Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Is Killington for sale?

Post by Stormchaser »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 09:39
Stormchaser wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 09:20
easyrider16 wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 09:01I mean how much do you think they had to shell out for that special part at the Needles quad?
And how much did they save on not running and manning the lift all year? Gotta be a wash.
I doubt they saved anything on labor - those lifties weren't fired, they were probably just repurposed. Kinda hard to fire people and then rehire them a month or two later. Energy savings, maybe some. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether that's a wash.
Full time hours reduced to part time in many departments...I'm assuming lift ops included.
ImageImageImageImage
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Ah, good point, I didn't think of that.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Bubba wrote: Feb 20th, '24, 22:34
twilkas wrote: Feb 20th, '24, 20:31 fine bubba, but skid mark gets the win with the simpons grandpa quote. kzone is also noted for some good humor too.
'now where were we...'
:lol: :lol: I wouldn’t know a Simpsons quote from a quote from Ulysses. Carry on…
funny enough, there's a Homer Simpson too :lol:
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 09:01
Skid Mark wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 07:42 "Weird inflation spikes" 🤦‍♂️
Yeah, as in, the cost of certain items went way up, but the cost of other things didn't change much. Example - PPI for machinery and equipment parts spiked by 5-6% in late 2023 - well above the average rate of inflation for that period. By contrast, over the same period, HVAC and commercial refrigeration equipment was pretty stable. I mean how much do you think they had to shell out for that special part at the Needles quad? And that's just one example - I'm sure there are others that we have heard nothing about. A couple of those things costing more than anticipated could easily blow up a capital maintenance budget and prompt cuts elsewhere.

Would also make sense for Powdr to order cuts to food service - food has had some of the highest inflation of all, and I could see some exec at Powdr deciding some company-wide cuts were in order after seeing a food budget balloon upward.

Sources:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/WPU571
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PCU3334133341
As much as I'd like to bang on our current US Administration - another weird spike was for eggs , due to avian bird flu.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

twilkas wrote: Feb 20th, '24, 19:31
asher2789 wrote: Feb 20th, '24, 10:44
twilkas wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 20:10 Restaurant industry streamlining offerings partly to make it easier to train new people. wouldn't read too much into that, other than functionality (and profitability... ducking now, go ez asher, :lol: )
IMO its about cutting labor costs to look good on a spreadsheet. if training people was a problem they wouldnt of started the season off offering the product... after all every season its mostly new J1s running the back of the house.

and i hope my tidbit about pub food isnt coming off as whiny, i just find it strange to not serve food in a bar full of hungry people willing to pay because the mountain wants its spreadsheets to look good. why, if not trying to sell?
disagree. those same J1's were likely re-deployed around the resort as needed. if you know different, please tell. k may have had hopes for f/b sales there, yet if only a fraction of expected customers were showing up, axe it. that's just good management. unlikely any pertinent spreadsheets reflecting this for a sale would be timely enough at this point anyway, if k is up for sale at all. not whiny on your part, not in imo anyway
most seasons a new crop of J1s arrives is what i was referring to, not a new crop mid season. and the J1s get moved around the mountain all the time but usually stay in the department they were hired in (as do some of the local workers, for example the snowmaker who was bumping chairs at south ridge).
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

hillbangin wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 08:39
rogman wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 07:39 The difference this year is that POWDR appears to be doing a lot of micro managing, where in the past they deferred to the local decision makers (aka Mike and his team). For example, I have been told the decision to drop midweek bar food came from POWDR. That’s a weird flex, even for them.
So POWDR is for sale????????????????? Squeezing the lemon.
thats my thought. i think theyre gonna be taken over by alterra. https://www.powder.com/trending-news/al ... -3-billion
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

https://www.saminfo.com/news/sam-headli ... or-alterra
This article speculates that POWDR is a target of Alterra. The lack of a denial by POWDR to a rumor published in a ski area specific magazine is interesting, and while any comment by them would be unusual, I’d expect POWDR to better protect the brand if it isn’t true. It encourages the vultures to circle.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

For sale? Maybe Powder forgot to renew their sweetheart super cheap 99 year lease for the ski trail land.....bwahahahahaha
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Would that mean Woodward would/could get the boot? It's a Powdr entity.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Kind of weird that SAM (Ski Area Magazine) is getting their rumor info reading Kzone. Shades of MIB using the National Enquirer as their tip sheet. :roll:
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Everything is for sale at the right price, butt I doubt Powdr would have to sell because of a lack of cash. One ski operator who would be a favorable buyer is Boyne, they understand the east coast issues and are not afraid to upgrade lifts and snowmaking first with lodge upgrades after that is complete. Most of you are not familur with them coming from NY, Conn, and Jersey since they operate in Maine and NH. I have seen more Jersy plates in Loom's parking lot this season.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22