Killington Backcountry Rescues Sat. Jan 20- 23 Skiers & boarders rescued

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Killington Backcountry Rescues Sat. Jan 20- 23 Skiers & boarders rescued

Post by GlacierBoy »

KZone is behind on reporting breaking news and insider scoop ! Why are we reading about this in the Associates Press wire?!

Sounds like a sh&%show and circus back there! Thanks to the Killington Ski Patrol and Killington SAR. Thankfully, SAR is back and reconstituted after management issues in last year

Pictures of the rescued included in the link

https://nypost.com/2024/01/21/news/23-l ... n-vermont/

23 lost skiers and snowboarders rescued in frigid temperatures in Killington, Vermont

By Associated Press
Published Jan. 21, 2024, 9:17 p.m. ET

KILLINGTON, Vt. — Twenty-three skiers and snowboarders had to be rescued in frigid temperatures on Saturday after becoming lost in the backcountry in Killington, Vermont, police said.

After a call came in around 2:30 p.m., search and rescue crews hiked, snowshoed and used skis with skins to travel about 5 miles to bring a group of 21 lost skiers and riders back to safety, Killington police posted on Facebook.

Temperatures were in the single digits.

The skiers and snowboarders warmed up in rescuers’ vehicles on their return.

Then another call came for two more lost skiers.

Six rescuers went back into the woods, found them and walked them out to safety at around 7:30 p.m., police said.

Rescuers included members of Killington Search and Rescue and the Killington Resort Ski Patrol.

A special thanks should be given to all the volunteers who responded and worked this call,” the police department posted.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Re: Killington Backcountry Rescues Sat. Jan 20- 23 Skiers & boarders rescued

Post by BoozeTan »

Where did they leave the resort? The usual coppers cabin stupidity or somewhere else?
HelmetCam
Postaholic

Post by HelmetCam »

GlacierBoy wrote: Jan 22nd, '24, 00:33 KZone is behind on reporting breaking news and insider scoop ! Why are we reading about this in the Associates Press wire?!
GIS had the scoop on Saturday...
Guy in Shorts wrote: Jan 20th, '24, 22:16 Sounds like a bunch of folks went on the back country tour today.
Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Post by Eddytheyetti »

Confirmed that there was a group of the killington Woodward kids that were part of the rescue. There must be more to the story on why they were out there or where they thought they were. I can’t imagine an instructor, or really anybody that knows the mountain missing coops.

Anybody ever make it out off of the power line that parallels killink? Sometimes I see tracks going hard right there. That seems like a more plausible place that kids wondered out.

Glad everybody made it home, and that with all the f*** with KSAR we still have a great people ready to mobilize and on the coldest night of the year and go find them. Hopefully this doesn’t result in the mountain locking down more unmarked terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Looks like the old you tube videos of coops to Wheelerville are not there anymore?

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

The people left the resort off of GN just before Killink. Can't imagine what their plan was . . If anyone here has ever looked at topo map of that zone you would know that that departure point leads to unskiable flats. The heralded "good stuff" back there ( and yes, I have been back there with proper gear many times) is no where near GN or Coops.
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

KZone didn't miss it as it was mentioned in several other threads.

Adults who led this trek should be billed for the cost of their rescue and, considering the temps were near or below zero, they ought to be charged with endangering the welfare of minors.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

As long as they got that sweet sweet pow I’m sure it was worth it! Get at it!!!
Ron Paul 2012
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

So duck a rope on a closed in bounds trail and you lose your pass.

Duck a rope and go out of bounds and trigger a rescue operation with no consequences.

Yeah, this makes sense.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

from the Rutland Herald . . Looks like dipping OOB may be a pass-pulling offense . Now I'm going to be afraid to go side-country from the resort . .

Lame ass shlt
According to a statement released on Monday by Kristel Killary, brand marketing and communications manager at Killington Ski Resort, the skiers and snowboarders went under a rope and left the resort’s boundary in violation of the resort’s policies.

“We would like to thank our Ski Patrol, all of the volunteers, and first responders who responded on Saturday,” reads the statement. “Safety of our staff and guests is our number one priority at Killington. As such, the Skier Responsibility Code is posted around the resort as well as on our website, and states that all skiers and riders must ‘Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.’”

She stated in a separate email that the resort is considering pulling some people’s skiing passes, but that decision hasn’t been made.

She confirmed that an employee of the resort was in the lost party, and has been terminated.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Most ski resorts have designated gates where you can enter the backcountry. You can't just go out of bounds wherever you want. These people should have their passes taken. They put themselves and their rescuers in danger because they ducked ropes to go out of bounds. That's a flagrant violation of the rules at any ski resort and is against state law. This is the exact type of situation for which pulling passes is justified. They should also be fined. The exception is the kids in the lesson. They didn't know any better and just followed their instructor.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

Didn't one of the new Mountain Safety Officers get fired from KMS a few years ago for taking students out of bounds?
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

This is what happens when you legalize pot.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

snoloco wrote: Jan 23rd, '24, 13:39 Most ski resorts have designated gates where you can enter the backcountry. You can't just go out of bounds wherever you want. These people should have their passes taken. They put themselves and their rescuers in danger because they ducked ropes to go out of bounds. That's a flagrant violation of the rules at any ski resort and is against state law. This is the exact type of situation for which pulling passes is justified. They should also be fined. The exception is the kids in the lesson. They didn't know any better and just followed their instructor.
OK . . . So where are the gates at Killington? I know they don't exist now, but where should they? If at all . .?
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

refresh my memory, its been a while, you don't cross a rope to go to COOPs, right? the rope is at COOPs I recall.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs