monday 1/29 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

monday 1/29 report

Post by skiadikt »

well that was fun. not ... as the season of our discontent rolls on. think today was the poorest viz i've experienced all season. heavy, dense fog and freezing "something" that required frequent goggle scrapes. missed the open but the new snow was nice if you could see it. skied a couple at bear and a couple at needles. skied well but couldn't tell you what runs because i couldn't see them. stayed off anything ungroomed because i wouldn't have seen the bumps. didn't bother w the other side which i heard was worse. decided to live and ski another day.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
RustyK
Whipping Post

Re: monday 1/29 report

Post by RustyK »

K1 at the bell with Tele Rich. LEF sides was 10 pow turns of 4 inches that never felt so good. Yes. Vis and freezing fog a factor, but much better than the last three days.

Met up with the rest of the 802 to skyship. Lots of decent low angle woods that were now doable. If you were the first, it was nice. Louder as the peeps got thru.

Downdraft not a do over. Over at the bubble with SND, Low Rider, Patsies etc doable. At least there are some woods again. They look better than they really are.
IMG_0772.jpeg
IMG_0772.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1022 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Best thing about today? GHOST TOWN at K. Some powder runs in the am and Wildfire, Nortstar and Conclusion were 4-5" on top of slicker ice moguls. Good times. Flume was good.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Snow great, viz awful. Stuck it out for a while until the freezing mist on my goggles made it to hard to see. Alternatives? Couldn’t ski at higher elevations because NR4 down. Couldn’t ski at lower because Needles down. Skyeship base was considered, headed for the barn instead.
Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Bayfive »

Rogman , call it a day and head down to the angler for some lunch
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Sounds like we had better viz than morning shift; only real issue was from top of Snowdon up. Had to laugh at the K report stating 5" new snow [OK, yep] and still snowing with free refills through the day [NOT]. The new snow certainly helped the groomers but did little to change the underlying 'surface' on the ungroomed. Have to be very careful as there are frozen ski tracks and general solid/rough/icy patches everywhere. And be cautious when someone like RustyK tells you "the woods are back in play" then follows it up with "but they are loud".

Warmup Upper Royal Flush mixed bag of ice and pow [common theme here, and it's a low angle slope] -> Conclusion very icy but skiable [GETS]. LEF actually pretty good on the sides. Canyon Chair running !

Upper Jug same as Upper Royal. Lower Breakaway terrible; almost got my leg pulled off in a buried frozen in ski track even though I was watching for it. Exit onto way Lower Pipe Dream vabiable with mix of pow and rough ice. Bear Cub fine. Wife like Shorty -> Claw option to get to Bear.

Stash / Stash Woods very good though snowmakers getting ready to light her up. Calling Upper Wildfire ROTD; they must have groomed it, partly at least, a few days ago as most of the icy bumps were gone / much smaller. Lower Wildfire OK as well. Stash -> Dream Maker also one of the better runs of the day. Then Stash -> DM -> Home Stretch really good down to Rte 4.

Bittersweet decent including the old "pitch". Mid Supe good and Lower Skyelark OK with ungroomed small, widely spaced moguls in play [slide and slam in many cases].

Back at Snowdon just had to duck into the woods after Rusty's earlier recommendation, so into Low Rider - Very icy, as expected. After a bit I just told my self it is what it is and just go and ski it; better run after that!
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!