Saturday Jan 27 2024- southridge really closed ?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Saturday Jan 27 2024- southridge really closed ?

Post by fdskier56 »

Saturday Saturday Saturday….
to quote Elton John.

So as of 6pm Friday, both the app and website show Southridge quad is closed on Saturday.

all other lifts are scheduled
(Except snowshed double and Needles Eye Quad…any official updates lol ?)

Didn’t Killington announce southridge would run more midweek? Now it’s closed on a Saturday?

With all the lift issues of late, you’d think el Presidente Mike S would set the record straight. Personally, I’d rather hear about the lifts instead of his last comments about cameras in the trees….

Here’s to a great Saturday on the hill !
(Sure would be better if we can use south ridge lift)
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Saturday Jan 27 2024- southridge really closed ?

Post by fdskier56 »

Oh and Intel request-

I haven’t skied a Saturday since December ..

Should needles area be avoided tomorrow?
Are they sending every other cabin up empty from
Rt 4?

We love lapping needles eye quad

Is the stage 2 lift line going to be slowest line ever tomorrow ?

Anyone recommend the northbook to superstar routine?
Is that faster than waiting for a cabin at stage 2?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

wow no south ridge on a saturday. that's BS. indeed it should be open especially as a bone for needles being closed. the only out i can give them is temps are dropping below freezing tonight and with all the water those trails took on, they're gonna suck. even though the report now lists them as open, wouldn't be surprised if they close them tomorrow. many of the nats in bear are listed as closed. nonetheless the lift should run if only to serve as an interconnect from bear to the front. total BS.

regarding needles, any skiing you do there, should be done early (by 9:30-10). after that, the skyeship wait can be long. if it's more than 10-12 min then northbrook>supe is the better alternative to do laps. sometimes we'd rather take the 2 chairs than shuffling in a slow moving line. and if there's a long line at rt 4, no guarantee they're gonna send up empty cabins. the other option to do laps is in the late afternoon. and of course, there's always the question if it runs at all.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

To be fair, south ridge will likely be a brickyard tomorrow.
To be honest, however, it is an essential means of getting around the mountain.

All the closing does is prove that management doesn’t understand their own mountain and how the people who love it ski it.
Fluffhead
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Fluffhead »

That’s it! The issue is that they don’t understand the mountain. Hopefully the grumpy old KZoners can educate them and all of the weather issues will go away.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I don't care if every trail on south ridge is closed, on a Saturday I should be able to ski from the top of the bear quad, to south ridge and avoid the shelp from superstar to k1. Especially since they already aren't running needles, if they don't run south ridge tomorrow that's two lifts budgeted to be running tomorrow that won't be. Certainly can't call it closed for exposure tomorrow.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

daytripper wrote: Jan 26th, '24, 19:15 I don't care if every trail on south ridge is closed, on a Saturday I should be able to ski from the top of the bear quad, to south ridge and avoid the shelp from superstar to k1. Especially since they already aren't running needles, if they don't run south ridge tomorrow that's two lifts budgeted to be running tomorrow that won't be. Certainly can't call it closed for exposure tomorrow.
This. But what can we do? Mike’s got to make his numbers, POWDR investors got to get their check. Been 15 years. Isn’t it time for the big payout? They didn’t sign up for flood losses and lift repairs. This was supposed to be easy money…
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Maybe the lift is still iced over and they did not have time to get it going. Did it get above freezing in the upper elevations today?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

rogman wrote: Jan 26th, '24, 19:26
daytripper wrote: Jan 26th, '24, 19:15 I don't care if every trail on south ridge is closed, on a Saturday I should be able to ski from the top of the bear quad, to south ridge and avoid the shelp from superstar to k1. Especially since they already aren't running needles, if they don't run south ridge tomorrow that's two lifts budgeted to be running tomorrow that won't be. Certainly can't call it closed for exposure tomorrow.
This. But what can we do? Mike’s got to make his numbers, POWDR investors got to get their check. Been 15 years. Isn’t it time for the big payout? They didn’t sign up for flood losses and lift repairs. This was supposed to be easy money…
A good finance guy should be able to cover a $2m revenue shortfall.

Either poor planning or P&L management if you can’t cover a $2M top line shortfall.
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

Groomers tomorrow. Early bird/worm
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

Lots of delays due to icing

Bear quad started loading at 810

Wondering if MTs ever run lifts overnight when icing expected…
Would running haul rope on low speed prevent icing?
Maybe easier on lifts where cabins/chairs go into the barn..

Really just spitballing here…
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Pretty much everything was closed to start the day. They didn't take the chairs off or creep the cable on the Skye Peak Express so it probably won't be open for many hours.
CRR321
Beginner On Rentals

Post by CRR321 »

Agreed.

But budget cuts, a hiring freeze, and being short staffed (lift Ops)= no southridge.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Showing South Ridge Quad as "On Hold".

Better than "Closed" ?
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Snow report says south ridge on hold, so (at least by this morning) it was scheduled to run today.