Sunday, Feb 4th

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Sunday, Feb 4th

Post by MrsG »

Another bluebird day! Conditions excellent, and not one of the six lifts we rode stopped, and we rode some a couple times! Did not have to wait in one liftline. Crowds minimal early, but people started waking up and arriving. Did not want to push MrG's calf (which is much better btw) so headed out! Parking lots full but did not see parking on the road!

newpy, hope you had a blast with your son;)
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Sunday, Feb 4th

Post by skiadikt »

the bluebird flocks arrived en masse. the rime coated trees offset by the blue sky was definitely a foto opp. late arriving crowd but they did arrive though nothing like yesterday. bear pretty much full and skyeship lots bursting at the seams. 8-11:30 shift.

at the bell, bear runs skied very well as did cruise. didn't think panic/needles was as good. then a bunch of laps on supe. preferred the rope line on middle and then it was onto the rather large, deep bumps on preston. the snow was good and bumps soft. will call that rotd. for whatever reason, mid o was closed. looked like they may have run a groomer over some of the lower section as perhaps the snowmaking froze up. old supe closed as well.

in the canyon, escapade good and cascade flat and very fast. 2nd day groom helped downdraft though still rather firm. trap right good and lower chute sandy. full corral at the bubble sent us back to bear. pipedream was ok. firm bumps but enough snow. finished out w a trio on upper WF. good snow on the left edge and some bumps to play in. all-in-all a decent day made into a very good one by the weather.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Bluebird skies for a change. Beautiful views of the mountains in NH, pretty much all of VT as well as Canada, and the backlit Adirondaks this afternoon. To add to what SA posted, later in the day the rime disappeared from some of the trees ~3000 feet elevation revealing the ice coated branches underneath; beautiful in the full sun! Figured out that's why so many bent over trees.

Warmup Shorty -> Claw/Burst very good. Shorty OK on the right but I wouldn't want to get caught in the middle. Rest of the way down was fine with a bit of sun softening on the lower pitch.

Over the back and Jug -> Lower Pipe Dream. Jug very good and Pipe Dream not as soft as we had hoped, but still fun left side.

Escapade -> Cascade excellent again and worth a repeat.

ROTD: 2:30 opening of Highline. One of the best groomers I've seen all year after the racers got done with it. Do-over.

LEF better than average. Up canyon for one more South Ridge run; Upper Pipe Dream was sweet and ROTD contender down Breakaway with nicely softened left side. Lower Pipe Dream a bit softer than earlier as well.

Upper Pipe Dream -> Lower Cruise Control very good though it had just lost the full sunshine on it. Up the chair to nowhere to get to Supe.

O Headwall was open, with 3 guns on it, but I skipped it. Middle O and Old Supe both open. Old Supe to Supe proper very good. Excellent middle right on Middle Supe, then choose your line down Prestons. I opted for closer to the guns to avoid traffic. Not ROTD, but nice to see K putting on a good snowmaking show and finally some moguls on the mountain !

Closer Skyeburst -> Lower Wildfire also excellent.

Lots of options for high speed cruisers out there today with the mid winter conditions and Old Sol doint it's thing.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Crack o noon with the sunny lens. Yay

Trails mostly still flat and fast. woods a better option as there is something to grip onto.

Sup the only good run of the day due to snowmaking. Sup woods better due to the man made.

After 3 hours, just got tired of the noise.

Maybe the future spring conditions will make me smile.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Bumper

Post by 180 »

RustyK wrote: Feb 4th, '24, 22:37 Crack o noon with the sunny lens. Yay

Trails mostly still flat and fast. woods a better option as there is something to grip onto.

Sup the only good run of the day due to snowmaking. Sup woods better due to the man made.

After 3 hours, just got tired of the noise.

Maybe the future spring conditions will make me smile.
SUPE woods are fat!
noknees
Blue Chatterbox

Post by noknees »

Started out at bear and got front row parking at 8:30 over in the ski on/ski off section.....can't beat that. Outer Limits was not a do over but you guys missed out on Devils Fiddle. 11am and full sun...nice and soft. Lapped that many many times. Superstar was nice but always cleaning goggles. Best way around that of course is duck into the woods at Prestons...worth repeating a few times but no comp to Devils Fiddle. Skiers right is my fav trying to beat the snow balls rolling down the steeps while avoiding the huge rock faces. Did make it over to the Canyon but big dipper was too firm to enjoy.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

noknees wrote: Feb 5th, '24, 09:04 Started out at bear and got front row parking at 8:30 over in the ski on/ski off section.....can't beat that. Outer Limits was not a do over but you guys missed out on Devils Fiddle. 11am and full sun...nice and soft. Lapped that many many times. Superstar was nice but always cleaning goggles. Best way around that of course is duck into the woods at Prestons...worth repeating a few times but no comp to Devils Fiddle. Skiers right is my fav trying to beat the snow balls rolling down the steeps while avoiding the huge rock faces. Did make it over to the Canyon but big dipper was too firm to enjoy.
I thought about it !! Nice score.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!