SkyeShip Gondala > Number of busted chairs..

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Re: SkyeShip Gondala > Number of busted chairs..

Post by jimmywilson69 »

even if making snow or getting natural snow to the base of skyeship becomes unviable in the future a gonodola could be used to shuttle people to and from Needles. This is the exact setup that Breck and Telluride have. It needs to be remain a gondola and it should be refurbed/retrofitted now.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Closing the Skye Ship Gondola would set the relationship with the town back to where it was in the Fall of 2007 after Nyberg tried limiting its operation. Ain’t gonna happen.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Post by Eddytheyetti »

Double down on the skyship and extend the bike park. We can bike until thanksgiving and start up in early may. Thanks to the foliage, Killington has the best dirt in the world. With 3000 feet of vertical in the bike park the resort will be world class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

well that's something I never thought of... Hard to think they make enough $$$ to run 2 gondolas and 2 lifts. but maybe they do.

You are correct though, they could collapse the bike park to operate off of skyeship only once things start happening in the basin.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

They used to use the skyeship for mountain biking back in the 90's when it ran to the top and before the K1 gondola was built 96-97. Then they stopped using it after the K1 gondola was built. Used to be the Killington double and skyeship. It was fun riding all the way down to the base of Skyeship. They didn't have a lot of trails going down there though. It was just 2 or 3.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Skyeship never went all the way to the top, assume you mean the old K Gondy?

I am not a mountain biker but one has to think the terrain would be quite amazing down to Route 4. I am thinking all of those natural only trails like lower Home Stretch, etc that weave in and out of GE would be gold for MTB.

The largest issue I see besides running two gondolas in the off-season is there likely is no overlap on Skyeship for the non-MTB crowd. Right now that type of customer can pay short money for a ride up K-1 to buy a $20 burger and ride or hike back down. If enough time and energy was put into it, could a park and scenic ride up from Route 4 be marketable along with MTB? I am not sure... There certainly are throngs of tourists in the area (think Woodstock) on the weekends. They are going to have a brand new kitchen and remodeled lodge there now, maybe they can start selling those $20 burgers there as well to capitalize on that. I must admit the appeal of driving over Route 4 and seeing that sky bridge with scenic rides and MTB access could be appealing.

I do think they need to do something to capitalize on having a gateway to the resort right there on Route 4, I just don't know what that would look like.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Yes, whatever it was called before it was refurbished and renamed Skyeship. Trying not to confuse people... geez...
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

There really wasn't much at the time going down to Route 4. No singletrack. Maybe parts of juggernaut and great eastern from what I remember? I have to see if I can find a trail map from back then. I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere. Doubtful they'll revive that gondola for biking or scenic rides especially since it doesn't go to the top anymore...
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

RENO wrote: Apr 12th, '24, 11:02 There really wasn't much at the time going down to Route 4. No singletrack. Maybe parts of juggernaut and great eastern from what I remember? I have to see if I can find a trail map from back then. I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere. Doubtful they'll revive that gondola for biking or scenic rides especially since it doesn't go to the top anymore...
Butt it should...
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

RENO wrote: Apr 12th, '24, 11:02 There really wasn't much at the time going down to Route 4. No singletrack. Maybe parts of juggernaut and great eastern from what I remember? I have to see if I can find a trail map from back then. I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere. Doubtful they'll revive that gondola for biking or scenic rides especially since it doesn't go to the top anymore...
do have a recollection of riding the skyeship for mtn biking. didn't go to the peak. top of skye peak where it currently unloads. and yeah wasn't real mtn biking per se. do remember GE & juggernaut.

as for a new lift going to the summit. very difficult. gondola stations require lots of room and there isn't any that makes sense and provides access to the peak lodge. best you could do would be top of SR. also can't imagine the shitshow on GN unloading that many people up there.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

It did go to the peak 93-95 whatever the name of it was then. At least a couple of those years. I still remember doing a faceplant coming down that trail near the bottom! LOL and going back up on the gondola to the peak bleeding and going to the bathroom to clean my bloody face. Do you not remember the big giant hole in the side of the peak lodge before they tore it down to build the new peak lodge?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

nope never went to the summit. first of all, remember most folks being disappointed that they replaced the original gondy with a lift that didn't go the summit. they would have never built a lift to go to the summit and then shorten it a couple years later. ridiculous. that giant hole in the peak lodge was from the original gondola.

and here's a link to chairlift history at K. read it for yourself:

http://www.chairlift.org/killington.html
spoiled South American skiin' whore
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

RENO wrote: Apr 12th, '24, 20:17 It did go to the peak 93-95 whatever the name of it was then. At least a couple of those years. I still remember doing a faceplant coming down that trail near the bottom! LOL and going back up on the gondola to the peak bleeding and going to the bathroom to clean my bloody face. Do you not remember the big giant hole in the side of the peak lodge before they tore it down to build the new peak lodge?
Yes the original Killington 4 person gondola went to the summit but was replaced in 1994. It's replacement (Skyeship) did not go to the summit due to stage 3 wind and K-1 coming shortly thereafter. I don't think the red K Gondola had mountain biking but I could be wrong. Since I was born in '81 this is before my time but I've seen pictures of the original K Gondola used for scenic does in the 70s.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

The Skyeship was a complete replacement of the original gondola. New towers, stations, everything. Not a refurb. I would be very surprised if a replacement of the cabins with Diamond 8s like they did on the K1 is not on the list of future projects.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

PinnacleJim wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 07:03 I would be very surprised if a replacement of the cabins with Diamond 8s like they did on the K1 is not on the list of future projects.
Such a list would be fairly meaningless, unless it includes actual funding and planned dates for it to happen. So far, there is ZERO indication that they plan to do anything with the Skyeship in the immediate future, aside from running it with fewer and fewer working cars each season.

I'm sure the Interconnect is on a list somewhere. It doesn't mean it will happen in our lifetimes.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.