Saturday Jan 27 2024- southridge really closed ?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Saturday Jan 27 2024- southridge really closed ?

Post by Pedro »

daytripper wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 19:39
Downdraft wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 19:12
daytripper wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 16:47
fdskier56 wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 16:39 Hi downdraft-

I bought a condo here 12 years ago.
I’m kinda stuck with Killington.

But a big thank you to Killington for getting south ridge open on a Saturday!
You can't really fault downdraft, it's got to be difficult being so much better than everybody else and knowing everything. It really pains him that everybody else is so stupid.
I mean, yeah. The more I read comments on here the more I realize the .01% of the general public represented on this form are entitled morons that will never be happy. I’m Just greatfull that my life is not as horrible as most of you people on here. It’s like a group of the worst Karen’s in the HOA all complaining about the wrong shade of paint on the neighbors house. You also all probably stand up on a plane as soon as it lands.
Yeah, I wish I was as cool as you.
I am the guy who always has to pee before the captain turns off the seat belt sign during take off.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

fdskier56 wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 16:51 Serious question about the App-

Lifts with no gates-
Northbrook
Canyon
South and north ridge

Are the app lift line times accurate on these lifts?

I was at bear this morning and was afraid to go to Northbrook to get out of there. I figure all the people getting off of skyeship stage 1, all the people skiing down from superstar and snowshed, and all the people skiing from bear would make Northbrook a sh*t show.

But the app showed 0 to 2 minute lift lines all morning at northbrook.

Was anyone at northbrook this morning between 9-11?
How long was the line?
Was it really 0-2 minutes??
App ? ? Really Beast Fan ? Are you expecting accurate info on that piece of crap ?
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

Downdraft wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 13:54 No one here has any idea what it takes to de-ice lift equipment. You just assume and complain. I mean, none of you know anything about running a ski area in the slightest.

My question to everyone here is, why are you still skiing Killington if you hate it and complain so much? There are many other options. I don’t get that. Do you just come on here to complain to the other 12 people and that makes you feel better? Very odd.
Says the Nyberg wanna be that wants to shut down skyeship and further shrink the big K. Some of us have worked in the industry and in my case operate heavy machinery every day, and are acutely aware of icings impact especially for detachable lifts. I’d venture to guess most of us are heavily invested in K, and appreciate the daily info the mountain often fails to provide. I certainly don’t fault K for what we drove up to this morning. We dipped over to a very empty Pico and didn’t wait in a line at all, with some decent conditions considering.
Ski It If You Can!..
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Pedro wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 20:05
I am the guy who always has to pee before the captain turns off the seat belt sign during take off.
Yeah, and you always took the window seat and I was in the aisle seat next to you. :roll:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

Pico is of course Pico but there were at least 5 tour busses in the lot and the remote lots out by route 4 were in use in addition to all the normal creative parking as usual. I went up the access road at 4 and was sort of surprised to see cars parked halfway down the road between Rams head and the look out. Lots of peeps visiting our happy home this weekend.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

You should always expect a crowd on a Saturday. It's also why they should have been prepared to open all the lifts on-time. They hadn't even started de-icing the Skye Peak Express or Stage 2 when I skied past them around 9.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

Downdraft wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 19:12
daytripper wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 16:47
fdskier56 wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 16:39 Hi downdraft-

I bought a condo here 12 years ago.
I’m kinda stuck with Killington.

But a big thank you to Killington for getting south ridge open on a Saturday!
You can't really fault downdraft, it's got to be difficult being so much better than everybody else and knowing everything. It really pains him that everybody else is so stupid.
I mean, yeah. The more I read comments on here the more I realize the .01% of the general public represented on this form are entitled morons that will never be happy. I’m Just greatfull that my life is not as horrible as most of you people on here. It’s like a group of the worst Karen’s in the HOA all complaining about the wrong shade of paint on the neighbors house. You also all probably stand up on a plane as soon as it lands.
People complaining about traffic fail to realize that they *are* the traffic.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Thank God for snowmobiles. You'd have to hit me with a subpoena to get me anywhere near Killington on a Saturday. I just hope they sold a lot of $16 beers.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

snoloco wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 21:54 You should always expect a crowd on a Saturday. It's also why they should have been prepared to open all the lifts on-time. They hadn't even started de-icing the Skye Peak Express or Stage 2 when I skied past them around 9.
Was the frozen precip still falling when they opened? No sense it de icing a lift at midnight if it is going to re freeze before first chair. Save your time off days and ski when conditions are good. Mother nature doesn't care if you have Saturday and Sunday off. hint: Midweek is best if you don't want to stand in line.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Out at noon. Parked at Bear since bloodshed was a mess.

Rockstar parking and no lift lines.

South ridge to cascade. Worst I have seen it this season

Guess I should have brought the race skis.

Yard sale under the north ridge chair. First one of the year. Vis was awful. LEF not good.

Headed back to bear with was softer for a few.

Bear bar run of the day.

Great pickle happy with SBF, Tricks and Whiteout.

Super Hat Party at The Black and Blues with Borgy and crew.

Looking forward to the playoff parties. Skiing not so much.
IMG_0761.jpeg
IMG_0761.jpeg (614.04 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
borgy
Slalom Racer

Post by borgy »

Great Hat Party at B&B. Glad you survived your Yard sale Rusty. Gonna head out for a few runs with the Mrs. 😀
1918 lives
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Figure I might as well chip in and get the average "Ski Report" posts to at least one per screen !

Afternoon Report: Right up there with worst day of the season, and I missed most of the earlier morning sh*t Show. Blah, Blah, Blah about how difficult lift de-icing is; I'm with Snoloco on this one. Last coupla weeks have been constant lift problems and it's not an ice storm every day. Not running the "7:30 Bear Chair" on time is BS. Not running / loading Skye Peak lift until 12:00. Daily running Stage I and making peeps get off to the Northbrook chair, etc. etc. Then there was the visibility, or lack thereof. Bluebird skies in the afternoon starting at the top of the South Ridge Chair; then mostly fog as you skied down, especially on the South Side. Skiing conditions sucked top 2/3 of the mountain; best snow was down low where it was warmer [similar to past coupla days, very good last 10% of Snowdon. Thank goodness for Happy Hour !

Saving grace was my wife forgetting her helmet so saved ourself from 2 more runs going back to get it.

Bear Chair to South Ridge start. Watched 3 people fall out of chair, then the yahoos ahead of me had the lift stop again as they were commenting on the herbs that fell out and then tried to get on with 5 people [not paying attention]. Cascade warmup was horrible. Like skiing on a glass shower door. And I had the "race skis" on. LEF more passable.

North Ridge flat and fast. Beach sand and Chunky Monkey below, on way to Snowday was better.Lower Chute OK.

Supe Pod OK. Lots of carnage on Preston's Pitch. Not too bad right side ridge.

Needle's Eye trails better with Lower Cruise being one of the best things we found. Still decent size liftline at 3:30 there.

ROTD: Skyewalker -> Great Eastern -> Bearly. First time for me giving Bearly ROTD honors.

Side Note: They opened O.L. about 2:00; watching from the chair looked somewhat OK at the bottom and icier as we rode up to where the "rope drop" masses were really struggling.

Can't fault K for the trail conditions what with the extent of moisture in the snow and thaw freeze cycles on most of the mountain.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Grmmtnhkr34
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

snoloco wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 21:54 You should always expect a crowd on a Saturday. It's also why they should have been prepared to open all the lifts on-time. They hadn't even started de-icing the Skye Peak Express or Stage 2 when I skied past them around 9.
It takes every mechanic on the mountain at least 2 hours to deice a lift with an ice event on this magnitude. Okemo where I work went thru the same thing. All upper mtn detaches closed to start the day and all but the evergreen open by the end. In the middle there were 35 minute lines on the black ridge and sachem.