Sunday 2 11 24

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Re: Sunday 2 11 24

Post by wgo »

Figured it was something like that - thanks for the on the ground report.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report. Way better than expected. Mostly stayed on the South side and runs with whatever sun was out. 1:30 to 4:10 shift.

Warmup Claw / Burst ok. Viper pit quite good and Lower Burst had a bit of everything.

Stash and Dream Maker [incl Park and "Pipe] nicely softened and ROTD in various combinations.

Lower Cruise Control excellent [Stash -> Cruise one of our favorites].

WROTD: Bittersweet. Took it just to get to Supe Chair for entertainment. On Pres's Pitch, lineup of non-expert skiers/riders struggling in the right side bumps to avoid the billiard table!

Late day opening of Lower Wildfire excellent. Also took one on Upper Wildfire that was quite noisy.

One down to Rte 4 fine butt very thin cover down low. Valley Plunge closed contrary to the App info.

Decent session.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Post by wgo »

How late in the season will Killington make snow, weather permitting? Is there a point at which they stop making snow, even if it is cold enough to do so?
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

Captain Hafski wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 10:12
WROTD: Bittersweet. Took it just to get to Supe Chair for entertainment. On Pres's Pitch, lineup of non-expert skiers/riders struggling in the right side bumps to avoid the billiard table!
What is "Pres's Pitch"?
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

wgo wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 16:03 How late in the season will Killington make snow, weather permitting? Is there a point at which they stop making snow, even if it is cold enough to do so?
Expansion is usually done now give or take. They will continue to resurface as needed and they have made snow on the Superstar pod in early April before. They usually work on the glacier right into March.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

mdskiguy wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 16:12
What is "Pres's Pitch"?
Last pitch of Superstar.
wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Post by wgo »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 16:15 They will continue to resurface as needed.
That is mostly what I am wondering about. Making the trek from again from central Virginia the first week of March so I was wondering about their commitment to making snow as needed.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

What is "Pres's Pitch"?
Welcome to our insanity!

Preston's Pitch. It is the final steep pitch of Superstar. So named during the early years of the Woman's World Cup ski races after the founder of Killington Pres[ton] Leette Smith.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Captain Hafski wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 18:05
What is "Pres's Pitch"?
Welcome to our insanity!

Preston's Pitch. It is the final steep pitch of Superstar. So named during the early years of the Woman's World Cup ski races after the founder of Killington Pres[ton] Leette Smith.
yeah just something for the broadcasters to say to add more "color" to the broadcasts. prior never heard it referred to as preston's pitch prior to WC.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

What is "Pres's Pitch"?
Welcome to our insanity!

Apparently he has better pitch than we’ve realized
IMG_4734.jpeg
IMG_4734.jpeg (436.88 KiB) Viewed 480 times
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Sunday was less than good. Call it disappointing. Brought some family. For their first time at K. 1 needed rentals. Had them set up for pick up at snow shed. Pulled in to park at 7. Some overly empowerd fat bastard got out of his car and asked what I was doing. No signage for the valet area was out. He was not wearing a name tag or K employee gear. I simply explained to him I was picking up rentals and tickets for my guests. His attitude was dumpster worthy. The fat guy in a coat that is too small. Got the rentals for my guest. Moved on to start over at the 6. The rental boots for my guest were not good. Easy fix. Skate past K1.Dip back into snowshed. Wrong! Got yelled at by an renta cop ambassador. This is closed you can't go over there. His attitude sucked. Aggressive. I explained to him. I have a boot problem with a guest and we need to go back to snow shed to get it fixed. He finally let us pass. Problem fixed. Put the kiddos on run of the day snowshed while we fixed boot issue. Off to K1. Snow sucked on great northern. Ice and crap. Better conditions out toward Rte 4 for my guests. Lifts broken and not running. North brook broken. Needles broken. I paid a lot of money for my pass and to bring first time guests. Not impressed. Employees need to stop getting cranked on redbull and coke. Had I not been with the ladies. I would probably be in jail for beating rude employees. Killington needs to do better. I know I should never ski on a weekend day. Very disappointing. :dislike
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

ANGUS wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 12:44 Sunday was less than good. Call it disappointing. Brought some family. For their first time at K. 1 needed rentals. Had them set up for pick up at snow shed. Pulled in to park at 7. Some overly empowerd fat bastard got out of his car and asked what I was doing. No signage for the valet area was out. He was not wearing a name tag or K employee gear. I simply explained to him I was picking up rentals and tickets for my guests. His attitude was dumpster worthy. The fat guy in a coat that is too small. Got the rentals for my guest. Moved on to start over at the 6. The rental boots for my guest were not good. Easy fix. Skate past K1.Dip back into snowshed. Wrong! Got yelled at by an renta cop ambassador. This is closed you can't go over there. His attitude sucked. Aggressive. I explained to him. I have a boot problem with a guest and we need to go back to snow shed to get it fixed. He finally let us pass. Problem fixed. Put the kiddos on run of the day snowshed while we fixed boot issue. Off to K1. Snow sucked on great northern. Ice and crap. Better conditions out toward Rte 4 for my guests. Lifts broken and not running. North brook broken. Needles broken. I paid a lot of money for my pass and to bring first time guests. Not impressed. Employees need to stop getting cranked on redbull and coke. Had I not been with the ladies. I would probably be in jail for beating rude employees. Killington needs to do better. I know I should never ski on a weekend day. Very disappointing. :dislike

So good to hear the truth instead of the BS that comes from the some of our more prolific posters. The resort should not "get a pass" on issues regarding lifts that should be running or employees with shltty condescending attitudes.
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

I usually base out of K1. (Call me crazy, but there's a method to my madness.) Last trip, my adult daughter was with me, one day we based out of Snowshed so she could do a midday work call in relative quiet. It was either Weds the 31st or Thurs the 1st. Pull into the lot at 8ish, witnessed some employee endlessly berating the parking lot guy for doing his job. Even if the berater was right, he was wrong. It was a shitty condescending attitude. No employee should behave that way in front of paying guests.

This guy was an exception. In general, I've had excellent interactions over the years with K employees. But still.

For normal people, it costs A Lot of Money to spend time on the slopes, and there are a lot of other things clamoring for those dollars. The employees need to keep that in mind.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

mdskiguy wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 15:15 I usually base out of K1. (Call me crazy, but there's a method to my madness.) Last trip, my adult daughter was with me, one day we based out of Snowshed so she could do a midday work call in relative quiet. It was either Weds the 31st or Thurs the 1st. Pull into the lot at 8ish, witnessed some employee endlessly berating the parking lot guy for doing his job. Even if the berater was right, he was wrong. It was a shitty condescending attitude. No employee should behave that way in front of paying guests.

This guy was an exception. In general, I've had excellent interactions over the years with K employees. But still.

For normal people, it costs A Lot of Money to spend time on the slopes, and there are a lot of other things clamoring for those dollars. The employees need to keep that in mind.
I'll second that. 99% of K employees are amazing. Many friends work here. I can excuse poor snow conditions and broken lifts. Poor employees I can't.
They are the face of the resort. I'm thankfull I had my kindness and understanding helmet on. Good employees are hard to come by. The rest of opertaion should not be judged by the actions of a few. Hard to explain to first time guests. Poor optics for the mountain and not a positive first impression for visitors.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Bubba wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 21:30
What is "Pres's Pitch"?
Welcome to our insanity!

Apparently he has better pitch than we’ve realized IMG_4734.jpeg
Photo taken from Bubba's Motorola flip phone while laying sideways.