Chute merge with Great Eastern

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mogulee
Beginner On Rentals

Chute merge with Great Eastern

Post by Mogulee »

Is there anything in the plans to get the Chute under-chair mid area fixed and safer ?

The awkward diagonal merge off of Great Northern before the tunnel and then the merge after the tunnel... and then the 'cross posts' that take up about 20' x '6' of area that further constrains this dangerous merge stated.. that then quickly comes to a "SLOW" sign. It just really sucks for a ski resort of Killington's brand imo. The bubble is such an awesome chair but there cannot be many out there that are happy with how this Chute area is designed. It is downright dangerous. And it seems like how this is setup with the cross poles and all has been this way for many years, like we should just accept it as those paying 188 for a ticket for a weekend day.

Are there any plans in the works to fix this ? To me it is a black eye on what otherwise is a wonderful lift and trail series.

Is there a better place for me to submit my concern to those that do the spring time work on the trails ? Let me know please.

Thank you.
Low Rider
Black Carver

Re: Chute merge with Great Eastern

Post by Low Rider »

Mogulee wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 08:52 Is there anything in the plans to get the Chute under-chair mid area fixed and safer ?

The awkward diagonal merge off of Great Northern before the tunnel and then the merge after the tunnel... and then the 'cross posts' that take up about 20' x '6' of area that further constrains this dangerous merge stated.. that then quickly comes to a "SLOW" sign. It just really sucks for a ski resort of Killington's brand imo. The bubble is such an awesome chair but there cannot be many out there that are happy with how this Chute area is designed. It is downright dangerous. And it seems like how this is setup with the cross poles and all has been this way for many years, like we should just accept it as those paying 188 for a ticket for a weekend day.

Are there any plans in the works to fix this ? To me it is a black eye on what otherwise is a wonderful lift and trail series.

Is there a better place for me to submit my concern to those that do the spring time work on the trails ? Let me know please.

Thank you.
If you think it is bad now, you should have seen it pre tunnel when it was the great northern / bunny / mouse / chute / people waiting in the poma lift line intersection. The tunnel and current layout is vastly better than it used to be.
Last edited by Low Rider on Feb 12th, '24, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Mogulee wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 08:52 Is there anything in the plans to get the Chute under-chair mid area fixed and safer ?

Thank you.
Plans to fix it? What your talking about is the fix! While it's far from perfect, as low rider said it's better than it was.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

There shouldn't be that big a merge after the tunnel. The incentive is to send all the GN people through it. The Chute people go over the bridge and if heading to mid chute they don't cross the tunnel exit. The bigger problem at the tunnel exit is people stop to chat, meet, contemplate and clog up the tunnel flow.

The cross sticks on mid Chute are because the lift is too low there. No idea why it was built that way, but we're stuck with it now.

The slow sign at the busy Chute/Mouse Trap junction isn't going away either, and really doesn't pose much of an interruption.

The grading into the tunnel isn't ideal either... that might be able to get regraded some budget surplus year. But then it's a blue trail... blue skiers should be able to handle that.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

There are no plans to fix it because what you see is the fix. There's only so much you can do when so many trails merge.

Fix the lifts, the trails are fine.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

Bring back snowshed cross over!!!
Ski It If You Can!..
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

They spent a lot of money to create that sh!t show. I always laugh watching from the Bubble as new skiers come shooting out of the tunnel after that tight turn only to be sent zooming down a relatively steep slope for a beginner trail into another tight corner. Pretty poor design for a beginner trail if you asked me.

Killington has way, way too many crossing trails for the current skier density on a busy Saturday. On any other day of the week it's probably fine. But on Saturdays the mountain gets so crowded that these intersections become downright dangerous.
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

Agreed. I also noticed that all of the trails are lined with trees. So dangerous!
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

I agree that for the high volume choke point that it is, where Great Northern passes under the Bunny Buster tunnel is annoying. With good conditions and light crowd, it's a fun ski, but as it gets filled with choppy granular and other skiers, it becomes less fun. I don't have much problem with the downhill side of the tunnel, though.

Chute-under-the-lift, though. So annoying. Because of the way the slope is tilted toward skiers' left, and its often icy condition, it is often more annoying than fun, becoming an obstacle to be gotten through to get to Bunny Buster, being the only sane blue path back to the K1 Lodge from Snowden/Ramshead. I generally examine Mouse Trap from the bubble, and unless it's in bad shape, I choose it over Chute-under-the-lift. As a competent if somewhat unadventurous solid blue skier, I'd much rather do Mouse Trap on a good day than the annoying Chute-under-the-lift.

Easy solution -- Open the road from Great Northern to the junction of Chute-under-the-lift, lower-Chute, and Mouse Trap. They could easily fill a bit of the dip in the road, if that is even needed, and easily change the whole nature of the area.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

mdskiguy wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 14:48 Open the road from Great Northern to the junction of Chute-under-the-lift, lower-Chute, and Mouse Trap. They could easily fill a bit of the dip in the road, if that is even needed, and easily change the whole nature of the area.
That should have never been closed and taken completely off the board. Should still be a trail! Typical lame Killington BS
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Grmmtnhkr34
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

Skid Mark wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 08:52 Agreed. I also noticed that all of the trails are lined with trees. So dangerous!
I think they should deforest the slopes for a safer ski environment. Only carpet lifts too to get rid of the towers. 2 1/2 mile long skyeship Carpet. Imagine the pitch on the bear mountain carpet! All in the name of ski safety for the weekend jerrys!!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

ski wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 14:51
mdskiguy wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 14:48 Open the road from Great Northern to the junction of Chute-under-the-lift, lower-Chute, and Mouse Trap. They could easily fill a bit of the dip in the road, if that is even needed, and easily change the whole nature of the area.
That should have never been closed and taken completely off the board. Should still be a trail! Typical lame Killington BS
I too don't understand why this isn't open...pretty sure they already blow snow on it to move equipment. Rate it blue to keep the newbs on GN... Close mid chute on weekends with a net if they're worried about adding a trail/congestion to the intersection.
ImageImageImageImage
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Skid Mark wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 08:52 Agreed. I also noticed that all of the trails are lined with trees. So dangerous!
Big difference between natural obstacles that don't move and high numbers of clueless unskilled skiers not paying attention zooming through crossing trails. Killington could do something about the latter pretty easily by capping the number of riders on the hill once it reaches unsafe levels. Would be safer, better the product, and I assume you wouldn't have an issue with less crowded slopes?
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Stormchaser wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 14:54
ski wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 14:51
I too don't understand why this isn't open...pretty sure they already blow snow on it to move equipment. Rate it blue to keep the newbs on GN... Close mid chute on weekends with a net if they're worried about adding a trail/congestion to the intersection.
The mountain spent all this money to build the tunnels to keep the green traffic separate from the downhill Mousetrap/Chute blue/black skiers and now you guys seem to be in agreement that they got it wrong. Bringing back the Bowling Alley seems to be your answer. Can we also bring the Snowshed crossover path as that had the best bowling. Allowing the downhill traffic to take out the green crossing traffic was a Killington signature. Survival of the fittest. Let's take back Killington and make skiing great again.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Agreed. Just point them downhill and ski, problem solved.