Is Killington for sale?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

twilkas
Tree Psycho

Re: Is Killington for sale?

Post by twilkas »

Restaurant industry streamlining offerings partly to make it easier to train new people. wouldn't read too much into that, other than functionality (and profitability... ducking now, go ez asher, :lol: )
Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Post by Eddytheyetti »

wtf021 wrote:Now they are charging people $20 to enter the pond skimming contest. This reeks of desperation.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2024-pond- ... l_uexMh8c8
There were lots of people turned away last year. Like more people were turned away than actually did the pond skim. We lined up at 0730 to skim at 10:30. This is just crowd control, same thing with Easter Sunrise service. If you have a spot reserved you can go all out building a better costume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

They could have you reserve a spot without charging you money, this is just another money grab if it's real.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

daytripper wrote: Feb 20th, '24, 08:38 They could have you reserve a spot without charging you money, this is just another money grab if it's real.
It's real and yet another money grab . . . . Really lame BS by Killington . . . And please don't say it's Powdr Corp. This one is owned by K management.
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Bubba wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 15:51 How about the easy answer? They got clobbered with weather damage during the summer, spent a good chuck of the fall recovering, then had a lousy Christmas. They're managing to meet their preset annual financial goals, resulting in cuts here and there that mostly midweek regulars will take note of.
You beat me to it Bubba ! Though, I focus more on the summer flooding / repairs more than a "lousy" Christmas week.

Also, I for one don't believe replacement of the Supe lift has anything to do with FIS and the WC races. Does anyone have any real, concrete info, to back this up one way or the other?
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

hillbangin wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 13:05
asher2789 wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 00:05 cutting back on pub food
What cutting back?

No cutting back I've noticed at the Peak, Snowshed, or K1?

They did take the smelly pizza oven out of Bear -

And no little kids so no more Ramshead...
they cut all midweek pub food. it makes sense to cut here and there when business levels are down because of shitty weather (like its r*ining that day for example) but it doesnt make sense to have it be regularly cut... its so high margin theres no way the revenue is lower than the labor cost to keep it running. IMO its one of those decisions that makes spreadsheets look great but doesnt make sense IRL.

also you dont make a fancy new lodge and then cut the products and services offered by it (the cafe/bar next to the cafeteria, pub food).
Last edited by asher2789 on Feb 20th, '24, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

hillbangin wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 16:59
Bubba wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 15:51 How about the easy answer? They got clobbered with weather damage during the summer, spent a good chuck of the fall recovering, then had a lousy Christmas. They're managing to meet their preset annual financial goals, resulting in cuts here and there that mostly midweek regulars will take note of.
That was one of the worst Christmas' I can remember - right into New Years.

Hell of a Recovery -
2015/2016 was a far worse year than this year and they didnt nearly cut back on services then compared to now. i wasnt here for irene but skyeship got clobbered back then too....

every department had their labor costs cut this season... people promised full time hours reduced to part time. its noticeable. in 2015/2016 the mountain did everything they could to keep their people employed despite the weather being outside of their control. they were closed on christmas! too many dirt patches to keep rime and reason open.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

twilkas wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 20:10 Restaurant industry streamlining offerings partly to make it easier to train new people. wouldn't read too much into that, other than functionality (and profitability... ducking now, go ez asher, :lol: )
IMO its about cutting labor costs to look good on a spreadsheet. if training people was a problem they wouldnt of started the season off offering the product... after all every season its mostly new J1s running the back of the house.

and i hope my tidbit about pub food isnt coming off as whiny, i just find it strange to not serve food in a bar full of hungry people willing to pay because the mountain wants its spreadsheets to look good. why, if not trying to sell?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

daytripper wrote: Feb 20th, '24, 08:38 They could have you reserve a spot without charging you money, this is just another money grab if it's real.
uh no, it's about demand. they're donating the proceeds from both the pond skim and the easter service to charity.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

skiadikt wrote:
uh no, it's about demand. they're donating the proceeds from both the pond skim and the easter service to charity.
Good for K. They've been doing that a bunch lately.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Good lord this place is so unhinged about everything right now.

No wonder Mike won't come here and clear the air...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

skiadikt wrote: Feb 20th, '24, 14:47
You think the would say that up front and limit the conspiracy theories . . But nooooo . . The Resort loves to fan the flames of misinformation.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

To be fair I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that charging $20 for 100 people is not a money grab.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 20th, '24, 16:19 To be fair I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that charging $20 for 100 people is not a money grab.
It is when it has been FREE for 65 years. Sure, it's only 2k . . and they are donating to charity(the rumor has it on Kzone)

Why not just donate the 2k and not try to squeeze your clientele for the donation ? Lame shlt. . .

Why not donate Fast Tracks to Vermont Adaptive?

Remember when you would buy a ski pass and you got a plastic pass with your picture and name? Now they cost $5 and the are in no way as cool as the old-school passes.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

hillbangin wrote: Feb 20th, '24, 15:01
skiadikt wrote:
Good for K. They've been doing that a bunch lately.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

guac.jpeg
guac.jpeg (88.8 KiB) Viewed 325 times