tuesday 2/6 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

tuesday 2/6 report

Post by skiadikt »

can't get enough vitamin d. another perfect 10 of a day. light turnout. sadly had to leave early. 9-11:45 shift.

highline the usual groomed flat & fast at the bell. main snowdon line quite good. thought today was one of the better grooms of the season on LEF. perfect carving snow. best u can say about the groom on lower dipper was you could get an edge into it. quite firm.

for the 4th day running, the action was in the supe pod under the guns. many laps. both sides skied of supe great. early the bumps on prestons were pretty much buried. they got unburied quickly. lower lark also great. co-rotds. guns off on ovation. generally good. chalky with some slick spots.

claw/burst good and softening on lower. dream hw was ok. just had to keep an eye for some rocks. bummed no snowmaking (so far) this season. hope springs eternal. cruise good. and oh yeah, the south ridge was running!!!!!
spoiled South American skiin' whore
MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: tuesday 2/6 report

Post by MrsG »

South Ridge running today- bummer, we missed it! Beautiful day, great skiing - waves of groups, but no wait!
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Mohawk was similar, nice surface and vis lended to confident and consistent carving, sun starting to provide a bit of bite again.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid-day Sunday River report - Fantastic. 11:30 - 4:00 shift. Right up there for best day of season. Lifts at less than 10% capacity. Nowhere near as icy as at K. Lots of natural trails in play, all good, and had them to myself. Planning on a rare first chair start tomorrow for the "Roy".
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

I’ll throw a Cannon update on this also, since the view over to you guys at K was the best I’ve seen since early December (but Stowe was like an optical illusion, it looked so close I could have tossed a snowball at it). Most of the known gladed runs had sections of icy spots, but secret stuff still only held remains of my tracks from last week. Hardscabble sweet first thing, but even with limited traffic got icy on some steep spots late.

Couple cool things, someone stomped footprints of a giant “LOVE” in Echo lake, and someone went under the Peabody chair to untouched snow and made a couple snowangels (it’s a closed area because where you jump out to the trail would be dangerous merging, but the tracks they left you could see they were expert skiers).
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

skiadikt wrote: Feb 6th, '24, 13:04 . . . and oh yeah, the south ridge was running!!!!!
Is there any rhyme or reason for when the South Ridge lift is running during the week?

I've spent maybe 20 weekdays at Killington over the last 5 years, and have never figured it out.

Mostly, it isn't running. One time, on a Friday, it was running. This past Friday, the lift was moving, but it wasn't actually in service.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Word on the street is that they use rock, paper, scissors at the morning ops meeting...

...and it's Rime or Reason...geesh check a map!
ImageImageImageImage
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

"The South Ridge Quad is expected to operate on Thu. – Sun. and on Tuesdays over the next couple of weeks. "
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

It was discussed earlier how they were supposed to run the South Ridge Quad on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the days the Canyon Quad isn't running, in addition to the usual Friday-Sunday schedule. Budget cuts made at the beginning of January resulted in the schedule being reduced to only Saturday and Sunday. While this past weekend seems to have been good enough to reverse the budget cuts to the lift schedule, their choice to not to make snow at full capacity can't be undone.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Stormchaser wrote: Feb 7th, '24, 17:00 ...and it's Rime or Reason...geesh check a map!
took me a second to get it (only on my first cup of coffee), but then again I’d likely say I just skied down West Glade and gonna ride the triple back up.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

mdskiguy wrote: Feb 7th, '24, 16:52
skiadikt wrote: Feb 6th, '24, 13:04 . . . and oh yeah, the south ridge was running!!!!!
Is there any rhyme or reason for when the South Ridge lift is running during the week?

I've spent maybe 20 weekdays at Killington over the last 5 years, and have never figured it out.

Mostly, it isn't running. One time, on a Friday, it was running. This past Friday, the lift was moving, but it wasn't actually in service.

Good luck . . . . No $$$ No staff
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

mdskiguy wrote: Feb 7th, '24, 16:52 Mostly, it isn't running. One time, on a Friday, it was running. This past Friday, the lift was moving, but it wasn't actually in service.
That's what's known as the SRB tease. (South Ridge Bobby)
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

Stormchaser wrote: Feb 7th, '24, 17:00 Word on the street is that they use rock, paper, scissors at the morning ops meeting...

...and it's Rime or Reason...geesh check a map!
Ha ha . . . you know, as I typed it I saw the pun, and came to the conclusion that it as a verbal caper it was a bit of a low road for this snowboard.

Next time I'll know better . . . .
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 7th, '24, 17:56 "The South Ridge Quad is expected to operate on Thu. – Sun. and on Tuesdays over the next couple of weeks. "
I saw that! If I'd only waited a day to post. I'm considering a return trip in a few weeks. If I do, I'm going to hold them to it!
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

I rode south ridge on tues 2/6 and canyon was closed

I rode canyon Wed 2/7 and south ridge was closed