Crime

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Crime

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Killington_Lover wrote: Feb 2nd, '24, 12:19 Don’t try to guess where I get my news, I spend as much if not more time on liberal leaning news such as NPR and CNN. It’s funny that until Gov of Texas started bussing migrants the left’s head in the sand narrative that “the border is secure” shifted to “we have a crisis” when every day Americans in blue states can now see it around them, and directly impacting state budgets. 9.5m encounters during Bidens presidency sure sounds like an invasion to me.

And don’t be obtuse- when I said house won’t touch it, I implied the majority party.
So help me out here. There are two (2) things you said above:

1 - They (I assume you mean Democrats) are trying to tie Ukraine and Israel funding (to the border bill).

2 - I’m not surprised the house (I assume you mean GOP house reps since they're the majority) won’t touch it.

What did you use as a source to reach the above assertions? They're not accurate or at minimum ignore nuances around each.

Where did you get 9.5m border encounters? Here's the CBP data: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/nati ... encounters The math doesn't check out and I even included both borders to see if I could get to 9.5m. No doubt the border is an issue that needs solving, independent of what the encounters data shows.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 1st, '24, 22:34
deadheadskier wrote: Feb 1st, '24, 13:57 You guys are Fox News casualties and suckers for the fear they sell.

The fact that an asshole like Trump is actually beating that bumbling, senile, old fool and that cackling idiot Kamala, speaks volumes. Their approval rating is abysmal for good reason. Your liberal mass media, that you consume so easily without questioning, try as they might, can't hide the fact that their policies have been nothing short of a disaster.
Well you got that part right anyway. If you can support the worst criminal since Al Capone Your opinions are invalid.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

1. They being the senate, and I can understand it’s a give and take. Republicans don’t want to fund Ukraine, and increasingly I’m hearing progressives don’t want to fund Israel. Source? The rhetoric I hear from laymen on both sides. On NPR I hear many call ins complaining about the “genocide” and that Biden is losing support from millennials and Gen Z for supporting Netanyahu.

2. Here is a quote from Repub Sen Lankford via CNN - “Lankford also rejected characterizations that the deal would allow a flood of migrants to enter the US week, saying the restrictions are far more onerous, and he said that the border would be effectively shut down when illegal crossings reach a certain threshold.“

The way he characterizes “certain threshold” isn’t enough for hardline Reps in the house. I’m personally not against more funding for Ukraine and certainly Israel. I would like to see more accountability for what is sent to Ukraine to avoid any sort of corruption like was recently reported about a scheme that was foiled in Ukraine.

You are right that I cannot math. Just under 9m total encounters from CBPs site 2021-today.
Ski It If You Can!..
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Killington_Lover wrote: Feb 2nd, '24, 13:28 1. They being the senate, and I can understand it’s a give and take. Republicans don’t want to fund Ukraine, and increasingly I’m hearing progressives don’t want to fund Israel. Source? The rhetoric I hear from laymen on both sides. On NPR I hear many call ins complaining about the “genocide” and that Biden is losing support from millennials and Gen Z for supporting Netanyahu.

2. Here is a quote from Repub Sen Lankford via CNN - “Lankford also rejected characterizations that the deal would allow a flood of migrants to enter the US week, saying the restrictions are far more onerous, and he said that the border would be effectively shut down when illegal crossings reach a certain threshold.“

The way he characterizes “certain threshold” isn’t enough for hardline Reps in the house. I’m personally not against more funding for Ukraine and certainly Israel. I would like to see more accountability for what is sent to Ukraine to avoid any sort of corruption like was recently reported about a scheme that was foiled in Ukraine.

You are right that I cannot math. Just under 9m total encounters from CBPs site 2021-today.
1 - Republicans said they don't want to fund Ukraine without a bill on border security, which is why Ds worked with Rs on bi-partisan bill.

2 - The Senate is where the bi-partisan bill originated. It's simply not true that Republicans 'wouldn't touch it'. Even you offered a quote from Lankford contradicting your earlier position. Now House Rs said they won't touch the bi-partisan Senate, but only on the heels of being told by Trump to stand down ... this is why Crenshaw (R-TX) is saying it's "The height of stupidity".
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

I can actually remember way back when 40 years or so ago when CNN was actually a mostly nonpolitical, real news outlet. Now they are nothing but a far-left wing political outlet currently obsessed with Donald Trump. The difference between CNN and Fox News, other than the obvious far-left and far-right perspectives, is that Fox News doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is - a far right wing outlet. CNN on the other hand, like almost all other mass media outlets, pretends not to be what they really are. That is called manipulation.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

I'm only going to address the Crime topic here.

Killington Lover and Kings

I have presented data and as is so typical for Conservatives, if you don't like the facts or data, you throw them out as manipulated or present some sorta BS anecdotal story that proves absolutely nothing. That's why you have tens of millions of idiots in this country believing Trump that he won the last election with ZERO evidence.

All crime data is publicly available and managed by the FBI and other non-partisan agencies. If anything , those agencies skew more conservative than liberal. If NYT was manipulating data , you should be able to prove it. You can't and you won't.

I'll say it again, you can't and you won't prove the NYT is wrong on this.

Take the L. You both are 100% wrong about crime trends in this country. You are believing partisan lies with ZERO data to back up your views.

The saying goes it's easier to fool someone than convince them that they have been fooled. That would be you two in this discussion. Show some maturity and admit when you are wrong.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

G-smashed wrote: Feb 2nd, '24, 13:22
KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 1st, '24, 22:34
deadheadskier wrote: Feb 1st, '24, 13:57 You guys are Fox News casualties and suckers for the fear they sell.

The fact that an asshole like Trump is actually beating that bumbling, senile, old fool and that cackling idiot Kamala, speaks volumes. Their approval rating is abysmal for good reason. Your liberal mass media, that you consume so easily without questioning, try as they might, can't hide the fact that their policies have been nothing short of a disaster.
Well you got that part right anyway. If you can support the worst criminal since Al Capone Your opinions are invalid.
I've always hated that guy, long before ever became President. What's not to hate? But I loved his policies, most of them anyway, and it's a policy contest, not a beauty contest. Biden, Clinton, Kennedy and lot of other democratic presidents were far from saints.

I was once much more left leaning but went from being a registered democrat to registered republic in recent years. I liked moderate democrats and voted for Clinton twice and for Obama once but I have became so turned off by what the democratic party has become since and will never vote democratic ever again regardless of who is on the republican ticket.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

Neither of us argued that crime as a whole is on the rise- we pointed out instances where it is. Retail thefts in NY and violent crime in MA. If you want to say it is down vs 40 years ago fine, if you want to ignore the states own “facts” that is up year over year that’s your own goal post to move. And as I said before- 30 years ago I was a toddler, what relevance does the crime rate from then have to me in my now adult life?
Ski It If You Can!..
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

If you are only truly arguing that specific crime types in specific cities are a problem, that's fine and I'll apologize.

But the overall narrative that crime has been worsening (one of the biggest platform positions of your party of choice) is total garbage. Safety and security is light years better today than when you were a toddler. That's the relevance of that comment.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I can only really speak of NYC, and in the NYC area crime was definitely worse 40 years ago. The 70s and 80s were pretty bad. Then in the 90s things turned around. Crime in NYC wasn't much of an issue from the mid 90s thru the 2010s. Since covid things have taken a drastic turn for the worst. Maybe not as bad as the 70s and 80s but far worse than the 90s thru the 20 teens.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

daytripper wrote: Feb 2nd, '24, 15:21 I can only really speak of NYC, and in the NYC area crime was definitely worse 40 years ago. The 70s and 80s were pretty bad. Then in the 90s things turned around. Crime in NYC wasn't much of an issue from the mid 90s thru the 2010s. Since covid things have taken a drastic turn for the worst. Maybe not as bad as the 70s and 80s but far worse than the 90s thru the 20 teens.
This is opposite of my understanding. Where did you read that crime has 'taken a drastic turn for the worst' and 'far worse than the 90s thru the 20 teens'?

I didn't spend time trying to get 90s data, but here's the last ~20 year or so:

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downloa ... 0-2022.pdf
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I didn't read it, I lived it.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

daytripper wrote: Feb 2nd, '24, 16:15 I didn't read it, I lived it.
Anecdotal.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

You nutty libs can go ahead and spew your nonsensical drivel all you want. I've got better things to do right now like finish packing for a week at the Boat.

Will be landing in Denver tomorrow afternoon, having dinner and drinks with a few college buddies in Denver tomorrow night, hit Copper Mtn on Sunday with said college buddies, then up to the Boat with K4Woman for 5 more days of skiing in one and half to two and half FEET of fresh Steamboat pow. Then Back to Denver next Saturday for lunch with K4Kid1 who is in grad school at CU Denver before heading back home.

I just stopped by my computer to have a beer and watch the flakes start to fall on the Boat:

https://www.steamboat.com/the-mountain/live-cams

Let's pick a time next week that you guys can log into the webcam so I can moon you. :D
Attachments
IMG_7509.jpeg
IMG_7509.jpeg (458.56 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

It's effing puking champagne powder there....
Attachments
thank you God.jpg
thank you God.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 1178 times