Is Killington for sale?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skibikeclimbguy
Black Carver

Is Killington for sale?

Post by skibikeclimbguy »

I think a lot of the issues we see are a direct result of intentional cuts in expenses to increase valuation ahead of a potential sale. Cutting expenses, which we are clearly seeing, is one way to generate profits and increase valuation. Alterra is spending money, is Killington a potential acquisition target?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Is Killington for sale?

Post by daytripper »

I sure hope not, if K was unlimited ikon imagine what weekend crowds would be like.
skibikeclimbguy
Black Carver

Post by skibikeclimbguy »

daytripper wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 10:29 I sure hope not, if K was unlimited ikon imagine what weekend crowds would be like.
Agree 100%. I’d rather Killington be independent without any mega pass access. I’m just trying to figure out the reason for this years operational and infrastructure sh*t show and preparing their finances for a sale makes sense.
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

skibikeclimbguy wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 10:57
daytripper wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 10:29 I sure hope not, if K was unlimited ikon imagine what weekend crowds would be like.
Agree 100%. I’d rather Killington be independent without any mega pass access. I’m just trying to figure out the reason for this years operational and infrastructure sh*t show and preparing their finances for a sale makes sense.
Well - there already is mega pass access. So as Killington passholders we are getting the Ikon crowd but don't get the reciprocal benefits of the Ikon pass - its kind of the worst of both worlds.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Low Rider wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 11:00
Well - there already is mega pass access. So as Killington passholders we are getting the Ikon crowd but don't get the reciprocal benefits of the Ikon pass - its kind of the worst of both worlds.
If alterra bought K, it would become unlimited Ikon, not just 5 days a year. This would make things much worse.
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

daytripper wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 11:06
Low Rider wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 11:00
If alterra bought K, it would become unlimited Ikon, not just 5 days a year. This would make things much worse.
Right now it is 5 or 7 depending on Ikon or Ikon Base.

Most Ikon pass holders are roamers - i'm not convinced that many would use it much more than 7 times unless they really preferred Killington to all the other Ikon resorts in region.

I'd probably take my chances with that and then not have to buy extra lift tickets for a western trip or to go ski with friends on the random weekend at another New England resort.

Who knows though? Maybe the Ikon swarm would be even more if we were unlimited.
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

Anything is for sale for the right price.

Bump Killy under Vail or Alterra and you sure would see some changes. Lots positive. Lots negative. See some serious employee turnover as well.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

It's a good time to sell - they need to sink ALOT of money into this place.

It's half dumpy and half nice.

Stage 1 is a $20M problem - and the village is going to be very disruptive.

They need new chairs at Rams, Supe, Needles - Another $20M??

Never mind the snowmaking.........

They are already in bed with Aspen - so they won't be selling to anyone else IMO.

I'd take the full IKON - K can't be any more crowded on Saturdays.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

ASC All-4-1 Bronze has entered the chat.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
heiusa
Blue Chatterbox

Post by heiusa »

Not all Alterra mountains are unlimited, Aspen and Deer Valley only get 7 days access on the full pass.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

hillbangin wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 16:31 It's a good time to sell - they need to sink ALOT of money into this place.

They are already in bed with Aspen - so they won't be selling to anyone else IMO.

Skyeship doesn't need to be and won't be replaced wholesale but they could replace all 4 terminals and the cabins for less than half of that.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 18:19
hillbangin wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 16:31 It's a good time to sell - they need to sink ALOT of money into this place.

Skyeship doesn't need to be and won't be replaced wholesale but they could replace all 4 terminals and the cabins for less than half of that.
When was the last time Skyship saw a mojor component replacement? And I am not refering to installing the K 1 cabins on Skyship?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

killington's one of powdr's cash cows. would doubt they'd sell it especially w the long awaited village apparently becoming a reality unless they have some debt payments due and desperately need the money.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Big Bob wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 18:47

When was the last time Skyship saw a mojor component replacement? And I am not refering to installing the K 1 cabins on Skyship?
No clue, but obviously it needs more than it's getting...
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

So it's an $8M problem?