What did you do this past weekend?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

Gosh, Nancie...I hope he feels better! :(

Bob, that's terrible about your wife. What a way to screw up the ACL. I hope she is back in business by ski season. Good luck to you both w/the recovery.

Sprite
I like wine.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

snowsprite wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:Made enough chicken jerky to last the rest of the month.
Sounds good BigK, how do you make this?

Sprite
It's actually very easy. Whole point behind jerky is getting rid of all the moisture in the meat so you don't cook it per se, you "dry" it.
That usually means placing thin strips of meat in the oven at low temp (160 degrees) for anywhere from 8 to 12 hours.

Basic procedure is to slice up the meat into thin strips (1/4" thick max - 1/8" if you can do it is better), with the grain. Remove all visible fat. and Then cook them for a minute in a boiling marinade (yesterday was either 50/50 water/teriyaki or 50/50 water/lemon-pepper). Doesn't really cook the chicken but does kill any bacteria. For beef you can probably skip the boiling step and just marinate the meat to taste

Then place the strips on a wireframe rack and pop 'em in the oven. When done it should be firm and dry but not brittle.

Figure 3 pounds of meat will yield about a pound, maybe less of jerky, that's high in protein and very low in fat content.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

Thanks, gotta try this!

Sprite
BigKahuna13 wrote: It's actually very easy. Whole point behind jerky is getting rid of all the moisture in the meat so you don't cook it per se, you "dry" it.
That usually means placing thin strips of meat in the oven at low temp (160 degrees) for anywhere from 8 to 12 hours.

Basic procedure is to slice up the meat into thin strips (1/4" thick max - 1/8" if you can do it is better), with the grain. Remove all visible fat. and Then cook them for a minute in a boiling marinade (yesterday was either 50/50 water/teriyaki or 50/50 water/lemon-pepper). Doesn't really cook the chicken but does kill any bacteria. For beef you can probably skip the boiling step and just marinate the meat to taste

Then place the strips on a wireframe rack and pop 'em in the oven. When done it should be firm and dry but not brittle.

Figure 3 pounds of meat will yield about a pound, maybe less of jerky, that's high in protein and very low in fat content.
I like wine.
borgy
Slalom Racer

Post by borgy »

1918 lives
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

LINYbob wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
So sorry to hear about your wife's injury. Hopefully it is not too bad and it can be repaired. Keep us updated on her status.
One nice thing about KZone - its a great medical resource too. I'm printing out lots of threads related to MtnMan's ACL injury to show to my wife so she'll know what she's in for this summer. It sounds like it's not going to be too much fun.
Sorry to hear about that. TGR has a great Gimp forum. That's where I'm keeping my history of the whole ordeal including the injury, pre op PT, surgery, and post op PT.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... ge=1&pp=25

Tyrone also has a great thread on his ACL ordeal too, it helped me understand what I was about to go through.

One thing to keep in mind, you don't HAVE to get the surgery, you can rehab the muscles around the knee. It all depends on your level of activity and willingness for rehab. This is an option that you have to talk to your ortho about. There's also a totally new technique that only a few docs are doing on the West coast where they drill tiny holes in the tib/fib and the ACL actually rebuilds itself, but you have to have a specific type of tear. Lots less rehab and less invasive. Again, another thread in the Gimp forum.

Good luck!

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Weekend spent in San Fran after bidness during the week, Fisherman's Wharf. Then hit about 6 different wineries in Napa to do tastings, I was feeling good by 6pm :wink: Flew back yesterday afternoon from SFO with HEAVY bags (5 bottles of wine and......port 8) )

I wanna go back, the heat and humidity royally sucks here. I had low 60s while out there :cry:

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Mtn Man wrote:Weekend spent in San Fran after bidness during the week, Fisherman's Wharf. Then hit about 6 different wineries in Napa to do tastings, I was feeling good by 6pm :wink: Flew back yesterday afternoon from SFO with HEAVY bags (5 bottles of wine and......port 8) )

I wanna go back, the heat and humidity royally sucks here. I had low 60s while out there :cry:

B)
Any "souvenirs" from Height/Ashbury?
ImageImageImageImage
KrisSkis
Black Carver

Post by KrisSkis »

Sorry to hear about your wife Bob...hope shes up and better soon. As for me, saturday just hung around the house and went in the pool with the kids and did a few thingts around the house. Was trying to not get too tired as i had to work all night on saturday night. Didnt work...i was still tired :lol: Got home sunday morning, slept from 8 am to 12:30 pm...got up showered and went to a BBQ for my sons Lacrosse team at wantagh park...had a cold alcoholic beverage in my hand 2 hours later. Played lacrosse with the kids, a few games of dodgeball...kids kicked the adults asses...had a huge ice cream cake for the end of season and for my sons (PowderKid68) 12th birthday which is today. Came home from BBq...went in pool to cool off and was back in bed at 10pm....
To hell with Utah...send the snow here :-)
LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

Mtn Man wrote:
Sorry to hear about that. TGR has a great Gimp forum. That's where I'm keeping my history of the whole ordeal including the injury, pre op PT, surgery, and post op PT.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... ge=1&pp=25

Tyrone also has a great thread on his ACL ordeal too, it helped me understand what I was about to go through.

One thing to keep in mind, you don't HAVE to get the surgery, you can rehab the muscles around the knee. It all depends on your level of activity and willingness for rehab. This is an option that you have to talk to your ortho about. There's also a totally new technique that only a few docs are doing on the West coast where they drill tiny holes in the tib/fib and the ACL actually rebuilds itself, but you have to have a specific type of tear. Lots less rehab and less invasive. Again, another thread in the Gimp forum.

Good luck!

B)
Thanks MtnMan. Great thread you pointed me to over at TGR. We'll consider everything you said and try to make the right decisions. She's going to go through a lot of pain like you did, and I'm going to have to be Mom and Dad at the same time to two little kids and take care of her too. It's going to be a challenging summer!

By the way - after we got back from the hospital and got my wife settled, I showed the kids how to do the Pogo stick. They're not heavy enough to bounce it, but I did it and it was fun. I hadn't done it in ages, but it came back to me and I had a blast on it. Now they want to get older so they can do it.
Ballzout
Bumper

Post by Ballzout »

Woke up at noon Saturday in Mt. Vernonat at girl-friend's house. She had two of her girl-friends from Florida visiting for the weekend. Called another girl-friend who had my truck keys from the bar the night before (I was a jack-ass and left them when I split with the other 3). My truck is in Fells Point. My friend with the keys was in Annapolis. Luckily another girl-friend called at that moment and wanted to hang out. I said "sure, I'm at ___'s house. come and get me". She took me back to my house. 4 hours later, Annapolis girl shows up with my keys. And we go back to Fells Point. Chilled. Sunday I went wakeboarding for the first time this season. I'm pretty sore today.
2021-2022 season total days: 18

Killington, VT: 2
Ski Roundtop, PA: 3..........Ski Whitetail, PA: 5............Ski Liberty, PA: 3
Jack Frost, PA: 0.......... Okemo, VT: 2............Stowe, VT: 3
Hey Jude
Black Carver

Post by Hey Jude »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:Sunday I had to go to a bridal shower on Staten Island, a mere 57 mile ride from my house. How long do you think that takes? Try 3 1/2 hours! Sat in the trenches for over an hour and a half because they were doing Sunday road work, oh, wait, what road work? They had all the lanes closed backing up traffic for miles, but there was only one crew doing any work! Bless all of you who live and work in Manhattan and the boroughs and have to drive around out there.

I could have driven to Vermont in the time it took me to go to Staten Island, hay caramba!
Did you take the Throgs Neck coming from Connecticut. That construction has been going on for a while. I got stuck in it one Sunday coming back from K - it added something like 45 minutes to my drive back.
I'm pretty sure we took the Triborough Bridge, so no problems there....where we had the problem, was in Brooklyn we hit dead stopped traffic. What was really bad was I KNEW there had to be another way to go, like through Brooklyn, but I don't know the area well enough to get off and avoid the backup. It was so frustrating to see the Verranzano Bridge but not be able to get there!
Girly, tough is not enough!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

DRBallzout wrote:Woke up at noon Saturday in Mt. Vernonat at girl-friend's house. She had two of her girl-friends from Florida visiting for the weekend. Called another girl-friend who had my truck keys from the bar the night before (I was a jack-ass and left them when I split with the other 3). My truck is in Fells Point. My friend with the keys was in Annapolis. Luckily another girl-friend called at that moment and wanted to hang out. I said "sure, I'm at ___'s house. come and get me". She took me back to my house. 4 hours later, Annapolis girl shows up with my keys. And we go back to Fells Point. Chilled. Sunday I went wakeboarding for the first time this season. I'm pretty sore today.
That sounds like a recipe for a great time...one girlfriend, 3 of her girlfriends... What happened? Sounds like you need lessons...
ImageImageImageImage
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

Learned command line SQL commands. :cry:
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Stormchaser wrote:
DRBallzout wrote:Woke up at noon Saturday in Mt. Vernonat at girl-friend's house. She had two of her girl-friends from Florida visiting for the weekend. Called another girl-friend who had my truck keys from the bar the night before (I was a jack-ass and left them when I split with the other 3). My truck is in Fells Point. My friend with the keys was in Annapolis. Luckily another girl-friend called at that moment and wanted to hang out. I said "sure, I'm at ___'s house. come and get me". She took me back to my house. 4 hours later, Annapolis girl shows up with my keys. And we go back to Fells Point. Chilled. Sunday I went wakeboarding for the first time this season. I'm pretty sore today.
That sounds like a recipe for a great time...one girlfriend, 3 of her girlfriends... What happened? Sounds like you need lessons...
Chilled and wakeboarding are slang down south for other relations......
Girlfriend took me back to my house and pretty sore the next day.....that's self explanatory

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Hey Jude wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:Sunday I had to go to a bridal shower on Staten Island, a mere 57 mile ride from my house. How long do you think that takes? Try 3 1/2 hours! Sat in the trenches for over an hour and a half because they were doing Sunday road work, oh, wait, what road work? They had all the lanes closed backing up traffic for miles, but there was only one crew doing any work! Bless all of you who live and work in Manhattan and the boroughs and have to drive around out there.

I could have driven to Vermont in the time it took me to go to Staten Island, hay caramba!
Did you take the Throgs Neck coming from Connecticut. That construction has been going on for a while. I got stuck in it one Sunday coming back from K - it added something like 45 minutes to my drive back.
I'm pretty sure we took the Triborough Bridge, so no problems there....where we had the problem, was in Brooklyn we hit dead stopped traffic. What was really bad was I KNEW there had to be another way to go, like through Brooklyn, but I don't know the area well enough to get off and avoid the backup. It was so frustrating to see the Verranzano Bridge but not be able to get there!
The other way to go is Throgs Neck Bridge -> Cross Island Parkway south -> Belt Parkway -> Verrazano Bridge - but that way is no picnic either - the Belt Parkway can get really bogged down at times too. You must have been on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway if you were coming from the Triborough. Now you can understand why it takes us 2 hours most of the time just to get out of the city.