it ready.
stratton - The Gondola and Snow Bowl Express are on a wind delay, updates coming soon!
mount snow - Winds are affecting lifts this morning. Grand Summit Express and Challenger are on wind hold. Bluebird Express will be delayed.
stowe - forerunner quad, mansfield gondola and sensation quad are on hold.
sunday river - Due to high winds, the Quantum Leap Triple, Chondola, Spruce Peak Triple, and Aurora Quad will start the morning on wind hold.

I’m curious - does Tait let you be the big spoon sometimes or are you always the little spoon?

So….

Snowshed Quad down for a maintenance issue from 10am to at least 2:30 on Sunday. Multiple lift sleds at the top terminal.

Stage 2 on a questionable wind hold all day, despite loaded gondolas on the K1 swaying in the wind more than empty gondolas on the stage 2 line from noon on. Oh and 3 lift sleds parked by the stage 2 maze with mechanics up and down the ladder on the lower stage 2 terminal. Yep - definitely a wind issue. :roll:

Bubble mechanical issue on Saturday. Needles Quad down all weekend again due to a mechanical issue. Canyon Quad mechanical issues as well. Nothing to see here, everything is being maintained properly.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Bear and OL. Superb.

The wind and the temperatures slowed us a bit, but still made it out just a bit after the 8 o’clock start. Nine and Eleven made a beeline for OL and I gamely followed. NGL, the first 50 feet were an icy sh*tshow, but I found my footing for the rest of the run. The frigid temps made for outstanding snow pouring from the towers making turning effortless and easy.

Second run our fearless underage leaders selected the Fiddle, at that point only accessible via OL express. It still isn’t right. Lot of chunks. If they’d opened it when they should’ve it would have been skied in and fine. It’s okay, but it will take a warm up to sort out.

Third run: DM Headwall to DM. A bit chalky, but Okay. Lower was its groomed chatter board of the last few weeks. Glad they’re making snow on it tonight.

Cold. Went in for an hour or so. Dealt with the trash. Picked up the delivery’s, which included some clear lenses for my googles. All of a sudden I could see. Went back out, lapped an exceptional OL. (Guns now off) and then decided I needed to ride the south fridge. Sentimental chance to relive freezing my butt off? IDK, but when I cleared the crest of the Jug I was hit with a cold dose of windy reality. Of course it stopped for several minutes. It’s tradition! But south ridge in the sun is its own slice of Heaven. Too damn cold to be Hell. Good stuff, great day. Nice work.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

SPORE wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 20:23 I’m curious - does Tait let you be the big spoon sometimes or are you always the little spoon?
Great. Kzone’s had a shortage of homophobic a-holes in Humpty’s absence. Thanks for stepping into the breach. :roll:
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Started at Ramshead at 8, and did 8 runs there. Header 3x, Timberline 2x, Swirl, Easy Street and Caper 1x each. Everything was in good condition, but the wind on the lift was brutal. Tried the bubble for a run on Full House to Highline, but it was running at half speed due to wind and getting really backed up. Was going to take the K1, but the line was even longer, so I went in the lodge for a short break to warm up.

After coming out, tried to go up Superstar, but it was on wind hold. Instead of walking back to the gondola against the now gale force wind, I bailed out to Snowshed and took the shuttle over to Bear. Once at Bear, one lap on Upper Skyeburst to Lower Wildfire, and 2 on OL. Then went in for lunch.

After lunch, 2 more laps on OL, then a run on Bearly, Gateway to Bear Claw, and then down Gateway to Bear Cub to South Ridge. South Ridge 3x for Breakaway, Jug Handle, and Home Run to North Ridge. North Ridge Quad 5x, for Rime, Reason, Upper Ridge Run, and Lower Catwalk, and High Traverse back to South Ridge and down Jug Handle. Up South Ridge again for a repeat on Breakaway, and down Bear Cub to Sundog. Sunrise lift 2x for Rendezvous and Bear View to Bear Cub to the base for another short break.

After the break, up the Skye Peak Express, down Great Eastern, to Home Stretch, and back to Great Eastern. Up Skyeship for another run, this time on Skyewalker, crossover, Great Eastern, and Touch Down. Up Skyeship again, then down Bittersweet to High Road to Snowshed Slope and through the tunnel to Ramshead to end the day.

A good day despite all the wind holds. OL was the best I've ever skied it.
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

rogman wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 20:43
SPORE wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 20:23 I’m curious - does Tait let you be the big spoon sometimes or are you always the little spoon?
Great. Kzone’s had a shortage of homophobic a-holes in Humpty’s absence. Thanks for stepping into the breach. :roll:

Hilarious - how is this a homophobic comment? Find something else to be offended by.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Mechanics at the terminals during a wind hold or coming out of a wind hold are not necessarily indicative of mechanical issues. Especially on early generation detachables. A lot has to happen with the cadence in the terminals and high winds can throw that all off.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

SPORE wrote:
rogman wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 20:43

Hilarious - how is this a homophobic comment? Find something else to be offended by.
Humpty is still in the closet. Hardly homophobic.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

newpylong1 wrote: Jan 21st, '24, 22:00 Mechanics at the terminals during a wind hold or coming out of a wind hold are not necessarily indicative of mechanical issues. Especially on early generation detachables. A lot has to happen with the cadence in the terminals and high winds can throw that all off.
There's pretty much always a lift maintenance presence at Skyeship anyways.